World Cup 2014

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by PeteC »

3-0 final. I don't know what to say about Brazil.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote:3-0 final. I don't know what to say about Brazil.
Dire basically. Would think it's going to be a fairly short meeting for "Big Phil" this evening.

Not that it made any difference to the result, but some questionable refereeing decisions once again. With what's at stake at this level, you would hope and expect that the standard and consistency of refereeing would be of the highest standard.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It seemed obvious to me that throughout the 2nd half Brazil was playing for the foul/free kick rather than playing the game the correct way. Oscar got yellow carded for diving in the penalty area, the first in the world cup and probably in any world cup. Desperation prevailed.

I really would have liked to see the Dutch against the Germans, but not to be.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

As the better team the Dutch were deserved winners, but it was one of those 'what if' games.
The 3rd minute penalty should have been a foul outside the box (though there might have been an argument that the Brazilian defender should have been sent off?). So, still 0-0 (probably).
The 'dive' that Oscar was booked for should have been a penalty to Brazil. 1-1
And from there, who knows?

How that Algerian ref came to be chosen to go this far is completely beyond me. I don't remember him being particularly good in any of his previous games. Pick the best man for the job and leave geopolitics out of it.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've seen a few things today saying the Final starts at 0200 Thai time rather then the normal 0300 hours. Is that correct? I wonder if the first hour is ceremony? Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BBC Football says 20:00, so 2am it is then.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:BBC Football says 20:00, so 2am it is then.
Thanks. Thinking about it, the end is probably an hour or so of ceremony therefore the early start. I hope I make it, the body and mind is starting to wear out! :laugh:...... But I'll miss it when over.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'll make the effort tonight. Unfortunately my interest seriously waned after the England vs Uruguay match.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Check out this awesome rock shaped like the World Cup trophy in Thailand

:roll:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/12/check-out ... d-4795928/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Congratulations to Germany! It was a beautiful goal when it finally came.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Fascinating game that overall, Germany deserved to win.

Sad that the Argies reverted to type towards the end.
Talk is cheap
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Close game and one where the longer it went on, just the one goal would win it.

The Argies had their chances, probably clearer cut than the Germans . . . . . but it's all about taking them.
Great finish from Goetze from an arguably more difficult opportunity than Palacio's.
As for Higuain's miss in the first half :shock: that's gonna haunt him :oops:

Just like FIFA to end the WC 2014 on a sour note though.
Golden ball winner for the tournament . . . . . Lionel Messi :shock: :oops: :banghead:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Congrats to Germany on a deserved win - great goal, pity there wasn't more attempts. I hadn't realised how young a side Germany were - Euro champions etc.?

Not a bad game for the "part-timer" like myself, unfortunately the usual swan dives, milking of tackles and a fair few cynical fouls (predominately by Argentina).... would be nice just once to watch a match without the theatrics and BS. On a positive note, I thought the refereeing was far better than had been seen in the last few matches.

I'm not a huge fan of Wendyball (sorry Caller), but do make the effort during the World Cup. Can't say I was overly impressed with this one, but did enjoy a couple of the matches - yet it's been described as the best yet :shock: ! Far from it IMHO.. (a World Cup without Brazil - let's face it, they were cr@p).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28268842
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote:Fascinating game that overall, Germany deserved to win.
Sad that the Argies reverted to type towards the end.
I usually like to be rooting for one team, but in this game it was more a case of which team I wanted to lose most... and it was a pretty tight choice! :laugh:
In the end I decided to plump for a good, entertaining game and may the best team win. Which I think is what we got. It's the best 0-0 (after 90 mins) I've seen in a long time. A great goal to win the game, and by that time, with Argentina up to their usual tricks, I was rooting for Germany. Schweinsteiger is now my hero.
redzonerocker wrote: Just like FIFA to end the WC 2014 on a sour note though.
Golden ball winner for the tournament . . . . . Lionel Messi :shock: :oops: :banghead:
That is truly bizarre.
pharvey wrote: On a positive note, I thought the refereeing was far better than had been seen in the last few matches.
I disagree, I thought the ref bottled out of several really crucial decisions. I don't like seeing players sent off, but Argentina could have finished the game with 8 players on the pitch.
And the supposed foul by Higuain on the German keeper was an odd decision to say the least.
This is the way
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

[quote="redzonerocker.
Just like FIFA to end the WC 2014 on a sour note though.
Golden ball winner for the tournament . . . . . Lionel Messi :shock: :oops: :banghead:[/quote]

He looked really thrilled to get his trophy though :roll: and he was the only Argie to take his medal from around his neck, I can understand his disappointment but not a very good look.