Hua Hin bars closing at midnight

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin bars closing at midnight

Post by bsdk1960 »

Bristolian wrote:Said before but worthy of another post....

If the bars mostly close at midnight it is for a number of reasons. Regulations normally dictate if and what should close when. However we are living or holidaying in Thailand where rules and regulations are broken every day and ignored by the authorities. I won't start to list examples as we all know that the list is endless.

If there was a demand and money could be made by staying open later, the bar owners would find a way of "pleasing" the authorities or at least encouraging them to look elsewhere.

For the very few establishments who are able to appropriate the necessary licences and or support the cost is very high and this is reflected in the cost of what we buy. This is economics 101.

For one, although I am a lover of nighttime venues, when the need arises, I am very happy that Hua Hin has at least reached a balance in this respect. Don't wish for something so different because, your wishes can come true. Hua Hin is a better family resort because of the tighter control. I believe that for 99% of the time Hua Hin residents and visitors would agree, for the 1% Pattaya, Bangkok and a few other destinations would maybe suit them better.
I don't believe in one minute that 99% of the time Hua Hin residents and visitors would agree, and
about 20 years ago before this city being over flooded with grumpy old men (many of them I think was here at that time) the bar could be open nearly 24/7 if they wan't.
Yes, I now thing change, but at the same time people say they move here from their home country
because there's to many rules etc. but maybe it's ok with rules as long as it don't affect them.
And I would like to hear if the bar owners that are happy with the midnight closure,will be happy
when the high season appears.
I'm 54 and out play pool on wednesday and sometimes one more day at the week,so please stop
this Pattaya,Bangkok or Phuket cr.b there should be room for everyone.
:rant: and have a nice day every one.

:cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm not into the bar scene these days so have no real interest in the specific issue of bars closing or remaining open after midnight, but as all of us know, HH isn't big enough to support too many bars opening until the small hours, but if there's sufficient demand then I don't see any problem in having some of the bars providing the service for those that want it - it won't turn HH into a Pattaya or Phuket (Patong area).
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Dannie Boy wrote:I'm not into the bar scene these days so have no real interest in the specific issue of bars closing or remaining open after midnight, but as all of us know, HH isn't big enough to support too many bars opening until the small hours, but if there's sufficient demand then I don't see any problem in having some of the bars providing the service for those that want it - it won't turn HH into a Pattaya or Phuket (Patong area).
:agree: and I don't wan't HH turn out the same way as Pattya or Phuket,but the few times I have been near the karaoke area I'm sure theres a demand for some late night bars,and as you mention if
there's a demand some will stay open,same as restaurant,coffee shops,supermarket's or any other
business.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But wasn't this discussed earlier in this thread, or a similar thread. I thought there was a special (expensive) licence available to all, but only a few have paid for it. So surely, if the bars wanted to stay open later, they simply buy that licence - or is it a case of bar owners wanting something for nothing? :run:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here it is:
jumusman wrote:I know allot of what we read on the forum is hearsay and opinion so I thought to myself, why not just ask the police why bars are being shut down at 12am. Better to get something straight from the horses mouth right ?

I went in around 5pm today and asked to speak to someone in charge, a couple of the officers did not really understand what I was asking and told me to wait 5 minutes for the translator, (A very attractive one at that)

She explained how it all worked, she said don't confuse the curfew with martial law which people are doing, they are two completely separate things. The curfew has been lifted yes, but the entire country is still under martial law and that martial law is dictating that bars are closed at midnight, NOT the curfew. The curfew had to do with people specifically not being able to leave their home between those hours for any reason, be it going to 7-11 or a bar or wherever.

She also noted that Martial Law was applying to only the "illegal" (for lack of a better word) bars. Meaning those that don't have a certain license. She gave me the example of the Hilton Hotel having the correct license therefore the bar attached to that Hotel is allowed to stay open till 2am. She did't mention any other Hotels but I am sure this applies to any bar with this specific kind of license.

So basically as long as Martial Law still applies the police will still be driving around at midnight asking everyone to close. She asked me if I was concerned because I was a bar owner but I told her I was not. She was extremely polite and courteous as was everyone in the station, I do have to commend their customer service skills and friendliness!

My friend who lives in Pattaya has informed me that all the bars there are open till 2am and don't close at 12 since the curfew was lifted, I find that interesting.

I have given my account of what happened today, none of it is derogatory at all, I just wanted to explain only the facts and not give a biased opinion in any way. I found this information very informative I hope it helps explain the situation a little more.

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:But wasn't this discussed earlier in this thread, or a similar thread. I thought there was a special (expensive) licence available to all, but only a few have paid for it. So surely, if the bars wanted to stay open later, they simply buy that licence - or is it a case of bar owners wanting something for nothing? :run:
You're right about everything,but I heard the licence is so expensive, there's the music licence and I'm sure the MIB will take their share to, so there is no money to be make.
Actually if you have a restaurant you should pay music licence to,and to me it's not only about the
closure time of the bars it's also how HH will turn out in the feature,but to me it seems that a lot of
the resident here want the city for them self and tourist can fuc. of to Pattaya or Phuket,at least that's the suggestion when people have a different point of view.
I'm not a resident but is married to thai lady and we have land,apartment and soon a house hopefully
and I have loved HH since the mid 90's so I'm not going anywhere I just have to cope with all the grumpy old men who like all the rules that is being been thrown at them.
The important thing here seem the walking distance from the car to imm.office and how long time people have to wait there to get a stamp every 3 month, and god help us if counter 4,(I think it is) is closed so they have to wait in line with unwanted like tourist,Cambodians or equals.
Just thinking how many thread there will be if some rules about the golf course could be open between 9 am to 15 pm.

