Leaving a bar

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Leaving a bar

Post by oakdale160 »

So you are planning to take a country girl from Thai to Kor, she of course speaks no Korean and has no friends there. Sounds like a great plan.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

oakdale160 wrote:So you are planning to take a country girl from Thai to Kor, she of course speaks no Korean and has no friends there. Sounds like a great plan.
As with anyone moving to another country, it will be difficult. That's not to say though that she won't make new friends and learn Korean. She could also hate every minute of it mind, but it will be an experience that she has probably never had before or will ever again in the near future. If she wasn't up for the trip she would have said 'no' already.

:cheers:
Soonn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Soonn »

oakdale160 wrote:So you are planning to take a country girl from Thai to Kor, she of course speaks no Korean and has no friends there. Sounds like a great plan.
Pretty much.

To be fair she was more or less a loner in Bangkok as well. We are similar in that way (we both prefer solitary hobbies). She only had one friend in the city, though of course she has a network of family and friends back in her hometown.

Here in Korea she's really serious about studying English with me, and becoming connected with the local Buddhist community. Honestly, in this situation with her coming to Korea for 1-3 months at a time, and then going back to home for an equal amount of time, she has more time to spend with family and friends than she did while working at the bar in Bangkok. While she was working before she only got to visit home about 2-3 days a month. Now she has 4-8 week stretches at a time to go home and be with friends and family. Not to mention, she can talk to them on the phone every day via Skype.
Soonn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Soonn »

GLCQuantum wrote:
As with anyone moving to another country, it will be difficult. That's not to say though that she won't make new friends and learn Korean. She could also hate every minute of it mind, but it will be an experience that she has probably never had before or will ever again in the near future. If she wasn't up for the trip she would have said 'no' already.

:cheers:

Exactly. We've talked a lot about what to do to make sure she doesn't feel bored and lonely in Korea. She's willing to accept it, and she's eager to come.
Soonn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Soonn »

Update:

She and I are both in Korea now and have been here for about a week. So far so good. We are happy. It's a bit cold for her tastes, but the point is she is here.

We set up a Skype account in her name and got the unlimited calling plan so that she can call her friends and family every day for the flat rate of about $13.99 USD per month over my home wifi using her mobile phone.

Conclusion: YES. It is possible to bring a girl out of the bar (and Thailand) and be happy. I paid the before mentioned fee for the sake of following the path of least resistance, but my current situation is proof that it is not a total scan. She's not in the bar anymore because she's here with me every day, and as I said in previous updates, she went back to her home in Surin for a month or so before she came here.

Take care all.

A Word on Immigration: Korean immigration will give a Thai woman the third degree in a separate interview room if you are not with her personally. Even then they will think about it unless you write a letter in English (and Korean) explaining that she's your GF and will be staying at your address for the duration of her time in Korea.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

That is wonderful,please post follow up reorts
billpaws
Rookie
Rookie

Post by billpaws »

Usually 10,000baht in Pattaya.
Jeremy Zero
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jeremy Zero »

I'm actually curious about this. I've been enjoying reading your responses though.
Soonn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Soonn »

I just thought I'd give my last update on the situation.

So far as the business elements of leaving the bar are concerned, everything holds true, however for my particular relationship at around the three month mark she turned evil and we broke up. I now live in Thailand (rather than Korea) and have no desire to see or talk to my ex.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Soonn wrote:I just thought I'd give my last update on the situation.

So far as the business elements of leaving the bar are concerned, everything holds true, however for my particular relationship at around the three month mark she turned evil and we broke up. I now live in Thailand (rather than Korea) and have no desire to see or talk to my ex.

Surprise surprise. Same old story. Lick your wounds, refill your wallet and start anew
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Soonn wrote:I just thought I'd give my last update on the situation.

So is she still in South Korea? Or did she also return to Thailand?
Glad you are OK and moving on.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Soonn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Soonn »

She's back in Thailand now. So am I. I don't think she ever expected me to live here.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Missed the bar I guess. You can take the girl from the bar but you cannot.................
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Soonn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Soonn »

She went back to the bar because she had no money.

She had no money because I stopped taking care of her.

I stopped taking care of her because she's a liar.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Soonn wrote:She went back to the bar because she had no money.

She had no money because I stopped taking care of her.

I stopped taking care of her because she's a liar.
Shit happens. It's not the first time. You learn by your experiences.