beer prices

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: beer prices

Post by STEVE G »

JD wrote:
tuppence wrote:Bottle of Corona typically AED 36 which is 288 baht/ Pint in Meat Company 370 baht-ish.
Please explain, I don't understand? Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.
I assume he means the Meat Company steak-house restaurant chain in the Midle East which are a bit pricy.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

re Ste860
and the owner makes nothing until costs are covered so you can see why prices are what they are ,its not the owners fault the landlords charge so much ,i bet every bar on bintabaht is running on very little profit by the time exspenses are covered
echoed by Pleng etc....

I can assure you that such is the case, and the reason that many of the bars charge a lot more than what you pay in the mom and pop shop on the corner of your soi. That mom and pop shop doesnt have a rapacious greedy swine for a landlord who even when business is drastically down and bars are opening and closing faster than a crapper door in a greasy spoon curry house insists on jacking the rent up every year....and not by a few baht here and there either....try drastic rent hikes for size.

BintaBlok bars are very rarely owned by the people who run them. They are owned by a group of greedy ass short sighted doofuses who dont care a toss about who rents em and what they do as long as that money keeps going up and up.

Every single bar owner I know has had a really bad year after a bad year the year before, and several are really under strain now. I do not know of any who are laughing all the way to the bank in a Jag. Even some of the oldest hands have told me they cant afford needed renovations, and are thinking its time to jack it in. Tourist numbers are drastically down, the tourist dynamic is changing from young "backpackers" to families, Cam/Viet/Laos are increasingly better options, and the exchange rate/economic collapse and political strife in Bangers has killed business stone dead.

And this same group of owners also has the business acumen of a housebrick. They cant see that a central entertainment district full of shuttered bars is hardly likely to encourage tourists to come back with return business next year. They dont care about next year, cos all they care about is this years stack of cash. A bar owner mate said to me - offer a Thai person 100bht per day if they get paid daily, or 900bt a week if they get paid once a week and always they will want the 100bht a day. That is as true for a building owner as much as it is for a bar girl, its just the amounts that differ.

Add to those woes the tea money/pool table tax, the licenses for everything, and the strain of trying to run a business in a hostile administrative environment who make the rules up as they go along (what you can do today you may be able to do tomorrow - and it depends who the bar runner is as to how the rules get applied). You think running a bar is easy, fun and profitable? Try it.

If bars were goldmines, then there wouldnt be so many shuttered ones would there?

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

i agree with everything stated by sandman ,who put the message across much better than me ,i had a bar years ago and made good money ,i would not have one free now ,too many fingers in a ever decreasing pot
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

The price of beer--almost 10,000 views amazing This info may be there in the 9 pages of replies.
A recent trip to the US and Canada
Beer in community type restaurants or neighborhood bars
Bottle beer-- cheapest $4 but mostly about $5 + tax (tax 7-9%) = 165b
Draft --- about $9 /pint (in Us thats 16oz) = almost 300b
On the other hand the quality of the local micro-brewery beer is so much better than that available a few years ago. Many British bottled beers available.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Can somebody please explain why many bar owners ( the lessee ) continue to pay a rent that renders the business unprofitable as mentioned time and again in this thread. Surely the answer must be to close or move to another site where the P & L figures can show a surplus.

I continually read about the beer prices being so high because the rents are high - that is fine if the turnover is also high, but it appears this is generally not the case in Hua Hin.

In some cases the bar is also 'home' so that can offset the house costs and possibly show a paper profit - but do such owners reduce their prices accordingly? - not from what I read.

What on earth is the point of sitting in a bar everyday, until some ungodly hour, and making a loss ?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Moving to another site is not a one-size fits all solution. The bar business is about location so paying less rent where there are few customers isn't the answer.
Good location means you pay more, true everywhere in the world and there's not much point in trying to operate where there is no traffic. Landlord holds the cards.
If the owner lives above the bar he might be saving 10-15K a month in home rental cost. Unlikely that will be the difference in saving the business, IMO.
I don't think owners open a bar with the intention to sit there all day making a loss, some aren't that smart, granted, but they aren't that dumb either.
Until the bar operates for a while its not perfectly clear if its a winner or loser.Too many costs are beyond the bar owner's control.
Lowering prices isn't the answer either, that's a race to the bottom where everyone loses. It's a tough business and only the very savvy, experienced and/or connected survive.
Happiness can't buy money
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Imagine living above a bar on Bintabaht for the rest of your years though?

Uuuughhhh!
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

BaaBaa. wrote:Imagine living above a bar on Bintabaht for the rest of your years though?

Uuuughhhh!
No thanks! :cuss:
Happiness can't buy money
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Old Speckled Hen available on Draught at the Openeing of Click Bar on Bintabaht this evening. Many other English Ales and Irish Cider available.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Click bar?...............Where is it?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Click Bar is about half way down Binta on the right if you are walking from Hilton end. It was the Fortune Bar - I only know that as you can still see the name fortune under the current name sign. :roll:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

the fortune bar was a bloody fortune, is the click similar?
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

its had a total refit ,much bigger now ,i was in there yesterday , must be 3/4 times bigger than before ,they had a selection of draft beers as jd mentioned ,