Premier League 2016-2017

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2016-2017

Post by caller »

Zidane wrote:Chelsea go marching on.....13 wins in a row now....the title looks in the bag for them already and also Swansea,Hull and Sunderland for the drop.

Lee Mason gave the worst display of refereeing this season at the United v Boro game,which is saying something.
Way too early for talk like that, which is why I am keeping stum!

Refereeing and lining standards have been shocking this season, in the areas where the big decisions are made. I think a shake up is due sooner, rather than later.
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Refereeing and lining standards have been shocking this season, in the areas where the big decisions are made. I think a shake up is due sooner, rather than later.
Maybe they should cut the players wages and give more for the decent refs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But where would these decent refs come from? Paying them more money wouldn't make them any better.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:But where would these decent refs come from? Paying them more money wouldn't make them any better.
Just like paying the players more money doesn't (necessarily) make them better players, but yet that's what's happening all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

But where would these decent refs come from? Paying them more money wouldn't make them any better.
True but as with everything else, if the pay is good more people will want to be refs and along with this the quality will rise. I can't understand why people would want to be in front of thousands, ten thousands of spectators just to hear abuse and get very little for that. Unless they are masochists.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just as an aside, Thai refs, who make Premier League refs look like superstars actually demand respect. I've seen a Thai ref stop the game several times and demand a supporter who is disrespecting him be dealt with.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Maybe refs in soccer should get the same respect as refs (or what they are called?) in rugby?
YNWA
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote:I can't understand why people would want to be in front of thousands, ten thousands of spectators just to hear abuse and get very little for that. Unless they are masochists.
Depends on how you define very little?

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/engli ... -salaries/

The above doesn't include European games, internationals and so on. The Mirror reported that Martin Atkinson earned £150k in the 2014/15 season.
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Ok, how much does Rooney and co. make in a week?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Ok, how much does Rooney and co. make in a week?
Does it matter?
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Well, yes, they are often in the same events.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Ok, how much does Rooney and co. make in a week?
Tooooooooo much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Tooooooooo much
Agreed, nobody is worth that and that's what spoils the football world today. Now the Chinese are starting to pay really stupid money. Let's see what happens.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Well, yes, they are often in the same events.
I don't think it matters in the least. The refs at the top level are extremely well paid, in many instances, they earn more than players in lower divisions. Rooney et al generate huge sums of money for their clubs across the globe. Ref's don't. Many top refs are professionals, albeit with a shorter career than many, but they are well rewarded with other financial benefits over and above what they receive from their official duties, this can apply even after retiring.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote:
Bamboo Grove wrote:Well, yes, they are often in the same events.
I don't think it matters in the least. The refs at the top level are extremely well paid, in many instances, they earn more than players in lower divisions. Rooney et al generate huge sums of money for their clubs across the globe. Ref's don't. Many top refs are professionals, albeit with a shorter career than many, but they are well rewarded with other financial benefits over and above what they receive from their official duties, this can apply even after retiring.
Whilst this is very true now, it's only been the last few years when the majority of refs went over to "professional" status with the salaries to match - before then they were probably on less than Rooney gives his kids pocket money each week.