Bars with women singing on stage

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Bars with women singing on stage

Post by JamesWest »

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum. I have just moved to Hua Hin.

I was on Canal Road? (the wide road that parallels Thanon Phetkasem Road to the West, somewhere around Na Pu Klam Alley. I saw a few bars that were very large and had Thai women on stage singing. You can see them up on stage from the street. I was curious and stopped at the entrance where two Thai woman who had seen better days were asking me, in Thai, to come in. There was one very young Thai girl who's job seem to be to sit at the entrance and look very bored. She shot me a dirty look. Normally I have no problem going just about anywhere in Thailand but this place was really dark and I could not figure out what was happening in this place. So I took off. Then about 100 feet down the road, heading south, I came across a very similar bar, with women also singing on stage, but this time the person who came out was very obviously a ladyboy. He was starting to twist my arm to come in so I hit the throttle. I don't think these were karaoke bars, as the women were very nicely dressed, like professional performers. I am thinking these as just bars for Thais to watch women sing or perform? It might be interesting to go back there for a beer and see what goes on. I will do another recon and give a better location later. Anybody know what I am talking about?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Bars with women singing on stage

Post by HHTel »

'Singing bars' are very common in other places in Thailand. You can sit and have a beer although you may be joined by some other girls. When a girl sings, it's common practice to buy a garland and give it to her. The more garlands she's wearing indicates her popularity and also the money she's making. She sells these garlands back to the seller for half the price you've paid for it so everyone wins (except you of course).

There's often rivalry between the customers to see who presents the most garlands to a particular girl.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thai knocking shops really. Not all that safe for a solitary farang IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You're absolutely right, Richard. I have seen these in some quite up-market settings but as you say, still a knocking shop. Just higher prices!
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

thanks for this info. I will take another look around in a few nights and if the ladyboy does not get me I will report back.
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

I know exactly where you mean James, it's poorly lit and I have called in a few times on my way home. Pretty much what you see you can buy. If you have a seat girls will sit with you and eventually in thai they will ask if you can buy them a drink or they will ask if you want company
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

just becareful if you act green ,the bill can soon be padded with extras ,i was in one and they charged a friend just for a girl sitting next to him ,lucky for me i knew the score so declined the offer, his bill was over 1000 baht for 1 drink ,but this was in bkk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

ste860 wrote:just becareful if you act green ,the bill can soon be padded with extras ,i was in one and they charged a friend just for a girl sitting next to him ,lucky for me i knew the score so declined the offer, his bill was over 1000 baht for 1 drink ,but this was in bkk
Apparently that place up on the hill towards Him Lek Fai is like that, they charge some silly amount of money for a girl to talk to you billed by the 30 minutes.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

richard wrote:Thai knocking shops really. Not all that safe for a solitary farang IMO
Exactly what is a "Knocking Shop"? Is it what it sounds like, a place primarily - or rather solely for make customers part with their money? ....and like OP askes here, are they primarily for Thais?
I have been to quite a few local Thai towns outside of the tourist areas over the years, but not observed this kind of venue.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Frank La Rue wrote:
richard wrote:Thai knocking shops really. Not all that safe for a solitary farang IMO
Exactly what is a "Knocking Shop"? Is it what it sounds like, a place primarily - or rather solely for make customers part with their money? ....and like OP askes here, are they primarily for Thais?
I have been to quite a few local Thai towns outside of the tourist areas over the years, but not observed this kind of venue.
A knocking shop literally translated would be a brothel - a place to go for sex.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Frank La Rue wrote: I have been to quite a few local Thai towns outside of the tourist areas over the years, but not observed this kind of venue.
I remember taking various coach trips down from Bangkok to the southern islands and seeing them all over the place. I guess that, outside of major cities like Hua Hin (where there is still a market for them in land), they might only be seen on the side of main roads.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been to a few (with my wife in tow) in Isaan - usually great fun.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

These type of places are known as 'hostess bars' and are quite common in Asia.
The girls will sit with you (note you're typically asked if you want someone to sit with you and they expect you to know the type of place you're in) and they charge in blocks of between 45 minutes to an hour. Always ask for the rate, they differ from place to place.
Most (but nor all) are available for extra-curricular activities.

Very different from the go-go bars in Bangers and Sodom-by-the-sea where the go-go girls do their shift but *can* sit for free.

This hostess bar format can be found in the karaoke bars (you know the ones with all the lovelies sitting on stools outside) as well.
วินเชนท์
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

VincentD wrote:These type of places are known as 'hostess bars' and are quite common in Asia.
The girls will sit with you (note you're typically asked if you want someone to sit with you and they expect you to know the type of place you're in) and they charge in blocks of between 45 minutes to an hour. Always ask for the rate, they differ from place to place.
Most (but nor all) are available for extra-curricular activities.

Very different from the go-go bars in Bangers and Sodom-by-the-sea where the go-go girls do their shift but *can* sit for free.

This hostess bar format can be found in the karaoke bars (you know the ones with all the lovelies sitting on stools outside) as well.

Ah - Karaoke Bars, Karaoke Bars - don't get me started, they used to be heaven with me. An extrovert personaliy with an inate urge to perform but no singing talent, I used to feel like a rock star for a wee few hours, whether in Japan or Thailand.
I remember the Karaoke Bar in Krungsri River Hotel Ayutthaya, where I used to stay for work....... I didn't even know that Pattaya and Patpong existed, I was happy in my personal heaven, the girls would cheer, clap and embrace me after my singing, beer and whisky flowing freely.
How good for the soul it is to be dilutional some times. :rasta:
Last edited by Frank La Rue on Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Umm, on seeing BB's post, forgot to mention.
They're typically not there for the sex, but more for company, pour your drinks and sing along with you. You're not under any pressure to barfine them. Think that's a seperate arrangement.

And yes, good fun but can cost a pretty penny...

And yes, Frank, the girls on Soi Thaniya do cater for the Japanese crowd in this format plus you don't really want to know the going hourly rate...
วินเชนท์