Dodgy Bars

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

andy778 wrote:If a bar is messing up your bin again and again, I agree, it should be named. But based on one visit and one bin I dont think its fair, we all make mistakes....
vincequick
Amateur
Amateur

Better bars

Post by vincequick »

It's sad to see a negative response to some of the bars however I'm sure that most bars would only be to glad to acomodate a visitor I ask the question which bar on a rating from 1-10 would you went to or if anyone else would like to rate a bar and the facilities offerd sometimes all you want is a cold beer football food tv and nice girl to talk with but we all would like sensible pricing on a good night out
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I think there's also a case for saying 'fore-warned is forarmed' isn't there? I usually make a point of subtly checking my bill whenever I reasonably can, though when it is held behind the bar, it is all too easy to make mistakes or worse. For those of us who've been here a while the symptoms (if that is the word) are probably all too obvious but for anyone less familiar, then a heads up is probably not unreasonable. After all, the noobs come here for help, don't they?
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Better policy is to pay for drinks as you have them and not run a bill at all.
-Mathematics/thinking is not a main strength of most bar staff here, even if they have a calculator.
-Takes away any temptation to put any extra drinks on your bill that they think you won't notice because you don't have a bill.
-You can make a swift exit anytime you want as you owe nothing to anyone.
-Not having a bill takes away any leverage the bar thinks it has over you regarding your bill.

Running bills is generally a no-no IMHO and I don't do it in the sort of area we are disscussing.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
jayhawk874
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jayhawk874 »

It's foolish to run a tab anyway...pay per drink as the evening goes...
petesie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by petesie »

Oops.........I think I'm probably on the wrong topic..........I was actually looking for a "dodgy" bar.......... :wink:
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Dont worry mate:
1. Nightcrawlers isnt worth the wait
and
2. The mods probably wont allow this as one of your 30 posts anyway

Enjoy the board, but dont spend too much time forcing your way up to 30 messages :cheers:
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
petesie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by petesie »

Thanks for the advice but I'm not worried about reaching the "bar" to whatever has to be aachieved to gain entry to certain Forum levels............... :cheers: :cheers:

I'm in for the long haul and if I need raunchiness I know where to go for that...............hope to see you down Bintibahn for a beer..... :wink:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Im Amys worse half, as many here know..... I see my role here now ive (sort of) grown up to act as a message carrier.

Why didnt you take it up with her (Amy - the owner)? If y think the bill is wrong then ask to see the owner. Easy see.

Anyway... I passed this on for her attention.

SJ - Amy is aware of the staff not doing what they are told to in terms of toilet duties and is currently applying a big old boot. That is down to the staff being idle. No excuse there.

Ive been the "victim" of bill faults myself. Mostly mistakes. It happens.

I make em all the time. A 13 hr trip thru hell care of Thai Air is my latest ;-)

Merry crimble HHADers.... wish I was there. Its sodding freezing here.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

One of the great things about HH is that there isn't a single bar I wouldn't enter - which is more than can be said for other Thai bar districts..

Prices are, if anything, a bit too consistant - it would be nice to see a little bit more genuine competition - more 'happy hours' - and other promotions - but that's a very small detail.

If I don't know a bar, and I'm a bit wary of the staff; I might elect to pay as I go; but again, I can't think of a place in HH where there's the need.

The bar tab system will always suffer mistakes - tabs sometimes get muddled, especially if the punters move around the bar a lot - but on average, you will win from such mistakes as often as you lose.

What does happen, especially when a bar is busy, is that the girls who are serving get ahead of the girl marking the tabs - so some drinks are never charged for.

I'd say that in Hua Hin you are much more likely to get a free drink by mistake, than be deliberately overcharged.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

PS..

If you go into a bar where they don't know your name, the girls will normally mark your tab with some distinguishing feature about you..

If you're a pretty plain bloke, wearing white shirt and shorts, and the bar is heaving with three or four other strangers in similar attire, then the girls really will struggle to keep the tabs straight..

..being a little adventurous with your wardrobe will reduce the risk of mistakes..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
petesie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by petesie »

I usually have no problem with having to suitably attire myself in order to gain check bin recognitiveness................ :wink:

I'm that Hansum man in the corner................ :)
Your here now where you should have been all along........
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Dodgy Bars

Post by margaretcarnes »

As Spitfire probably knows, even a calculator isn't a great help in getting bins added up correctly. For the simple reason that most staff don't understand how to use the 'times' button. Instead they just go through bins adding - for example - 65 plus 65 plus 65 ad nauseum.
Hardly surprising things sometimes go wrong, but as Tom rightly says, undercharging can also result.
So I do agree that, if in any doubt, it's best to pay as you go. Staff won't like it mind, as they rarely carry enough change in the float to enable every single customer to do that.
And this applies to any bar you care to name.
On the subject of bar fines - while farang owners would likely not agree to BFs for a customer sitting with a girl for a while, Thais have a different view. Particularly, I suspect, if they have worked in bars elsewhere, such as Pattaya, where the practice is more common in a certain types of bar. But there are other sides to the argument, such as the customers who deliberately wait until closing time to call round and take out their favourite girl for a meal. And the 'word on the soi' knowledge which all mamasans have. The early warnings about certain customers who are known to be a bit keeneaow for example, or will try to avoid bar fines.
Mamasans and cashiers aren't daft. Some may struggle with keeping track of bins etc, but they do know their customers.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Sydney Jed
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Sydney Jed »

First time I came down to Hua Hin,after 3 days they all know who you are if you frequent the place long enough.2 weeks later when I visited again,it's like you are a long lost friend!In short they don't miss a thing and avoiding bar finds won't win you any friends with the locals that's for sure!
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

and avoiding bar finds won't win you any friends with the locals that's for sure!
One should not forget that it is routine for part of the barfine to be credited to the girl's tip slate - so if you didn't pay, she'll know, and so will her friends..

Tom