Helmet Ban in The NFL?

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Helmet Ban in The NFL?

Post by pharvey »

Bit of a weird one - I certainly remember the arguments over protective headgear in boxing actually being more dangerous than wearing none at all and the risks of concussion/permanent brain damage being increased. That said, I don't believe anything has changed in amateur boxing (however, I stand to be corrected).

Aside from what is being mentioned with regards to head/brain injuries in the BBC report, I guess there must be numerous incidents within the NFL (and lower leagues) where the tackler has lead with the "helmet" and caused some serious "problems" to the opposing player...? I'm sure our US cousins on the Forum can clarify/give their views..

NFL Safety Boss Says the League Could Ban Helmets One Day

The chairman of the National Football League's health and safety advisory commission believes American football could ban helmets in the future.
The NFL has tried to reduce the risk of head injuries over the last five years and recently reached an almost $1bn legal settlement with ex-players suffering with head trauma.
But some experts think helmets give the players a false sense of security.

"Can I see a time without helmets? Yes," said Dr John York.

"It's not around the corner, but I can see it."

The idea of banning helmets has been raised by some doctors and ex-players in recent years without ever really being taken seriously.
The reason the idea is back on the table is because of the NFL's belated acceptance of the link between head injuries and the type of neurological problems that only boxers were believed to encounter in later life.
Faced with a spate of tragic incidents involving former players struggling with depression, memory loss and mood swings - as well as growing cultural awareness of the issues surrounding concussion - the league has introduced a raft of rule changes.

Full Story: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/33167457

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Helmet Ban in The NFL?

Post by bsdk1960 »

I think they have a helmet ban in Thailand too when you look at motorcycle riders and passengers :)

:cheers: :cheers:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

An NFL ban would be a much better thing to do for the world... only Americans watch (and participate) in it. I would have thought that a good knock to the head would bring these NFL guys' grades up from an F to a C.

Take away the armour, a la 'rugby' style and... the Americans wouldn't be interested.

Ever seen an American play Rugby?

No?... Why's that?

They ain't tough.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I wouldn`t normally look at a topic about NFL helmets, then I saw that GLC had contributed and it might be worth a minute or so to contemplate the wit and wisdom of said contributor. Never let the facts get in the way stupidity eh. I`ve seen a USA team play and whilst not All Black standard they ain`t bad.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

GLCQuantum wrote:An NFL ban would be a much better thing to do for the world... only Americans watch (and participate) in it. I would have thought that a good knock to the head would bring these NFL guys' grades up from an F to a C.

Take away the armour, a la 'rugby' style and... the Americans wouldn't be interested.

No?... Why's that?

They ain't tough.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Int ... nal_Series

It says in this link over 80,000 people showed up for game day at Wembley Stadium more than a couple times. That's quite a few people. I am sure they were all expat Americans living in England. :roll:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_u ... ted_States

This link says there are 450,000 registered in Rugby USA, though I am sure they are all expats and their children from other places around the world. :roll:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Arlo wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:An NFL ban would be a much better thing to do for the world... only Americans watch (and participate) in it. I would have thought that a good knock to the head would bring these NFL guys' grades up from an F to a C.

No?... Why's that?

They ain't tough.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Int ... nal_Series

It says in this link over 80,000 people showed up for game day at Wembley Stadium more than a couple times. That's quite a few people. I am sure they were all expat Americans living in England. :roll:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_u ... ted_States

This link says there are 450,000 registered in Rugby USA, though I am sure they are all expats and their children from other places around the world. :roll:
There is a lot of rugby clubs here in the states with league play. In my younger days played quite a bit, although we probably had the rules wrong! It was just fun to hit. GLCQuantum I can introduce you to some "not tough" Americans :naughty:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

migrant wrote: GLCQuantum I can introduce you to some "not tough" Americans :naughty:
'Let's roll, brother'... I'll 'open up my can of whoop ass' and 'get crunk' with you. 'You wanna step...?' :wink:

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:Ever seen an American play Rugby? No?... Why's that? They ain't tough.
Not a rugby fan, obviously. They have a team in the World Cup. They won't win, but they're there.
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:Ever seen an American play Rugby? No?... Why's that? They ain't tough.
Not a rugby fan, obviously. They have a team in the World Cup. They won't win, but they're there.
I gracefully stand corrected. :D
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

GLCQuantum wrote:
migrant wrote: GLCQuantum I can introduce you to some "not tough" Americans :naughty:
'Let's roll, brother'... I'll 'open up my can of whoop ass' and 'get crunk' with you. 'You wanna step...?' :wink:

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.