tax at murphs

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: tax at murphs

Post by hhfarang »

Richard, you never cease to amaze me. You have taken so much flak for your restaurant comments, negative and positive, that you've lost all credibility, but you just keep 'em coming!
I think the problem is that Richard (like me and many others) has been here too long. At least 50% of the conversational subjects with full time expats I know here are about complaints in one form or another. I guess it's just human nature when living in a place that can be as frustrating as Thailand can be. One would think that it would get better over time and maybe it does with a few, but in my experience, the place wears you down and sh*t happens often enough every day to make you a grumpy old man and me pretty much an anti social shut-in, where in other less frustrating places (and that includes Saudi Arabia! :shock: ) I've been one of the most gregarious people around.

I'm not generally picky about food or service in restaurants and give them a lot of leeway (more than my Thai wife!), but as everyone here knows, I do have my list of things that drive me crazy in Thailand and Hua Hin in particular and that I do complain about... :wink: :D

My guess is that Richard eats out a lot so that is his main source of frustration (or satisfaction), hence his frequent comments "negative and positive". :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

The first time I told Murph about my problem he said something dismissive, smiled, then turned and walked away. That was also the last time. Since then I've been twice. First time was with 2 friends from out of town who insisted on going. Here is just the highlights: Waitress was obviously impatient with the time it took one of us to order (she's not there to serve), answered a product question incorrectly (she doesn't know the menu), brought the three correct drinks but didn't match them to who ordered them and looked put upon when it became apparent that the first person she sat the wrong drink in front of actually expected the waitress to pick it back up and give it to the correct person (she isn't smart enough for the job or doesn't give a sh*t), same process was repeated with the breakfast order. One man asked for eggs cooked both sides, they came one side. He asked for 5 more seconds on the other side. 5 minutes later the egg came back luke warm and cooked solid. He complained, asked for a do over. She responded, in the clearest and most unaccented english used in the entire encounter, that that's the way fried eggs are here. Someone had to walk into the other room to get the check as she pretended to not see all hand signals. The bill was wrong, in favor of the house. At least the food was OK, but it's pretty hard to screw up breakfast unless you burn something or eggs are involved.

Against my better judgment I returned months later to get out of the rain. Knew I'd be better off soaked to the skin than to be a customer of Murph's again. I placed order by saying name of the item and pointing to it on the menu. She said nothing and pointed to another item on the menu (What the ????). We did this a couple times before she wrote down my order. Knowing full well I was at the spot were screwing the customer is the norm I asked to see the form where she'd written my order. It was for a 3rd item. And once again the bill was wrong, of course in the house's favor.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

I think you're dead right there HHF, I was the opposite fortunately I used to get quite pee'd off about stuff the first year and then just let it all go over my head. You've always been a bit grumpy on here about day to day stuff but at least humorous with it, but I've noticed it quite markedly in others, PattPete & Spitfire (whom I both like a lot) both seemed to 'go' almost overnight a few months back. Richard as you say. Nereus the other day ranting about the weaving in hospital waiting area chairs and the nurse 'leaving her station' when she walked round a desk to inspect his foot, and all this despite having a minor op carried out successfully in 10 minutes flat, for a modest 7k and attempting to bait DrM publically over wavedchairgate. I read it 3 times because I couldn't find the punchline before realising he was actually being serious :?

You can tell Richard was looking for any old thing to carry out his usual hit job (on anywhere that isn't SJ's or LC) when he has to make the cleaners facial expression his main gripe. Hardly any mention of the actual food he was served... apart from the negative part about the wrong type of pork.

The following is classic 'grumpy man negativity-syndrome'....
richard wrote:the bill was baffling. Basic prices + rounding and then Vat. Basic and Vat we all know about but rounding. No point in asking as they were not really interested in me being there and probably hadn't a clue.
- The rounding of several satang is 'oh so baffling' to this seasoned expat traveller :roll:
- 'No point asking' about rounding as they were not 'interested enough' in him LOL... he's throwing the towel in as a result of his own negativity.
- And they 'probably hadn't a clue' about rounding... case-closed then, 'probably' :?

I don't even get tales of woe like this when the 4 year old comes home from a bad day at kindergarten :laugh: It's a wonder how some people make it this far in life when there's no-one around to molly-coddle them and wipe their....... :D

SJ
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

The business card I have for El Murphy's (maybe a few years old now) states 'open 8.00 am 'till late'.

If you got served a breakfast at 7.00 am, I would say that alone, is excellent service from the staff that were there at that time.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

answered a product question incorrectly (she doesn't know the menu), brought the three correct drinks but didn't match them to who ordered them and looked put upon when it became apparent that the first person she sat the wrong drink in front of actually expected the waitress to pick it back up and give it to the correct person (she isn't smart enough for the job or doesn't give a sh*t)
Homer, after reading the above I think you should maybe just stay in for dinner otherwise Thailand's just gonna make ya blood boil.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

That's the part that I noticed, that wouldn't have even registered with me, I would've just passed the drink the whole 10 inches to whoevers it was. It's really not an issue.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

GLCQuantum wrote:
answered a product question incorrectly (she doesn't know the menu), brought the three correct drinks but didn't match them to who ordered them and looked put upon when it became apparent that the first person she sat the wrong drink in front of actually expected the waitress to pick it back up and give it to the correct person (she isn't smart enough for the job or doesn't give a sh*t)
Homer, after reading the above I think you should maybe just stay in for dinner otherwise Thailand's just gonna make ya blood boil.
Your inference couldn't be farther from the truth. Been an expat long enough to know there is nothing I can do about it except take my business elsewhere. The other two members of the breakfast trio got bent out of shape which startled me because one had lived in thailand for 32 years and the other for 7. To me it was like water off a duck's back. Given my previous experience of crap service and food at Murph's I expected it.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Hey I can't win can I?

