Bye-bye Red-Bar & Tina Bar..

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Re: Bye-bye Red-Bar & Tina Bar..

Post by dozer »

H2ODunc wrote:What was the name of the red bar before it was that ? When I first came to HH I used to drink in there and my friend bought a girl out of the bar there. The owner used to be into golfing if I remember rightly.

Mondo Bar
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Apple?
Yes, but as we're not supposed to mention girl's names here, I didn't say..

..still, as she's a lady now, and not a BG - and as that's not her real name, maybe that's OK...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

TESTING 1 -2 TESTING ?
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

uncle tom wrote:
Apple?
Yes, but as we're not supposed to mention girl's names here, I didn't say..

..still, as she's a lady now, and not a BG - and as that's not her real name, maybe that's OK...

Hadn't noticed the transition from BG to Lady :duck: Once a BG always a BG IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
han108
Rookie
Rookie

Post by han108 »

Planning to be in Hua Hin end October. :D I understand Tina has reopened and perhaps this is in Lucky Lukes premises. Seems to be where it has been described to me. Tina runs a good bar so hope the atmosphere is as good as the old Tina bar.
Hope to play some golf - but not yet moved on from tourist visa status. This will change next year on retirement. :o
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Yep "Tina" has reinvented herself again, she has been working the Bin for more than twenty years, and goes back all the way to the "bungalow boom, boom" era.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Earlier this year, whilst lodging in the middle of town, we had a dawn chorus of jack hammers for several days, as the parapets on the new building were roughly hewn off.

Seems the developer of the site over-reached what he had been given permission to build, and was obliged to trim it back it a little..

- But with jack hammers?

Had the offending extensions been removed with a diamond disc, all might have been well, although the reinforcing system exposed in the process was unlike anything i've seen before.

The upshot was that the upper floors required a small forest of supporting steel props before the bars below could re-open, suggesting that the shock and vibration of the hammers had caused them to fracture.

As I left HH four weeks ago, there was no sign of building activity on the upper floors of this site, and I couldn't help pondering how they could rectify the structural problems, short of full demolition. I also wondered whether the fractures would cause the bars below to get wet, once the rains came..

- Anyone care to post an update on this saga?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

uncle tom wrote:... although the reinforcing system exposed in the process was unlike anything i've seen before.

The upshot was that the upper floors required a small forest of supporting steel props before the bars below could re-open, suggesting that the shock and vibration of the hammers had caused them to fracture.
Building is still in the same state, as far as I can tell.

I saw them pouring the concrete. No rebar was used. Cables with end plates seemed to serve the same purpose. I later looked it up. I think it's either bonded or unbonded post-tensioned concrete: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-stres ... d_concrete

That means I freaked out a bit when I first saw the whacked off extensions. Because the ends of the tension cables were not snug against the outer frame of the concrete there is NO REINFORCEMENT other than those supporting steel props, and more importantly, the horizontal beams they're supporting. Concrete is strong in compression (think column) and surprisingly weak in tension (think floor). I would not enter that building.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Homer wrote: That means I freaked out a bit when I first saw the whacked off extensions. Because the ends of the tension cables were not snug against the outer frame of the concrete there is NO REINFORCEMENT other than those supporting steel props, and more importantly, the horizontal beams they're supporting. Concrete is strong in compression (think column) and surprisingly weak in tension (think floor). I would not enter that building.
Just a heads up Homer...

I believe a fair whack of the buildings here wouldn't pass a safety inspection back home. If I were you I'd just steer clear of all building during your stay. :o
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I'll have a look-see for you Uncle Tom..but last time I walked by the building, both bars were trading, albeit with 6-8 'acrows' (adjustable supports) in each bar between the tables keeping-up the ceiling! (& these supports had all been nicely painted to blend-in somewhat..with an underlying message of Mai-Pen-Rai/business-as-usual).
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

usual suspect wrote:I'll have a look-see for you Uncle Tom..but last time I walked by the building, both bars were trading, albeit with 6-8 'acrows' (adjustable supports) in each bar between the tables keeping-up the ceiling! (& these supports had all been nicely painted to blend-in somewhat..with an underlying message of Mai-Pen-Rai/business-as-usual).
Apple being the biggest 'acrow' there :duck:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I saw them pouring the concrete. No rebar was used. Cables with end plates seemed to serve the same purpose. I later looked it up. I think it's either bonded or unbonded post-tensioned concrete...
This stuff?
Attachments
ptc.jpg
ptc.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
blackmike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blackmike »

Oh, Indian bought it. Will more a tailor shop open in HH?
Sanctum
Novice
Novice

Post by Sanctum »

Bar previous to Red Bar was correctly Mondo, short for the owners name Raymond(o) Kite. Why I remember?? Used him as our golf contact for big groups (32 golfers) for some years until he blew me for 350 000 Baht. Think he left the country the day after and hoprfully neveer returned :cuss:

Sorry for late reply, found this thread only now!
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I saw them pouring the concrete. No rebar was used. Cables with end plates seemed to serve the same purpose. I later looked it up. I think it's either bonded or unbonded post-tensioned concrete:
If there's no other mesh in those slabs, there's no way those floors can be safe. I also noticed that the Acrow props used were light duty types, so I wouldn't put much faith in them.

How can they possibly contemplate completing the upper storeys of the project, without starting over again?