The Surfing Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Surfing Thread

Post by PeteC »

Good stuff! There's a name for waves like that...perhaps called "heavy water", I'm not sure. Simply a huge volume of water condensed into a small area.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Nereus wrote: It is one of the world's most notorious breaks, so dangerous even WA surf veteran Taj Burrow had never dared to take it on - until now.

On Friday, Burrow ventured south from his Yallingup home to ride the "wildest wave" he has seen in 18 years of professional surfing and the result has been dubbed the most dangerous surf photo ever taken.
'The Right' is one of the heaviest waves, no doubt. Nothing but props to those who attempt it. However, the shoulder of The Right, if one makes it, has far less energy than the peak. And surfers, like mountain climbers, recognize achievements if you finish what you started, i.e., make it down the mountain or don't wipe out.

Teahupoo is heavy because the ocean bottom is similar to The Right. Except Teahupoo doesn't have a peak - it's all wall and lip.
koa-rothman-teahupoo-635x339.jpg
When photos of Teahupoo were first published, many thought they were doctored, especially if the photo showed the horizon. Look at the water to the left of the trough - it IS flowing down hill. That's not an illusion. Nobody had ever published a photo with this combination of ocean bottom and wave size.
lh at choop-700b.jpg
nathan-fletcher-teahupoo.jpg
nathan-fletcher-teahupoo.jpg (82.14 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
teahupoo 2.JPG
The lip (top of the wave that falls over to make a tube) is as thick as it appears. These waves are breaking in ~8' of water and the lip is landing in ~3' of water.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Surf's up in California as Hurricane Marie blows by

http://www.bangkokpost.com/multimedia/v ... e-blows-by
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:Surf's up in California as Hurricane Marie blows by

http://www.bangkokpost.com/multimedia/v ... e-blows-by

Yes, all types of warnings out here on the TV!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

oops!
surfer.jpg
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Check this one out, just for the beauty of the water. You would think Tahiti or similar......really Laguna beach between LA and San Diego. :D Pete :cheers:

phpWUOH6DPM.jpg
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Is it possible for a tube ride video shot with a hand held GoPro to be so long it's boring? I mean boring at actual speed, it's not in slow motion.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c04_1412201488
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Size Matters.

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

The Right in WA

For decades The Right was thought to be an unrideable monster because of it's shape, shapes and the wave-within-a-wave. Tow-in surfing made it a rideable monster. But in the right conditions, the only thing monstrous about it is the power - and the brass possessed by the riders.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Wipeouts

Post by migrant »

The worst wipeout awards!

I liked this one

More here

http://www.surfermag.com/surfer-poll/
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'll put this here instead of a new topic as worth a watch. Snow surfing? :D

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

SUP = standup paddleboard.
SUPsquatch = giant inflatable SUP
Seven surfers on a Supsquatch paddling for big wave at Makaha = Priceless.

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Surfers ready for Margs monster swell

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regio ... ter-swell/

Surfers and onlookers have packed the Gracetown carpark this morning to watch the first sets of a monster swell roll in.

The first surfers were in the water as the sun rose, watched by a handful of keen observers from the rocks. By 9am, the area was jammed with dozens of cars, many pulling jet skis, as several groups set out to tow surfers into the rolling swell.
One of the first to emerge successfully from a barrel was WA surfer Dave Delroy Carr.

The huge waves have been generated by a massive storm the size of Australia, which has been moving through the southern Indian Ocean.

The face of the waves across the south west were forecast to potentially hit nine metres today, while those expected at offshore reef breaks at the peak this afternoon could be up to 18m, said Surf Line forecaster Kevin Wallis.
surf2.jpg
surf1.jpg
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!