Past Bars..

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
ironside61
Rookie
Rookie

Past Bars..

Post by ironside61 »

Ive lived in Hua Hin many years but my memory is a little hazy which were the names of the first few bars......
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Past Bars..

Post by margaretcarnes »

As you may remember Chris (Guess) had begun to try to get info together on the bar history shortly before he died. As far as I know no-one else has carried on with it.
I believe the first bar was the Headrock, but also...errr oh help the braincells have gone! The Thai lady now on Soi 80 - she had one of the first bars near the entrance to Sofitel.
Billys and Berneys have both been there a long time, and Little Big Horn, which was next to Berneys, must also have been an early one. As was Taxi Jacks (The White House.) and Craig was an early settler with U Turn. They all go back to 99 or before. And at that time there was also Little England on Soi Kanjanomai run by Gary, as well as All Nations of course.
Lomus' lady had a bar on the Binta but there weren't nearly so many down there as now. Gee Restaurant took up about 3 bar unit spaces down there after moving from it's original site.
On Poolsuk there was a space which is now the little Plaza thing, and again very few bars. Maybe only 3 between Binta and Selakem. Then Fred opened the Flamingo and we opened the Ship.
Lomu and Usual Suspect will remember more.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Linda
Now she owns half of soi 80
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

richard wrote:
Linda
Now she owns half of soi 80
I really don't know how I forgot that Richard! Complete blank there. So was Lindas' first bar the second bar after Headrock (IYSWIM)?

Mustn't forget Kings either, and Jungle Juice, and Jailhouse One. But those were all around 2000 and maybe the OP is going back earlier.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

coconuts and Hogs Breath
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

sargeant wrote:coconuts and Hogs Breath
Yes Sarge and my apologies to Jim for missing out Coconuts. But where has the OP ironside gone to? We really need a time scale here!
moose 961

Post by moose 961 »

nung's bar has to be on your list.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

From mid 90's I recall Rose Bar, owned by the lady who now owns Nice and Easy, and Roma. There weren't that many in those days but as I only visited HH very irregulary, I can remember no other names. The guest house bars (one owned by Billy) and Bernie's 19th Hole were there, too.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I think Billy took over the Joy Guesthouse from a Dutch guy called Jack. After that Billy relocated and opened the bar where he still is. Was Roma the Italian place opposite Joy? An interesting combination of a garden pizza restaurant and a girly bar! With a huge python and a live chicken together in a cage.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ahh, those halcyon days, I suppose you'll also remember the restaurant run by Kees next to the Som Wan in Soi Kanjanomai ...

Hurricane pub was one of my faves, especially when Thep would thrash out some drunken rage on his guitar and hurl abuse at the crowd!

Anyone remember the Rockestra? And who can forget those Paradise disco nights!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Paradise yeah, the finale after a night of serious Bintabahting. First time I saw a disco without a dance floor. The Thais doing the dancing right next to their tables.
And the next morning breakfast at Kees Amsterdam Bar & Usaah Guest House followed by a hair of the dog that bit you! Soi Kanjanomai: besides Kees a few family run backpacker guest houses and of course Uwe with his Nord Deutsches Restaurant. Then off to play a round of mini-golf and meet some of the farang regulars there and have another beer. For some reason back then work could wait.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Ah, that minigolf was a pearl. Used to spend a lot of time there when I was in town with a tour group.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

moose 961 wrote:nung's bar has to be on your list.
That was Taxi Jacks second home I think - he spent many hours playing chess with Nung.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

More of this sentimental stuff can be found in this 2008 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10366
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

buksida wrote:Ahh, those halcyon days, I suppose you'll also remember the restaurant run by Kees next to the Som Wan in Soi Kanjanomai ...

Hurricane pub was one of my faves, especially when Thep would thrash out some drunken rage on his guitar and hurl abuse at the crowd!

Anyone remember the Rockestra? And who can forget those Paradise disco nights!
Rockestra....How can I forget it? Many a happy night there. Wha't there now?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.