Bye-bye Red-Bar & Tina Bar..

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Bye-bye Red-Bar & Tina Bar..

Post by STEVE G »

You find BB a little too 'uptown' a little too fashionable, elegant and snobby?
You can get a dinner jacket from the Indian tailors on Bintabaht if you feel out of place.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Maybe Binta area will change in some areas on the edges into God knows what else,
but it seemed to me that even the family tourists wander through the area and enjoy it.
I have been through Bintabat and around with my wife during the day or night, and we have both
enjoyed saying Hi to those we know and meet. In Pattaya I went through a street in the afternoon
and a couple of bar girls tried to drag me into their bar. Lucky for me, my wife and 3 Thai women were about 15 meters behind and rescued me from an afternoon of dubious pleasures.
We still feel much safer when we walk around Hua Hin, wherever the area of the city we are in.
Hua Hin just wouldn't be the same without the bars and parlors.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Stargeezer wrote:Maybe Binta area will change in some areas on the edges into God knows what else,
but it seemed to me that even the family tourists wander through the area and enjoy it.
They wander through, but do they stop and empty their pockets?
It's not rally important weather people enjoy a particular feature - the important thins is whether it's profitable or not.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

usual suspect wrote:I think the 'corner bar' is open again now Uncle Tom.
Tina bar, (now on the corner of Poolsuk) has just taken over Lazy Daze next door to them, & are now knocking it about..yet to see if Tina's make a big L-shaped bar, or run it as 2 seperate bars..??
Rumour has it that Celtic Bar midway down Binta is now up for sale at 4.5mil.
I heard last night from a reliable source that Tinas on the corner (now combined with Lazy daze) have now purchased Butterfly bar (next to 711). It is now going through a refit costing 1M and the lease sold for 1M with ongoing rent of 40K/mth. Apparently same farang funder(s) for all three bars. The vacant pile of rubble down the centre of Binta has a 'for rent' sign so who knows :roll:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I heard before that the rent & annual key-money on Butterfly Bar added up to 1m Baht per year..that's alot of beer to sell before the place is in profit..plus extra expenses like lecky, & HH MiB.
But this venue has never been managed well, so maybe Tina's crew can swing it round..
.... :cheers:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Yes usual suspect, Tina will manage very well her new bar as she managed her former and actual bars.
Check the bills twice for the safety of your wallet.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Maybe this is a topic for a new thread but I've never really understood key money, why would anyone pay it? I suppose the idea is that the location is so good and availability of premises rare that a premium is added to take the lease but is that not shown in the monthly rent?
I've never heard of 'annual' key money like US says above. I assumed it was paid each time the lease is renewed so 3/5 years.
Who is it paid to? The owner?
Expat657
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Expat657 »

That pile of rubble down Bintabaht for rent.... 2.5m per year!!

Butterfly was originally up for 1.4m plus 40k per month

I also think anyone paying key money is crazy, chopper bar up soi 80, 2.5m key money plus 15k monthly.
Divide the key money into your contractual payments and your monthly rent then becomes ridiculous!
Good luck to them if they can get it but you've certainly got to sell some drink to make a decent profit.
Also people asking stupid money for a failed or failing business, personally all I see is the value of any inventory.

:cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

These days bars are sold to naive mugs who have no idea of the outgoings of a place. The price looks cheap when languishing in their home country and cruising the net They very soon catch a cold after a few months of shelling out to support a shrinking business. The only people who make are the half a dozen Thai landlords . Rents and key money never goes down.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Expat657
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Expat657 »

Agreed Richard!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Dozers working on the plot now and trucking ruble away. Latest news on the Thai barvine is it's to be a hotel
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Annual 'Key money'..is the result of bar-owners having Thai-Chinese nationals as their landlords/landladies...the new trend over the last few weeks is for bar-owners to say :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: when the new rental agreement is offered to them, & some have moved their bars up to Soi 80 or the 'railway Rd' area for a rest-bite from crippling rental-fees.
One successful bar owner in town had his rent hiked right up..so has just moved right next door to his original premises..THEN the previous landlord rang him up & in an angry tone said "you not pay rent!"..Bar owner say's "No..'cos I've moved next door for 5000B less per month"!..BYE!
I really do not know where this will end because the Thai-Chinese around the Binta-block square are just getting greedier & greedier year-by-year... :tsk:
(& all this coupled with fewer tourist-numbers, & shorter 'high-seasons' each year means making any real profit out of a bar a toughnut to crack.. :( )
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

I wonder if the Rich and Filthy in Hua Hin will be affected by the BKK scandal?
It would be nice to see corruption throughout Thailand get lowered somewhat.
I believe that I will always have several bars to chose from in Hua Hin for the rest of my
life, as there are still many thirsty travellers and tourists that visit the city. I don't even mind if I
have to go to Soi 80 to have a cool one.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
cock
Amateur
Amateur

Post by cock »

The odd thing is that Tourists want something to drink and the normal way is to do that in a bar. If prices go up too much you go somewhere else and the income for the bar owner drops. If bar owners have to pay key money or too high rent or lease they can't get profit and without profit they'll have to Close down. These landlords would need to understand that, otherwise no one would run any business in their premises. Either they are totally stupid or they adapt because the landlord who will have a descent annual/monthly fee will have a bar owner that will generate income that in the end will make the landlord happy. If prices go up too much it would cause problems for everyone. Just down a month every year (10 years now) and haven't seen any drop in numbers' of bars and restaurants. Some open and Close quickly some stay open for a longer period of time (those who have a descent relationship between owner and runner of the bar)...
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

cock wrote:The odd thing is that Tourists want something to drink and the normal way is to do that in a bar. If prices go up too much you go somewhere else and the income for the bar owner drops. If bar owners have to pay key money or too high rent or lease they can't get profit and without profit they'll have to Close down. These landlords would need to understand that, otherwise no one would run any business in their premises. Either they are totally stupid or they adapt because the landlord who will have a descent annual/monthly fee will have a bar owner that will generate income that in the end will make the landlord happy. If prices go up too much it would cause problems for everyone. Just down a month every year (10 years now) and haven't seen any drop in numbers' of bars and restaurants. Some open and Close quickly some stay open for a longer period of time (those who have a descent relationship between owner and runner of the bar)...
Firstly you are here during the VERY high season which is not replicated for the other 8 months.
Sceondly I am not aware of landlords dropping their rent so the result is 'those in the know' go to Soi 80 or there-a -bouts
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.