Aug 2-3 National Holiday, bars closed?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Sydman
Rookie
Rookie

Aug 2-3 National Holiday, bars closed?

Post by Sydman »

I just read that 2-3 August are a national holiday in Thailand and bars are closed.
I arrive on the 2nd in Hua Hin and was wondering how strictly this is enforced there?
I do touristy stuff during the day but like to play pool, watch a band, have a few drinks in the evening.

Basically my question is will my first ever 2 days in Hua Hin be dry and "lonely"??
Big Boy

Re: Aug 2-3 National Holiday, bars closed?

Post by Big Boy »

Welcome to the forum Sydman.

The centre of town will almost certainly be dark and dry. However, the further out of town you venture, the more chance you will have of finding some company. You might have to drink out of a disused soft drinks can (you might get a tea cup if you're really lucky), but you'll find something.

Welcome to Hua Hin :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Sukku
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sukku »

Hello

will the supermarkets (lotus/tesco) be closed too?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Sukku wrote:Hello

will the supermarkets (lotus/tesco) be closed too?
No.
Sukku
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sukku »

Great! thanks for the info :)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Always pays to stock up just in case
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I assume the bars are closed on the 12th too for the Queens birthday. I may be wrong
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

One of our waitresses who is at college thru' the daytime brought in a sizable book that she was studying for her course-work. The name of that big fat book..??
'SUSTAINABLE TOURISM IN THAILAND' :? :? :cuss:

I then proceeded to explain that this book was only good for 1 thing..(well is was THAT kind of paper, OK maybe not up to 'Andrex-standard'). :naughty:

Then I explained about the Thai powers-that-be..closing bars in 'Tourist Areas' at the drop of a hat.
Charging 4/5 times more to enter Nat.Park Areas, No chance of Immigration queues being improved at BKK airport, Jet-ski scams, greedy Tuk-Tuk operators etc,etc. :guns:

I STILL fail to see WHY the bars in 'Tourist Areas/Zones need to close on these occasions..??
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I can't think of anything more damaging to Thailand's tourist industry than periodically forcing the bars to close, but I'd probably be wasting my time trying to do anything about it.. :banghead:

On a more practical front, the farang community in HH ought to have some sort of contingency arrangement for these days - find some place near the middle of town which is not a bar, but where all-comers can sit and chat, and drink bottles and cans they bring themselves..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

UT

It is already done by many of us and of course if you know where to go there are places that openly serve drinks.

Binta block is just a tourist target and done to create an impression on tourists that Thais really respect there holidays and obey the law
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:It is already done by many of us and of course if you know where to go there are places that openly serve drinks.
But we are not part of Thailand's tourist industry.

Points 41; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Some tourists ask and some read the Thai forums
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but there'll more that don't, and that will be very damaging both to the return business element, but more importantly the sustainment of local businesses/employees.

Points 41; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Agreed BB, but TAT and the Government don't really care. TAT are spineless eunuchs and to the government, tourism is a small part of their economy. Furthermore they do not give a sh1t about the affect on local traders so it's :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: especially if you are in a business affected by tourism
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I spent most of last month in Hua Hin and two out of the three weekends I was there, all the bars were closed due to elections. Now it's not so much of an issue for me as I have a house and friends and neighbours to visit but if I was in a hotel downtown staring at the walls, I wouldn't be thinking so highly of Thailand as a tourist destination.