Hua Hin seems to be changing - for the worse

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin seems to be changing - for the worse

Post by usual suspect »

Good news and bad news about Soi Bintabaat at the moment..
Amidst the rumours of pending re-development and restrictive closing-times..
The good news is the bars are as busy now in the evenings as they were over New Yr.
Farangs ARE enjoying the atmosphere down this 'strip' just now.
Another notable point is one of the street being made into a 'Walking St' (Nah..never happen).
BUT..with bar-owners placing tables and chairs/stools out in the St now, plus more and more
food vendors parking their M/C-based stalls in the Soi it is becoming harder for Tuk-tuks,Taxis & other vehicles to use the Soi as a short-cut..the atmosphere of the Soi is much more pleasant and
less tense when it's easier to stroll down there & sit out for a beer of two. :cheers:
The BAD NEWS..that's a simple one..
The owner of Lucky Lukes & his persistant loud music every night (while the local MIB just walks by smiling..??) :banghead:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The BAD NEWS..that's a simple one..
The owner of Lucky Lukes & his persistant loud music every night (while the local MIB just walks by smiling..??)
That's one of the main reasons that I never drink around that area anymore.
I've spend thirty years working in aviation surrounded by jet engines and I don't need to hear loud annoying noises when I take a few weeks off.
buster
Novice
Novice

Post by buster »

i have lived here 3 yrs and the safety is not as good as there seem to be more young people.just a thought
gilped
Amateur
Amateur

Post by gilped »

I don't know what everyone is moaning about! Sure the place is changing, it's getting bigger for a start but it is still very much a retiree place for more mature people as well as a seaside destination with some great golf courses. It's got too many plus factors for me to worry about a scrap down the local pub. I have seen a bit of trouble there now and again, and it's unfortunate but I have seen much worse in Scotland, where I come from! There are a bit more younger people coming to town but not that many and there are other places now opening up if you want a quiet drink and a bit of fun away from BB.

If I go back to the UK I would face a more expensive cost of living by far, a load of people moaning about everything they can think of, the weather is crap, negative press, an incredibly high suicide rate, no idea where to go tonight as it's mid week and nobody is going out etc.

I'm keeping my tent pitched in HH for now and although I don't live there all the time, after I have been away for 6 weeks I'm more than looking forward to getting back. Everywhere is changing but HH still has a whole lot more to offer than many places. At the end of the day, horses for courses.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

From the posts here it sounds like bar fights are common in the UK. What's up with that and is this only a recent trend? I spent most of my evenings in bars in the U.S. throughout my 20's, 30's, and first half of my 40's (even worked behind the bar of one for about 5 years) and only recall ever seeing one bar fight... and that was in a tourist bar in Key West.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

hhfarang wrote:From the posts here it sounds like bar fights are common in the UK. What's up with that and is this only a recent trend? I spent most of my evenings in bars in the U.S. throughout my 20's, 30's, and first half of my 40's (even worked behind the bar of one for about 5 years) and only recall ever seeing one bar fight... and that was in a tourist bar in Key West.
There are no bar fights among civilized people.
Just remember the origin of the word "Hooligan" and try to avoid those people. They are brain dead and should not be on the loose...
A friend is only one click away
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Lung Per wrote:
hhfarang wrote:From the posts here it sounds like bar fights are common in the UK. What's up with that and is this only a recent trend? I spent most of my evenings in bars in the U.S. throughout my 20's, 30's, and first half of my 40's (even worked behind the bar of one for about 5 years) and only recall ever seeing one bar fight... and that was in a tourist bar in Key West.
Just remember the origin of the word "Hooligan" and try to avoid those people. They are brain dead and should not be on the loose...
Pretty much guaranteed to see a fight in my town on a Friday/Saturday night, especially at 2:00-2:30, kicking out time at the local nightclub, when all the dickheads are heading to the Taxi rank dropping Burgers and Doner Kebabs down their shirts.

I prefer early doors now anyway, an afternoon session and watch the Football.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Lung Per wrote:
Just remember the origin of the word "Hooligan" ...
And that would be ......???
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

barrys wrote:
Lung Per wrote:
Just remember the origin of the word "Hooligan" ...
And that would be ......???
According to Wiki: There are several theories about the origin of the word hooliganism. The Compact Oxford English Dictionary states that word may originate from the surname of a fictional rowdy Irish family in a music hall song of the 1890s. Clarence Rook, in his 1899 book, Hooligan Nights, claimed that the word came from Patrick Hoolihan (or Hooligan), an Irish bouncer and thief who lived in the London borough of Southwark. Another writer, Earnest Weekley, wrote in his 1912 book Romance of Words, "The original hooligans were a spirited Irish family of that name whose proceedings enlivened the drab monotony of life in Southwark about fourteen years ago". There have also been references made to a 19th-century rural Irish family with the surname Houlihan who were known for their wild lifestyle, then later evolving into O'Holohan (in keeping with the tradition of Irish families for O' to begin the anglicised name, the Gaelic being Ó hUallacháin).[citation needed] Another theory is that the term came from a street gang in Islington named Hooley.[citation needed] Yet another theory is that the term is based on an Irish word, houlie, which means "a wild, spirited party"

ImageImage
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

BaaBaa, that's concurs with my understanding of the etymology.

So maybe Lung Per could enlighten us a little further ...............?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think we've had enough about hooligans, can we please get :offtopic:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

gilped wrote:an incredibly high suicide rate
Is that right? The UK has such a high rate??
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The official suicide rates in the UK are dropping http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1092 .

If people wish to discuss hooligans or suicide rates in the UK can they start a new thread.

Now back to the subject of Hua Hin supposedly changing for the worse please.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

[quote="barrys"]BaaBaa, that's concurs with my understanding of the etymology.

So maybe Lung Per could enlighten us a little further ..............

Stricken by censors....
A friend is only one click away