Praise a place and I'm promoting it
Critique a place and I'm winging

I vote with my feet and as most will know places go up and down like yoyos regarding food and service

Contrary to popular belief I do not eat at SJ's more than once a month. too expensive for me and some fare and service leaves a lot to be desired. I have told the owners as they are personal friends I've know since they opened their first place up Neabkehardt.

I also enjoy breakfasts and farang food in at least 6 different establishments so LC's is not my only port of call

Someone mentioned that I've maybe been here too long and eat out a lot. The former may be true but the latter is incorrect.

I've always believed that the idea of a global forum is to share information and experiences for those who seek to know.

I'll stick to posting on the caption competition from now on :banghead: :banghead:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Richard... you didn't reply to STEVE G's post
The business card I have for El Murphy's (maybe a few years old now) states 'open 8.00 am 'till late'.

If you got served a breakfast at 7.00 am, I would say that alone, is excellent service from the staff that were there at that time.
:roll:
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

richard wrote:Praise a place and I'm promoting it
Critique a place and I'm winging

Hey I can't win can I?
You can't be honest with us, that's the problem Richard. You do not critique the place and you well know it, you do your best to turn readers off the place with your repeated attacks. You set out to deliberately damage their business as much as you can because of your 3 year old personal dispute with Murf after he exposed your lies about his place to the forum, when you claimed you could not be slagging them off because you had never been there... Richard wrote 11th Dec '08 - "Can't possibly slag your bar off. Never been there!!!!"
Murf then produced all your quotes from the preceeding months telling us about your experiences in El Murphys, you ran off the thread without accounting for your lies or apologizing to your fellow posters that you deliberately deceived. You're dishonest (polite for lying c***) and a coward, and this is why no-one around town has a grain of respect for you. And to top all this off you have this nasty, snidey, vindictive streak in you where you set out to cause people's businesses harm because you are too cowardly to take it to them.
... Richard lying and deceiving us all... http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p113669

Both these posts are from 2008 where you were asked to contact them direct with your attacks and to stop doing it on the forum as it damages business... 3 years later you're still at it:
Murf wrote:How can I get your quotes mixed up-you made then,they can be found in your viewing profile. As I stated before your are a lier, a lier who cannot remember his own lies, I did do my research- as you slander so many businesses while chasing free meals from others it is not hard to find your lies. As for touching a nerve-I should not lower myself to your sadness. I joined this forum last year to defend myself after you made more heresay slander against my staff and my business based on heresay
Murf wrote:This is the second time you have attacked me my staff along with many other business based on heresay, what is your problem, you promote your mates and slate others for no reason- you then claim heresay,I don't understand. This is a public forum and your selfish heresay does hurt business. If you have a problem with me or my staff come down or call we will go out of our way to fix it. Stop using this forum to slag people off.
You couldn't lie straight in bed yc.

SJ
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well Homers not a fan and no-one is having a pop at him! :?

I can't ever recall seeking a brekky in HH at 7am, but the one time I did seriously need an early brekky, being extremely hungover and having to get the outlaws on a bus out of town too damn early, I took refuge in Victoria in its old location. When we finally got what was ordered (my Thai missus being partial to a full English), it was great, but the fact all the others who came in after us got served quicker, was a mite annoying!

Best brekky I ever had in HH was at the Hilton.

What has any of this to do with Tax at El Murphy's? :? :?
Talk is cheap
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I've eaten twice at EM for breakfast and it was spot on, possibly the best all rounder in town, but I'm capable of picking up my drink if it's accidentally placed in front of the person opposite me.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Actually really wound me up that!

Lucky my Missus doesn't work there because if somebody had eyeballed her because she misplaced a bottle by 8 inches they'd have much more to complain about!

Fire away!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

richard wrote:Well hit El Murfs for a 7am breakie

I was the only customer and it only took 10 minutes for the cleaner to ask me if I wanted to eat

Got a coffee, ordered GAMMON eggs and chips

Got BACON eggs and chips

OK really but despite coaxing I could not muster a smile from the waitress or the cleaner who insisted on me moving my feet whilst eating to wash the floor

All in all OKish but the bill was baffling. Basic prices + rounding and then Vat. Basic and Vat we all know about but rounding. No point in asking as they were not really interested in me being there and probably hadn't a clue

I really can't see anything in this post to justify the subsequent slagging and allegations of lies - or am I missing something here?
Lets look at just one reply - gammon and bacon are both from a pig. I think we all know that - but they are still very different. Thats like saying why moan when you ask for bacon and get sausages.
OK - I do agree that expecting the correct drinks to be placed in front of the correct customers is expecting a bit too much. Beleve it or not folks it happens in other countries as well - no big deal. But Richard didn't mention that - someone else did.
And where is the evidence that the 'rounding up' referred to satang? How many establishments these days have menu prices with satang on them?
As for the early hour - good grief - don't any of you remember when Berneys' ex - Noy - could produce an excellent breakfast at 7 in the morning even when she was still pissed out of her head?

Obviously not. Rant over.
For those out there that like the place. Good luck and enjoy!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Humble apologies for screwing up the layout of that message BTW, but you get the drift.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.