2017 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: 2016 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by Nereus »

Rosberg stuns F1 by retiring

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/ ... y-retiring

VIENNA: Nico Rosberg stunned the motor racing world on Friday by announcing that he was retiring only days after achieving his lifetime ambition by winning his first Formula One world championship with Mercedes.

"From the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became world champion," the German said on Facebook.

"On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time," the 31-year-old added.

"I took my decision on Monday evening," added the driver, who had given no previous indication of his intentions and had been at the team factory in Brackley on Thursday after a trip to his German birthplace of Wiesbaden.

Rosberg, who was due to attend the governing FIA's gala prize-giving in Vienna later on Friday along with teammate and triple world champion Lewis Hamilton, did not say what he planned to do next.
He will leave with a record of 23 wins in 206 races and as only the second son of a champion to take the title, following in the footsteps of 1982 winner and father Keke.

Rosberg was also the first German driver to win the Formula One championship in a German car.

"Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my 'one thing' to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target. And now I've made it," he said.
"I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen."

His sudden departure leaves a vacancy that any driver on the grid would fight for, Mercedes being the most dominant team in the sport with 19 wins in 21 races this season.
They have won the drivers' and constructors' titles for the past three years in a row and will start next season, despite significant rule changes, as favourites again.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff hailed a "brave move" and said it was "testament to the strength of his character".
"The clarity of his judgement meant I accepted his decision straight away when he told me," he added.
Wolff said Mercedes would take time to evaluate their options.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

So - who's gonna replace Rosberg at Mercedes then?
My money's on Vettel.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185846
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Terry wrote:So - who's gonna replace Rosberg at Mercedes then?
My money's on Vettel.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185846
Or Alonso as an outside bet........ and that would certainly make for an interesting season with Ham as a team-mate!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

2017 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by PeteC »

With the surprise announcement by Rosberg, it's already time to start next year's thread.

BB, can you please move the 3 posts in question by Nereus, Terry and Pharvey from there to here, and lock that 2016 thread. Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: 2017 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by PeteC »

2016 Pool data for reference:

1 - redzonerocker 340.50
2 - Parahandy 326.50
3 - mwbrown 320.00
4 - pitsch 320.00
5 - lindosfan 315.50 (Yellow Cap)
6 ▲3 bsdk1960 298.00
7 ▲1 Pete 297.50
8 ▲2 Terry 295.00
9 ▼3 JJBones 294.50
10 ▲1 Vital Spark 294.00
11 ▼4 pharvey 294.00
12 - BigBoy 292.00
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have a hunch we'll see Rosberg again in some racing capacity in a few years. These sports stars always seem to want to make a comeback a few years after retiring (for the first time :D ). Probably not F1 but Rally, Indy, Endurance....something. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thoughts and odds about who will replace Rosberg by Andrew Benson, BBC's F1 writer. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38185491
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bottas is replacing Rosberg at Mercedes. Stories all over sports pages everywhere. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38530543

.......A number of changes have been made:

The total width of the cars - the 'track' - has been increased from 1,800mm to 2,000mm, returning them to pre-1998 dimensions.

The bodywork has been widened from 1,400mm to 1,600mm - wider than ever before.

The area under the car with which teams can produce downforce has been significantly increased.

The front wing has been widened and will now be a delta-shape, while the rear wing has been made lower and wider.

Tyres are bigger - up from 245mm wide to 305mm at the front and from 325mm to 405mm at the rear.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

As Bottas has made a new, fresh deal, I'll be following F1 more closely this year. Remind me about the competitions, when the time comes. Sorry with Räikkönen at Ferrari, I couldn't get bothered.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bamboo Grove wrote:As Bottas has made a new, fresh deal, I'll be following F1 more closely this year. Remind me about the competitions, when the time comes. Sorry with Räikkönen at Ferrari, I couldn't get bothered.
The pool should open towards the end of February Bamboo. I'll post up the details then. Pete :cheers:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

prcscct wrote:
Bamboo Grove wrote:As Bottas has made a new, fresh deal, I'll be following F1 more closely this year. Remind me about the competitions, when the time comes. Sorry with Räikkönen at Ferrari, I couldn't get bothered.
The pool should open towards the end of February Bamboo. I'll post up the details then. Pete :cheers:
Thanks Pete looking forward to hear from you again ,and hope it´s gonna be a exiting season,but who know what crap the F1 board will come up with season.

:cheers: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bernie Ecclestone's time as Formula 1 boss ends after a plethora of controversies

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-24/e ... ds/8206598

British business magnate Bernie Ecclestone's reign as boss of Formula 1 is no more, with new owners Liberty Media confirming it is replacing the 86-year-old with American Chase Carey.

Ecclestone has been in charge of the racing code for 40 years, leading it through some of the sport's greatest ups and downs and making a name as a divisive character.

"I'm proud of the business that I built over the last 40 years and all that I have achieved with Formula One," Ecclestone said in a statement.
"I am sure that Chase will execute his role in a way that will benefit the sport."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...................>>>>>>>>>

and here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38723001
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I'm not shedding any tears. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote:^ I'm not shedding any tears. Pete :cheers:
I doubt he is with the billions he's made from the sport.......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.