Breaking a glass in a bar

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Breaking a glass in a bar

Post by ste860 »

well i certainly wont be going back and i also did not pay ,i know its petty and was only a 100 baht but im still pi#% off now ,i hate someone trying it on
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I would caution against naming the bar, after all who is too say that the OP is telling the complete story, he/she may for all we know have had one too many and only has a sporadic memory of the event(s) leading up to the incident.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

After reading the end of page 2, I was just clicking onto page 3 with a post in mind but Dozer's already said it! The fact that posters were actually asking for the place to be named to make sure they steer clear of it... well - beggars belief really.

So in theory anyone could post anything about any bar and some on here would take it word for word, possibly tell others too. :shock:

I'm not saying in any shape or form that the OP is telling porkies but... come on. To call for the name of the bar so one shall be sure never to attend?
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

dozer wrote:I would caution against naming the bar, after all who is too say that the OP is telling the complete story, he/she may for all we know have had one too many and only has a sporadic memory of the event(s) leading up to the incident.
dozer i could safely say i was far from drunk what happened was true ,but i will as stated in the op not name the bar ,the owner knows too he was there ,i just thought id let people know what happened and get peoples thoughts and maybe make them aware of the level some bar might go to.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

The point I was making is that it would in my opinion be wrong to name and shame a bar on the word of an anonymous poster on a internet forum and that does not seem to be ste860 intention.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
av8er

Post by av8er »

Paying for the glass and "voting with your feet" is missing a trick. What I've done in the past, when someone p*ssed me off is, I've paid the bill, shown them a large wedge of cash in my wallet and said "Sawatdee." That way they KNOW I-and more importantly, my money- won't be back.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

What I've done in the past, when someone p*ssed me off is, I've paid the bill, shown them a large wedge of cash in my wallet and said "Sawatdee." That way they KNOW I-and more importantly, my money- won't be back.
And one day, because you decide to flaunt said large wad of cash to a disgruntled bar owner you, and more importantly none of your money, may end up in a ditch somewhere after owner has notified chums upon your leaving the establishment.

Rule #1: Never show off large amounts of moolah in the bar area.

Keep safe
av8er

Post by av8er »

I take your point, GLCQ, perhaps," largish" is more accurate, and bear in mind it takes the average Thai about 2minutes to see-understand-react, by which time I'm long gone. The last time I did it was in the electrical department at Central shopping centre when I was trying to buy a CD player. I don't think I'd ever do it at night, and/or well tanked!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: broken glass

Post by margaretcarnes »

Takiap wrote:100 baht is nothing - about 2 quid, but let's not forget, you wouldn't have to pay 2 quid for breaking a glass back in quidland, or any other land for that matter.

I would have paid without argument, but I would also have informed them that I will not be back. It's not about the money - I just don't like supporting places that are owned by _________. :laugh:

And besides, unless you shop at index, I doubt you'll even be able to find a glass that costs 100 baht.

:cheers:
I've worked bars in quidland - run a club there - run bars in the LOS - and never ever come across this practice before. Sure way to lose custom IMO. So agreed. Find another place after paying well over the odds.
It is sounding though like yet another LOS money making idea guaranteed to encourage tourism. Only a matter of time before some farang newbie kicks off and gets into deep s..t.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I'm with Lung Per on this one - I've heard of it before. Principally in the motherland of scams- Phuket, but it seems to have spread. Basically a chipped glass is shown to the punter who is then obliged under some duress to pay up the inflated cost of the glass he supposedly broke. Heard of it in bars and hotels. I don't suppose anyone will be surprised that a successful play or scam has moved on.

This may even be part of the same idea: some of the name hotels in Bangkok are now offering up quite extensive and pricey charge lists for in-room breakages. I can understand certain things - mirrors, hair dryers etc - but not glasses or towels.
I was told by one well known budget hotel (of French origin with a 'birdy' type name) on Sukhumvit Soi 4 that they wanted 500 baht to secure against possible damages. 'Dirtying' of towels was specifically quoted, which in my world is a normal cost of running a hotel.

Now, I am not unfamiliar with similar requests to hold against the mini-bar, but I was somewhat taken aback at that response from an international chain hotel. I asked them to show me a list of what was considered chargeable and how much (the minibar has a pricelist so why not?). Hotel management refused point blank to show me a list, and gave me the money back. And I do mean refused as in 'we will not show you the list'. That is unsettling in my book. It suggests that they were in a position to try it on, that such a list exists, and that they felt I had rumbled them or that there was something to hide.

I reported the incident through the booking agency, just in case.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

FWT Fair Wear and Tear for FFS i know it's hard to make money but........... :roll:

Kendo. :thumb:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Xtreme
Novice
Novice

Post by Xtreme »

I read where someone said 100Baht is nothing...well, having owned and managed bars, restaurants and discos in Thailand as well as HK, Singapore, Manila and Japan for the past 30 years I can tell you that glasses usually come free along with your stock orders if you request them...Heinekin, Singha, Johnny Walker etc..are more than willing to throw in a few dozen cheap glasses to keep you as a client. If the glasses were to be paid for they cost around 10Baht each when bought in bulk. SO! 100Baht for a broken glass...great way to lose good returning customers, accidents and alcohol go hand in hand.....come on barkeeps who charge, wake-up.....
Razakal
Novice
Novice

Post by Razakal »

you could always bring your own glass! and if they break it you can charge them ;)
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Razakal wrote:you could always bring your own glass! and if they break it you can charge them ;)
That's a very good idea, Ollie. I'd like to see that. Every farang carrying his own glass or mug around the bars in Hua Hin. What a sight , what an idea!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :lach:
A friend is only one click away
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

100 Baht is too much charged for one glass: possibly
There are places where they implemented the broken glass scam: possibly

Aragon said:
Things such as breakages should be factored into the cost of doing business, you surely can't expect to run a bar and not have breakages.
Western logic and business practice does not apply here. They argue that you caused material damage (even by accident) and you are liable for the damage.
Sometimes staff is responsible for the damage so if they do not claim from the guest the owner might simply deduct from the salary.

I remember having dinner at one of the seafood restaurants on stilts in Hua Hin on invitation by Thais. One of the children dropped a glass whereupon the Thai called a waitress and asked her to clean it up, he then gave her 50 Baht and told her to put the glass on the bill.

Another example of cultural differences: if you go visit friends in their home and let's say you knock a glass off the table. I think most will agree that it would be polite to offer to clean it up yourself which will most likely be refused and also to pay for the damages. It would then not be uncommon (customary) for the host to kindly refuse to accept any money. I have seen exactly this happen in Thailand (the glass was on the floor of course). Firstly the culprit did not offer to clean the mess herself but immediately ordered the daughter of the host to do so. Secondly she offered (co-incidence) 100 Baht to the host for the glass which was without a blink instantly accepted. The persons involved were sisters and for both 100 Baht is a lot of money.
Korkenzieher wrote: 'Dirtying' of towels was specifically quoted, which in my world is a normal cost of running a hotel.
Regular 'dirtying' is, but in cause of blood or even worse henna tattoo ink the towel cannot be cleaned. So the guests pays for replacement and the hotel should give the dirty towel wrapped to the guest thus ensuring it was not a 'scam'.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.