Bars packed with people

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Re: Bars packed with people

Post by Korkenzieher »

Richard & HHFarang - get a room! Oh! - you can't since they've all been booked out by the Krungthep refugees. Allegedly!

In spite of the supposed numbers decamping to HH, I wouldn't say I have seen that reflected in the bars and restaurants. If every available room is booked (as was supposed to be the case for the 1st week of Nov) then those thousands of people were doing a pretty good job at hiding themselves.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

hhfarang wrote:Richard! Are you coming on to me... I'm flattered! :wink: :wink: :wink:
What's your secret HHF? - you have DM stalking you and Richard fantasizing about you in a wet suit. :shock:

Sorry... :offtopic:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

What's your secret HHF? - you have DM stalking you and Richard fantasizing about you in a wet suit. :shock:
It must be my curvy figure... :run:

As far as the crowds in town. They're Thai, so they don't go to the bar area. Take a look at some of the older more popular Thai restaurants and I think you'll find them still packed.

I judge how many Thais are in town by the four high rise condos I can see on the beach from the back balcony of my home. Normally, during the week, they are completely dark. On a normal weekend, there are a few lights in each. On a holiday weekend they seem to be completely lit. When the flood got bad, they were fully lit all the time. Now they're down to about half occupied so the Bangkok visitors are slowly trickling back to their homes but there's still a lot here.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

You could tell they were here by the traffic volume, and lousy driving (unbelievably, worse than HH locals!) but even on 88 which was packed, it was hard to see more than a few extras at any of the eateries, including street food outlets. I just found it amazing how so many people could be here pretty much un-noticed, and it rammed home the notion that without the Farang tourist trade, HH basically has nothing.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

The fact that the uturns are open suggests they are going back
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

and lousy driving
Compared to the rest of asia, Thai driving standards are superb..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

uncle tom wrote:
and lousy driving
Compared to the rest of asia, Thai driving standards are superb..
For once, I have to agree in part..... India and China could certainly take lessons from Thai drivers....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've had two accidents in 8 years here, both Thai drivers hit me in the rear when I was dead stopped, the second one today. I think they are the worst drivers I've ever seen anywhere and I lived in the middle east for four years!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhfarang wrote:I've had two accidents in 8 years here, both Thai drivers hit me in the rear when I was dead stopped, the second one today. I think they are the worst drivers I've ever seen anywhere and I lived in the middle east for four years!

I take it you've not tried driving in India or China then hhf?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

hhfarang wrote:
It must be my curvy figure... :run:

As far as the crowds in town. They're Thai, so they don't go to the bar area. Take a look at some of the older more popular Thai restaurants and I think you'll find them still packed.

I judge how many Thais are in town by the four high rise condos I can see on the beach from the back balcony of my home. Normally, during the week, they are completely dark. On a normal weekend, there are a few lights in each. On a holiday weekend they seem to be completely lit. When the flood got bad, they were fully lit all the time. Now they're down to about half occupied so the Bangkok visitors are slowly trickling back to their homes but there's still a lot here.

Isn't that just typical of Thais? Leave the bloody lights on all the time... :wink:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

usual suspect wrote:Last night around 9.00 the 'Bar-soi's had an abundance of tourists wandering up & down..BUT..
..these tourists were just mooching, no real intention of drinking in the bars.
YES..I'm afraid for some bars (including the wife's) it will be a testing time this high season with so many
Mamasans thinking it is BIG & CLEVER to play Thai music in their bars at such high levels (They must know what desired effect they want when they purchase big F/O speakers & site them in their doorways)..hence they have no customers..ho-hum/som-nam-naa. (But then we see them advertising Happy-Hour drinks to try get trade???)
Am I the only Farang who relates 'Live Music' in the bars to 'Live Noise'..?? A customer commented that a nearby bar has their 'Live Music' totally made up of bass guitar & drums..who can sit inside there & enjoy this punishment..??(except Thai youth) Maybe I'm just to damn old & moody for this game now??
Maybe I need to retire to an Issan village to sit under a tree tending cattle all day..??
(Pass me some Bettle to chew..55)
Back in the day the Genie Pub used to be the place for live music.
Is it up and running again or still closed because of that loan shark biz?
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Jing's guesthouse is reporting very heavy bookings this year..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

uncle tom wrote:Jing's guesthouse is reporting very heavy bookings this year..

Jings is always heavily booked this time of the year as are many others in that price range 700 to 1500
Many others 1500 to 2500 seem to be booked but a lot are block bookings
Top end seem to be the ones who are suffering

From what I have gleaned from the Scandinavian and German tourists in Condo Chain is that families are now seeking condos and houses to rent for say a month or 2 months and there are plenty of vacant properties to suit all wallets and there are plenty of contacts (I know of 3 in Condo Chain) who are acting as HH based agents acting for agents in their own country
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Up until quite recently, if you Googled a place name and the word 'hotels', your top hits would all be agencies who were not interested in places that charged less than $50/night, because the kick-backs to the agents were too small.

The hotel touts also hijacked the search words 'guest house' so you often didn't actually get any guest houses on the first page of search results.

Now the top billings on the Google results usually go to Agoda and Booking.com who are both quite serious about offering lower priced digs.

I wonder how long it will be before the big hotel chains realise why they're feeling the pinch, and try to take control of the Google results..
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

All the big hotel chains booked through Agoda, etc. so I doubt they'll complain.