Fans rage at ref after Thailand loses World Cup qualifier

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
buksida

Fans rage at ref after Thailand loses World Cup qualifier

Post by buksida »

Team Thailand was put down by Saudi Arabia in a 2018 World Cup qualifying match Thursday night, and many people decided to blame the refs.

Kicking off their first match in the final stage Asian qualifying round in Riyadh on Thursday night, Thailand ended up going home with a goose egg, losing 1-0 to the home team from a point scored by late penalty with less than 10 minutes on the clock.

The game-changing penalty point came Saudi Arabia’s way by of Chinese referee Fu Ming in the 81st minute. Fu Ming called out Thailand’s Sarach Yooyen for fouling Fahad Al-Muwallad.

Many fans watching on their televisions back home second-guessed the official, saying they saw no foul on Sarach’s part.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/n ... qualifier/

Sore losers? Probably, a typical Thai reaction to spit dummies when things don't go their way, seen it so many times watching domestic football.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Fans rage at ref after Thailand loses World Cup qualifier

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO, and it's something I've said for a long time, if Thailand are to become a force in world football, they need to get referees who are knowledgeable about FIFA rules and regulations.

As many know, I watch domestic football week in, week out here and I regularly complain about the standard of refereeing. The fact is, each Thai ref brings his own version of the rules with him, and those rules may differ to the rules his linesmen are playing.

"So what?" I hear you saying. Footballers in domestic Thai football are not playing to the sames rules as the rest of the footballing world. When they play at International level, they must wonder what on earth is going on.

One prime example is how to take a throw in. My son's Farang team were forever being penalised for a foul throw. In the end, they asked the ref to demonstrate how it should be done. There isn't a ref anywhere else in the world who would allow it. The same referee has officiated at several Hua Hin City matches this season, and I've seen him in previous seasons.

This lack of knowledge must extend to Thai supporters as well.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Yes but was it a penalty? In my humble opinion it was a nailed on pen!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Are you talking about the penalty that was awarded? I agree that was definitely a penalty - you don't shoulder barge with your arse.

Was the Thailand claim a dive? Couldn't see it properly, so I don't suppose the ref could either. The problem with the modern game is players try to cheat their way to a penalty, and they've cried wolf too many times throughout the world. If it wasn't a penalty, the ref should have booked the Thai player for diving.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18