Bars closed for Wisakha Bucha Day, May 13

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Bars closed for Wisakha Bucha Day, May 13

Post by Big Boy »

I've just read that bars are closed tomorrow in respect of Wisakha Bucha Day. I haven't read it on the forum yet, so thought I'd mention it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Re: Wisakha Bucha Day

Post by lomuamart »

Another lock down. Popped over the road earlier for a couple of beers and the roads are packed again. I reckon that the locals are lucky in April and May for public holidays. When do they ever work?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Bars closed for Wisakha Bucha Day, May 13

Post by oakdale160 »

Tuesday, not a great day for a holiday, but not a bad day for a no beer day.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Is there any specific religious significance with regard to alcohol here, or is it just a more general 'respect' thing?

I'm thinking that if it's the latter, could there be scope for agreeing 'no music' nights on Buddha days - which wouldn't bother many - instead of bar closures?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I, personally, find it extraordinary that bar closures need to be announced.

It's like the opposite of Alcoholic's Anonymous.

Are some people really that into girls and alcohol... :shock:

Even if you went down there, only to find it's closed, there are plenty of restaurants to enjoy yourself in near by. Maybe no prostitutes or alcohol, though... :roll:

Edit: Saying that, if there was a coming dry period of 'God's gift' to the world, I would like to be informed in advance :wink: .

:cheers:
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Tue May 13, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bit of a silly generalization that GLC; maybe some are just on vacation here for a few days and fancy a couple of drinks in the evening. If the town is closed it would be pertinent to let them know about it on this forum, for that is its purpose.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

True Buksida, I didn't really put much thought into that one. I certainly didn't think about those pesky tourists.

My mistake.

:cheers:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It used to be that the 5star hotels were exempted, not true any more.
Also many restaurants closed, probably to give the staff the evening at home, that's fine with me. I have much more problem with the election closures.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

At midnight yesterday when the bars were closing my party moved onto the Hilton. Seems odd you can listen to a band playing and continue to drink with Thais and foreigners till 2am whilst all other establishments are closed out of respect for Buddha.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

OK guys, take your ex-pat (or semi ex-pat) hats off..

..for the ordinary Joe enjoying his two weeks freedom from wage slavery, a night of closed bars is a real bummer, and something that's going to weigh heavily when he decides where next to spend his precious days of freedom.

Closed bars - even for one day - is not good for Thai tourism.

If there's a way of keeping the bars open without giving offence it should be pursued.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

You are a very sociable guy, uncle tom and are representative of many or even most of the ex pts in the bars on BB, there for the fun and comradie, not there to get drunk, not there just to meet and pick up a compensated companion for the night but to have a few drinks, have a few laughs, talk to a few friendly Thai girls and boost the Thai economy. Your needs should be respected.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote:I didn't really put much thought into that one.
Maybe you should just put that in your sig :D
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

At this time of year isnt more expats then tourists?!?
at the risk of becoming unpopular... i kind of agree with QLCQuantum :o.
I'm sure one mid-week day of no drinking or girls wouldn't finish off any of the old boys living here
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We had a party at home and I've got a bigger hangover than if the bars had been open. Personally I've no objection to these closures as long as we're warned about it in advance so the fridge can be filled. When I'm away working, I do a lot of antisocial hours that don't leave much time for drinking so when I take a break, I prefer to enjoy myself.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

A quick read-up on Buddhism and alcohol suggests there is no specific edict against alcohol, but that good Buddhists should not get drunk as it leads to 'heedlessness'.

The argument for closing bars on Buddhist red letter days looks a bit tenuous, unless backed by statute law.