And if we can't discussed it on a thread about "Hua Hin bars closing at midnight" then please tell me were we can, or simply locked it.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The way I see it (from a distance - I can't drink any more) is that if there are so many people being deprived of after 12 drinking, then surely, any bar owner taking up the challenge, and buying one of these licences is going to be well in profit. Maybe they could even hike prices a bit after 12 to cover this extra cost - people don't seem to mind Hilton prices. As they aren't doing it, it tells me they don't really want to open after 12.

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I stand down.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

bsdk1960 wrote: to me it seems that a lot of the resident here want the city for them self and tourist can fuc. of to Pattaya or Phuket,at least that's the suggestion when people have a different point of view.
You have quite an aggressive way of putting your point across, perhaps that's why you get that response.
I'm not a resident but is married to thai lady and we have land,apartment and soon a house hopefully and I have loved HH since the mid 90's so I'm not going anywhere I just have to cope with all the grumpy old men who like all the rules that is being been thrown at them. .
When you are a resident, you may have a different perspective on life in Hua Hin. Or not. In the meantime, the 'grumpy old men' insult that you fling around at everyone is getting very tired - particularly from someone who spends so much of his energy complaining and arguing.

The important thing here seem the walking distance from the car to imm.office and how long time people have to wait there to get a stamp every 3 month, and god help us if counter 4,(I think it is) is closed so they have to wait in line with unwanted like tourist, Cambodians or equals.
Just thinking how many thread there will be if some rules about the golf course could be open between 9 am to 15 pm.
The thing with threads is that people post about things that concern them. People have different priorities. Most of them do not appear to involve bar closing times.
And if we can't discussed it on a thread about "Hua Hin bars closing at midnight" then please tell me were we can, or simply locked it
Again, such attitude. We are discussing it, aren't we? Has anyone suggested you stop? Or are they simply disagreeing with you?

My own view is that this has been discussed so often that it goes round in never-ending circles.

It all seems perfectly simple to me.
Right now, bars have to close at midnight because of martial law.
When martial law is lifted, bars will be able to stay open until 2 a.m. if they wish (I presume).
Some people care.
Some don't.

Not really much to argue about, is there?
This is the way
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:The way I see it (from a distance - I can't drink any more) is that if there are so many people being deprived of after 12 drinking, then surely, any bar owner taking up the challenge, and buying one of these licences is going to be well in profit. Maybe they could even hike prices a bit after 12 to cover this extra cost - people don't seem to mind Hilton prices. As they aren't doing it, it tells me they don't really want to open after 12.
The trouble with Thailand is that if you do anything and start doing well, everybody around you is also going to want to dip into the pie. Then all of a sudden you have 10 or 20 bars all bankrupting themselves as there isn't enough customers to go around and your bright idea doesn't seem so great after all.

Anyway... the Hilton is open until 2 so there is *a* place you can go to after 12. If you're with a group of Thais then Hi-4 is also an option.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

dtaai-maai wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote: to me it seems that a lot of the resident here want the city for them self and tourist can fuc. of to Pattaya or Phuket,at least that's the suggestion when people have a different point of view.
You have quite an aggressive way of putting your point across, perhaps that's why you get that response.

Never been acussed to be aggressive maybe because I'm not put my word right since english is not my native launguise ,apologise for that
I'm not a resident but is married to thai lady and we have land,apartment and soon a house hopefully and I have loved HH since the mid 90's so I'm not going anywhere I just have to cope with all the grumpy old men who like all the rules that is being been thrown at them. .
When you are a resident, you may have a different perspective on life in Hua Hin. Or not. In the meantime, the 'grumpy old men' insult that you fling around at everyone is getting very tired - particularly from someone who spends so much of his energy complaining and arguing.

edit:I don't hope I get a different perspective on life in Hua Hin .Thought the 'grumpy old men' from another thread was mention as a joke,but apparently not for everyone, apologise for that too.

The important thing here seem the walking distance from the car to imm.office and how long time people have to wait there to get a stamp every 3 month, and god help us if counter 4,(I think it is) is closed so they have to wait in line with unwanted like tourist, Cambodians or equals.
The thing with threads is that people post about things that concern them. People have different priorities. Most of them do not appear to involve bar closing times.

So why post if it not concern them,theres alot of people ho don't feel the need to comment everything, but maybe humor is ok when it's such as "need a boring smilie" or maybe I don't understand english humor ?, apologise for that
And if we can't discussed it on a thread about "Hua Hin bars closing at midnight" then please tell me were we can, or simply locked it
Again, such attitude. We are discussing it, aren't we? Has anyone suggested you stop? Or are they simply disagreeing with you?

I have no problem at all with people disagree with me
I wrote BB comment that the issue have been dealt with before,so why we have to start again,and maybe I was wrong again, apologise for that too

My own view is that this has been discussed so often that it goes round in never-ending circles.

Apologise for say this :why don't you stop then ?

It all seems perfectly simple to me.
Right now, bars have to close at midnight because of martial law.
When martial law is lifted, bars will be able to stay open until 2 a.m. if they wish (I presume).
Some people care.
Some don't.

:agree: with you on that and I don't apologise for that :wink:

Not really much to argue about, is there?
Depends on your opinion I guess

edit : forgot :cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^ :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

dtaai-maai wrote:^^ :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

:laugh: :laugh: :cheers: :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

And from the "grumpy old men" crew: :butt: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

hhfarang wrote:And from the "grumpy old men" crew: :butt: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
you're welcome,and maybe one day I can become a crew member and I show you mine :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers: :cheers: