Bye-bye Red-Bar & Tina Bar..

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Re: Bye-bye Red-Bar & Tina Bar..

Post by charlesh »

May end up in a collapsed pile of rubble one day hopefully with no one in it!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

uncle tom wrote:
I saw them pouring the concrete. No rebar was used. Cables with end plates seemed to serve the same purpose. I later looked it up. I think it's either bonded or unbonded post-tensioned concrete:

If there's no other mesh in those slabs, there's no way those floors can be safe. I also noticed that the Acrow props used were light duty types, so I wouldn't put much faith in them.
Unfortunately I didn't take picture of the foundation being poured. Maybe I exaggerated, BUT if there was rebar there was so little that it registered as functionally equivalent to no rebar.
uncle tom wrote: How can they possibly contemplate completing the upper storeys of the project, without starting over again?
One reason could be unenforceable liability laws. A less evil explanation is they're waiting until the last gasp of high season has passed (Songkran?) to shut down and rebuild.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Dunno about Red-Bar, but the 'corner' bar was closed all Songkran..??
cock
Amateur
Amateur

Post by cock »

Just a one that stays a month or so during winter break but without having all your knowledge about Binta I feel that some competion as from soi 80 is not too bad as land lords then (at Binta) might feel that they can not act totally without respect for customers and their needs!!

I felt when I was down last winter break that atmosphere was a bit more friendly at soi 80 which I appreciated.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Any developments over the last couple of months?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I think the 'corner bar' is open again now Uncle Tom.
Tina bar, (now on the corner of Poolsuk) has just taken over Lazy Daze next door to them, & are now knocking it about..yet to see if Tina's make a big L-shaped bar, or run it as 2 seperate bars..??
Rumour has it that Celtic Bar midway down Binta is now up for sale at 4.5mil.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Rumour has it that Celtic Bar midway down Binta is now up for sale at 4.5mil.
Lease or freehold?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Got to be lease at that price
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Both bars are open now Tom..& no roof-supports visible anymore. The work on the 'upstairs' area above both bars seems to be at a standstill..lots of scaffold-sections in place, but nothing being done.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote:That means I freaked out a bit when I first saw the whacked off extensions. Because the ends of the tension cables were not snug against the outer frame of the concrete there is NO REINFORCEMENT other than those supporting steel props, and more importantly, the horizontal beams they're supporting. Concrete is strong in compression (think column) and surprisingly weak in tension (think floor). I would not enter that building.
I stumbled across the photos of the dangling extension cables. Why post this a year later? T.I.T., Fun with Concrete, and evidence in case the building loses the battle with load and gravity.
NoRebar.jpg
NoRebarCableHead.jpg
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

cock wrote:Just a one that stays a month or so during winter break but without having all your knowledge about Binta I feel that some competion as from soi 80 is not too bad as land lords then (at Binta) might feel that they can not act totally without respect for customers and their needs!!

I felt when I was down last winter break that atmosphere was a bit more friendly at soi 80 which I appreciated.

I feel the same way about Soi 80, it seems a little more down to earth and people are friendlier.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Soi 80 is more "down to earth" than BB? You find BB a little too 'uptown' a little too fashionable, elegant and snobby?
Could have fooled me.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote:Soi 80 is more "down to earth" than BB? You find BB a little too 'uptown' a little too fashionable, elegant and snobby?
Could have fooled me.
So for you there are no shades of gray between 'down to earth' and 'uptown'? I truly feel sorry for people who live in a word of polar opposites, unable to see the gradient between them.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

oakdale160 wrote:Soi 80 is more "down to earth" than BB? You find BB a little too 'uptown' a little too fashionable, elegant and snobby?
Could have fooled me.
'Down to earth' do you mean more slobs per square metre?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Homer wrote: So for you there are no shades of gray between 'down to earth' and 'uptown'? I truly feel sorry for people who live in a word of polar opposites, unable to see the gradient between them.
Wonderfully ironic. :laugh:
This is the way