bar invasion

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Lee1975
Professional
Professional

Re: bar invasion

Post by Lee1975 »

The old man that sells the roses, I have a good laugh with him.
Keep telling him not to call me flower.
They are all harmless, a simple no or as someone says, no eye contact and they go elsewhere.
Got used to it and it never bothers me, it's part of life in Thailand.
The only things I regret are the things I didn't do
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Ive never had a problem with giving them the "meeow crap" :D - a little politeness goes a long long way.

I also dont believe in crapping on poor people just trying to make a living, no matter how annoying and intrusive they may be and how many Hienekens are swimming round my stomach and brain. There but for the grace of god.....

If anything Id assess there are a lot less sellers than when I came in 2005. Certainly I see a lot less DVD lads and flower sellers.

The shoe cleaning man I used to like as he always did a bang up job on my bike boots and even polished and cleaned the bootstrap rings properly to get rid of the polish that got on them.

And if you want a totally seller free beer drink in Geronimo Bar - there is a sign on the door saying no sellers, and all of them know better than to test Geronimo Mike and Brynns patience. They never go in there.

Remember kids...there is only one thing money cant buy..... poverty.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

It's interesting to read the different thoughts and opinions on this thread, not to mention some of the "facts" that are being quoted.

My farang wife and I have stayed here for over 5 years now, and never had a problem with the sellers. Well, perhaps a slight problem in the early days of being here. We 'befriended" one of the young flower sellers and my wife would occasionally give her 20 baht, or buy her a sweet from the 7/11.

With hindsight it is obvious that it would become expected, and I certainly don't blame the flower seller for trying to maximise their income streams, but we had to politely make it clear what our rules were. It actually worked out fine and we are still "friends" with this flower seller, and they no longer try to sell flowers to us.

Having learnt our lesson we have become "friends" with many of the sellers in town, and one of our favourites is a daughter of the one armed woman. We don't see her, the daughter, around town so often now, as she goes to school and is doing very well. She NEVER tries to sell us anything, but is always pleased to see us and will come and sit for a chat. A nicer young lass you couldn't hope to meet.

In general, people will respond to how you treat them, and we always find a polite smile along with mai ow khap does the job.

Perhaps some of the people experiencing problems, should have a look in the mirror. :duck:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Don East Stand wrote: Having learnt our lesson we have become "friends" with many of the sellers in town, and one of our favourites is a daughter of the one armed woman.
Don ES, I agree with a lot of what you say.

However, the one armed woman is running a network of sellers (presumably to maintain her villa with swimming pool). A friend of mine dated one of her daughters and invited her out for a meal. When she turned up she did so with her mother and several other members of her family. Enraged by the cheek he threw some money on the table and walked out.

Yes they are nice to you if you are nice to them but at the end of the day they are there to make money out of naive tourists and over generous expats.

As for the phoney monks.............. :cuss: :cuss:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

What about the 'Blind duo'..? Yes, the pair that gets dropped-off in various parts of town by a black VW Transporter mini-bus with darkened glass? You know the ones.. you pay them to F/O cos that sh***y 'Boom-box' hangin' round his neck is kicking-out a such dreadful noise (not to be cofused as 'music')..they earn money just to (as Johnny Walker states)..Keep walking..!!
platinumpools
Rookie
Rookie

Post by platinumpools »

Just back after 6 years away and can't say I've noticed a huge increase in numbers
of this type of vendor. Lot of the same old faces (including the little, skinny flower
seller with gender issues and Croaking Frog women)

Can be a bit distracting but they're all only trying to scratch a living after all and it'll
take more than a flower to distract me from my beer for long. Also, why is there
never a DVD seller around when you actually want to buy a movie?
jason_recliner
Novice
Novice

Post by jason_recliner »

platinumpools wrote: why is there
never a DVD seller around when you actually want to buy a movie?
:mrgreen:

So true!

In many touristy / holiday areas of S/E Asia you have to deal with street sellers and touts. It can be a bit annoying, but if they had the opportunity to work a cushy desk job I'm sure they'd take it. Every now and then I'll buy a little something or make a small donation.

But when I actually NEED a pirate DVD or a tasty salted snack, where the bloody hell are they?!?!?!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

DVD's???????

Most people are downloading now

Tourists are also wary of the fact some stuff generated over here won't play at home
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

richard wrote:DVD's???????

Most people are downloading now

Tourists are also wary of the fact some stuff generated over here won't play at home
I occasionally buy DVD's (always from the same guy) and generally they are of good quality. Sometimes if they are worth watching I will rip them to a ghard drive and save for the future. If I do have problems the seller will always exchange them.
If it's a well known and recent film you are right, it's easier to simply download (speed permitting).
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Post by Arcadian »

We always get our dvd`s from a stall in the night market near the corner where the night market meets the road. Never had a problem.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

The one armed flower seller discussed on here is harmless and we tend to give her our small change when we see her.

Not long ago the woman was run over and left for dead, probably by some hi so who couldn't care less. Anyone not noticed the damage on her legs.

As someone else said, there by the grace of god go I. Nothing wrong with a help up rather than a hand out now and again while were supping out beers.

Ttm
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

tuktukmike wrote:The one armed flower seller discussed on here is harmless and we tend to give her our small change when we see her.

Not long ago the woman was run over and left for dead, probably by some hi so who couldn't care less. Anyone not noticed the damage on her legs.

As someone else said, there by the grace of god go I. Nothing wrong with a help up rather than a hand out now and again while were supping out beers.

Ttm
:agree: not much more to add except, thanks be that I, or my loved ones, are not in the same situation! Treat people with politeness unless they treat you otherwise.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I thought the number of street vendors was well down this year.

Thailand must be just about the only developing nation where you can make eye contact with a street vendor and not be saddled with them for the next half hour..

..and most of the vendors have been around for yonks..

- 'Hello flower' - he needs his stick now, but in the early days it was a prop to make him look more needy

- That Hill tribe crone - she looked eighty ten years ago..

- The one armed flower seller, with a terribly crooked ankle to boot

- The girl with the 100W smile, with the big bunches of flowers and spray can

- The watch vendors - only saw one this year - always look a bit dodgy..

- The shoe shiner - who needs to go to charm school..

- The camp trinket seller - always fun to talk to..

None of them will ask you twice, although the hill tribe lady does tend to hover...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Eiahhh

Post by Eiahhh »

Whats with those "gipsy people" with all sorts of things on them and like black stuff dripping from they're teeth/mouth?? So unbelievable nasty!
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Minor irritant. There are major irritants on offer for those feeling deprived.
Happiness can't buy money