Hua Hin bars closing at midnight

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Re: Hua Hin bars closing at midnight

Post by Winkie »

I would imagine that they are restricted by the same licensing hours as booze shops.

No alchohol can be sold between midnight - 11am, and then again between 2pm - 5pm

But I certainly could be wrong!
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

londongeorge wrote:I don't like to drink in the daytime and normally don't go out until about 10 P.M. So when it was 2 O'clock closing it was fine for me.
Me too, I am sure there are more than a few of us out there that like to start around 10pm, those two hours can certainly make a difference. I wonder how long it is going to last, same story last night. They are very serious about this.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

chelsea wrote:If they are still enforcing the curfew and if the game is at 5.00am, there should be no problem as the curfew ends at 5.00am. Bar should be able to open then surely
Curfew is over in Hua Hin!

Winkie wrote:I would imagine that they are restricted by the same licensing hours as booze shops.
No alchohol can be sold between midnight - 11am, and then again between 2pm - 5pm
But I certainly could be wrong!
Bars can absolutely sell alcohol between 2 and 5 pm.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

I know allot of what we read on the forum is hearsay and opinion so I thought to myself, why not just ask the police why bars are being shut down at 12am. Better to get something straight from the horses mouth right ?

I went in around 5pm today and asked to speak to someone in charge, a couple of the officers did not really understand what I was asking and told me to wait 5 minutes for the translator, (A very attractive one at that)

She explained how it all worked, she said don't confuse the curfew with martial law which people are doing, they are two completely separate things. The curfew has been lifted yes, but the entire country is still under martial law and that martial law is dictating that bars are closed at midnight, NOT the curfew. The curfew had to do with people specifically not being able to leave their home between those hours for any reason, be it going to 7-11 or a bar or wherever.

She also noted that Martial Law was applying to only the "illegal" (for lack of a better word) bars. Meaning those that don't have a certain license. She gave me the example of the Hilton Hotel having the correct license therefore the bar attached to that Hotel is allowed to stay open till 2am. She did't mention any other Hotels but I am sure this applies to any bar with this specific kind of license.

So basically as long as Martial Law still applies the police will still be driving around at midnight asking everyone to close. She asked me if I was concerned because I was a bar owner but I told her I was not. She was extremely polite and courteous as was everyone in the station, I do have to commend their customer service skills and friendliness!

My friend who lives in Pattaya has informed me that all the bars there are open till 2am and don't close at 12 since the curfew was lifted, I find that interesting.

I have given my account of what happened today, none of it is derogatory at all, I just wanted to explain only the facts and not give a biased opinion in any way. I found this information very informative I hope it helps explain the situation a little more.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

According to a Thai friend wich is a bar owner in Bintabat, only 13 venues have this certain license here in Hua Hin. Amongst those are the likes of Hilton, Hi 4 and Music Room. The problem for the bar owners are that as with the current situation, the authorities do not issue new licenses. Only "tea money" Wil do the trick. And according to my friend the amount she has to pay is 50000 baht, wich for her and her small bar is completely out of the question.
YNWA
ryouz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ryouz »

is it back to normal now?
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

ryouz wrote:is it back to normal now?
Not sure what constitutes as normal but I was in Tina's this morning at 1.20am. The shutters were being brought down at about 1.10am but as we were sitting outside we seemed ok to carry on till 1.30am. It was then that a cop car came by and politely suggested that the owner really close completely which she did. I am assuming 1am is closing time but I did see quite a few girls leaving their bars around midnight. I presume the quieter bars are closing earlier around midnight therefore.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

ryouz wrote:is it back to normal now?
Does not look like it. I just spoke to one of my cashier friends at one of the bars around Binterbaht, she said the bars all had a meeting with the Police at 2.30pm today to talk about closing time. Nothing came of it apparently and nothing has changed. Geez, I wonder what they are looking for ?? I have no idea what it could be that would keep them satisfied !!! What a friggin joke..
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Are the police enforcing closing times at the bars on soi 80 the same as they are on Bintabhat?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Few things amaze me more than British summer time (daylight saving in other lands)

- Why is it that a tiny minority who have an interest in being out and about when it's light force everyone else to change their clocks, when they could so easily change their working hours instead?

Similarly, why do tourists on holiday feel the urgent need to drink to the small hours, when they could just as easily start earlier in the evening...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

uncle tom wrote: Similarly, why do tourists on holiday feel the urgent need to drink to the small hours, when they could just as easily start earlier in the evening...
And why do some retirees feel the need to bang the same old 'holier than thou' record out over and over again when his argument has been countered time and time again?
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

A 01:00am last orders, with a 40 so minutes drink up time is probably about right and suits most bar owners. Around the mid 90’s the bar owners lobbied for longer hours and much to everyone’s surprise, they got the go ahead for 24 hour opening. However, the bar owner’s enthusiasm for open all hours soon wore thin and within weeks, they were back to the 01:00/02:00 closing times
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

uncle tom wrote:Few things amaze me more than British summer time (daylight saving in other lands)

- Why is it that a tiny minority who have an interest in being out and about when it's light force everyone else to change their clocks, when they could so easily change their working hours instead?

Similarly, why do tourists on holiday feel the urgent need to drink to the small hours, when they could just as easily start earlier in the evening...
I am getting really tired of reading this comment, its like a broken record at this point. There are many different reasons people want to drink till 2am or later, if you want to know those reasons then I suggest you look at other posts. It seems as if you believe people come out with a quota in their minds already

Friend A to Friend B - "Lets drink for 5 hours tonight"
Friend B. "Yeah that sounds good, lets start at 9pm"
Friend A "No we can't do that, everything shuts down at 1am now"
Friend B "Good thinking Friend A, lets start drinking at 8pm! Starting earlier in the evening is such a smart idea, why isn't everyone as smart as we are!!"

Is that pretty much your take on how it works for every single person that goes out in Hua Hin for a night on the town ?
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Pleng wrote:
uncle tom wrote: Similarly, why do tourists on holiday feel the urgent need to drink to the small hours, when they could just as easily start earlier in the evening...
And why do some retirees feel the need to bang the same old 'holier than thou' record out over and over again when his argument has been countered time and time again?

Amen brother, amen, not all of us have reached 65 yet.
shellyball
Amateur
Amateur

Post by shellyball »

Agreed! Somehow we ended up drinking at home till 1am don't know how that happened, thought great clicks open till 2 got an hr if dancing then it's off to cat bar till 4am to sweat out all the alcohol BUT low & behold click closed, shutters down, football finished so everything closed home by 2am and a stinking hangover the next day :(( the hilton the only place to party till the wee hours and got fleeced by the till girl there last time.....would rather little bars I can dance the night away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk