Pacquiao v Mayweather

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Pacquiao v Mayweather

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote:I think its 10 am in Thailand

:cheers: :cheers:
The programme may start at 10am but if the BBC website is correct, the fight is scheduled to begin at 11 am so it will be an hour of talk etc first.
This is from the BBC
Venue: MGM Grand, Las Vegas. Date: 2/3 May: 21:00 local time/05:00 Sunday BST
Coverage: Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

All very conflicting information it seems... :? Sod's law if I don't get up for 4 am I'll be missing the fight... whilst if I do, the damn thing won't start for a good hour later!! :banghead: :roll:

This taken from the Daily Telegraph: - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... annel.html

"Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao will finally step into the ring on Saturday May 2 in Las Vegas – the modern-day home of boxing. The doors will open at the venue at 2pm local time, with the first bout scheduled at 3pm and the main event five hours later circa 8pm.
Las Vegas is eight hours behind the United Kingdom which means Mayweather vs Pacquiao will not begin in this country until around 4am on Sunday at UK time."

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

The fight would normally start somewhere in the 10-11 Thai time, but could be as late as around 12. These times I predict due to previous fights held in Las Vegas.
pharvey

Re:

Post by pharvey »

huahin4ever wrote:The fight would normally start somewhere in the 10-11 Thai time, but could be as late as around 12. These times I predict due to previous fights held in Las Vegas.
It's alright for you buggers :wink: , I could quite happily enjoy a "pub breakfast" from 9 am and sit through until 12 waiting for the fight to start!! Getting up for 4 am on the other hand......
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Anywho, game on soon - just hope I get to see it....

"Money" didn't have the gonads to take on PacMan when he was in his prime, but whatever the result, Pacquiao is the man, closely followed by Sugar Ray Leonard as "pound for pound boxers" IMHO.

My loves however are Ali, Benn and Hagler.. how could you not love these guys!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And the winner is ...............both of them in terms of money earned, but on a unanimous points verdict, it was a fairly comfortable win for Mayweather
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, up before 4 am to watch it - and it feckin started at 5!!

Mayweather is still a complete tosser IMHO. A masterclass of defense and he got away with murder IMO with the referee - although can't disagree with the result.

At the end of the day, Mayweather's reach and tactics (good, bad or ugly) took it. The PacMan did not turn up..... :cry:

Money man will buy a new car, the PacMan will give a few million to to poor..... fair play to the man.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Well imo Mayweather may have just single-handedly killed the sport of boxing.

Rightly booed by his own fans at the end. No longer will people be prepared to pay the silly amounts of money flying about today. No longer will people be bothered to get excited about a bout, knowing that one of the fighters may just dance about the ring and avoid an actual fight. There will never be so much money available for a boxing event again. Not after that.

MMA will rightly overtake boxing soon after today's non-event.

'Money' Mayweather, you should be damn ashamed of yourself. People paid big money to watch a fight, but no, what we got was you getting yourself into the corners and against the ropes, ducking out of the way of punches then prancing about a bit more.

:banghead:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Two boxers past their prime, not sure what was expected really? Will Khan get a shout for the next fight, or is he too quick?
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nice to see you again GLC...

Boxing is already pretty much dead blue - the fighters just aren't there now. When I was younger and you were just a sparkle in your old man's eyes, there was Hagler, Duran, Leornard, De La Hoya, Chavez to name but a few.... oh, and later on Benn and our mate Lennox!

Just sorry I didn't get to see the likes of Ali, Frazier, Marciano, Dempsey and the like....

What a fight PacMan v Leonard would have been....

[EDIT] And I think Leonard would have stuffed Mayweather.....

redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

caller wrote:Two boxers past their prime, not sure what was expected really? Will Khan get a shout for the next fight, or is he too quick?
Have to agree, this fight should have happened years ago.
A bit of a letdown after all the hype.

As for Khan, might happen but it will be a risk to his unbeaten record.
He's a lot younger and quicker and harder to run from.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

pharvey wrote:When I was younger and you were just a sparkle in your old man's eyes, there was Hagler, Duran, Leornard, De La Hoya, Chavez to name but a few.... oh, and later on Benn and our mate Lennox!
Just sorry I didn't get to see the likes of Ali, Frazier, Marciano, Dempsey and the like....
and you also had;
Foreman, Norton, Liston, Spinks, Holmes, Bowe, Tyson . . . . . . . .

Hearns, Collins, Calzaghe, Watson, Eubank. McClellan, McGuigan, Barkley, Hatcher, Honeyghan . . . .
[/quote]

No doubt there are a few names missing there, but all the above were involved in epic fights along the way, no avoiding a fight, re-matches were standard and there was no pay per view nonsense.

Boxing nowadays has tried to regain it's sparkle but the epic bouts are few and far between. :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ :agree: 100% RZR - Eubank/Benn/Watson were some classics (and unfortunately one particularly bad outcome... :( - though actually went to show what a true sportsman/gentleman Benn is).

Heavyweights, well - some unbelievable bouts. Calzaghe - wow... and undefeated.

Honeyghan - now, wasn't it him who ran across the ring and smacked his opponent literally before he got his @rse off the stool?
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

pharvey wrote:
Honeyghan - now, wasn't it him who ran across the ring and smacked his opponent literally before he got his @rse off the stool?
It was.
In his after fight interview he was asked why he wanted to get the job done so quickly, to which he repied "I don't get paid for overtime" :D

I remember his fight V the undisputed and unbeaten welterweight Don Curry, a cracking fighter himself.
He bigged himself up big style before the fight, even put a big wager on himself.
Nobody gave him much of a chance and Curry dismissed him asking "who is this ragamuffin", hence Honeyghan adopting the nickname 'The Ragamuffin Man'. :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, understandable if people have lost money - betting, tickets or pay-per-view......

Should have kept his trap shut - may well be accused of making excuses for his loss..... sad to see from such a great fighter. :(

Manny Pacquiao sued after shoulder injury dishonesty claims

"Manny Pacquiao is the subject of a lawsuit in Nevada after being accused of lying over a shoulder injury sustained before his fight against Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas.
The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) says Pacquiao, 36, did not declare the injury on a pre-fight questionnaire.
But the fighter says he was transparent and a treatment plan had been agreed.
Two people in Nevada have alleged the boxer defrauded ticket buyers, television viewers and gamblers.
They have opened lawsuits just hours after the NAC accused the fighter of being dishonest. If the Filipino is found guilty of that charge, the penalty for perjury could be a jail sentence of between one and four years, and a fine of up to $5,000 (£3,305)."

Fairly insignificant fine (monetary-wise) :shock:

Full story: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32594782

Last edited by pharvey on Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.