thai bars

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
taust
Novice
Novice

thai bars

Post by taust »

Anybody tried out the thai bars,i think there are some behind the driving range,also a nightclub there,are they friendly,cheers
telexs
Amateur
Amateur

Re: thai bars

Post by telexs »

Look @ Luk Nam Bar thread on this forum.Should be what your looking for.

Telexs
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Thai bars are not so good for Farangs. I tried many in the past and it's just not worth the hassles, very little if any English spoken, always looking to rip you off, girls are either there for Thai men or are pimped by Thai men.
Lots of other options, I suggest you try a few Thai bars being careful then go the Farang bars
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

The farang bars in Hua Hin are relatively safe and you very rarely see trouble. Any farangs that are new to Thailand need to be aware that a very high percentage of Thai men keep a gun in their cars and they are not scared to get them out when they are angry, drunk or on drugs. There are many shootings outside Thai bars that never make the news. You are definitely in more danger if you go to Thai bars.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

the post above makes it sound like the wild west ,its nowhere near that bad ,you will be telling everyone to be in bed by 9 o clock next ,where ever you are in the world if your a knob head and looking for trouble you will find it
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

So you disagree with my statement that a high percentage of thai men have guns in their cars? Thai men are volatile when they are drinking and to hang out with them is more dangerous than hanging out in farang bars. 21 years of living here and I have heard of many shootings but very rarely Thais shooting farangs.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Have a look at the thread for Luk Nam bar, there have been plenty of shootings there since I moved to HH, I like the music there but it is too wild
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

When I stayed in Samut Sakhon I stumbled about a really dodgy looking venue, and despite my wife's protests, I insisted on going in. The place was completely hidden from public view, and once in I stepped inside I discovered that it was virtually empty, but I got the impression that it was not always so deserted. I returned on the Friday night hell yeah, the best bar/nightclub I have ever been to. Due to certain activities openly taking place inside, no youngsters were allowed in. Never ever saw any other Farang there, and never even a hint of trouble, even when the doors were lock at closing time and the party continuing on to the early hours.

Often went to another much bigger venue as well, and admittedly, there were two shooting that I know of, but again, I personally never had any trouble.

As another poster has mentioned, if you don't look for trouble, you don't really have much to worry about.

Lastly, you'll find that 99.9999999% of Thai men DO NOT carry guns in their cars.

I have not been to Luk Nam yet, but I do intend going and will report back once I have been a few times.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Takiap, you are sure that basically all Thai men do not carry guns?? Well I am certain that you are wrong. The percentage is much higher in rural areas and it is probably around 50 percent. My point is that I always tell myself to never get into any conflict with Thai people because when they get angry they can do irrational things. If anyone really believes that hanging out in Thai bars is safe, then go ahead. I just want people to know the truth because many tourists or newcomers think that everything is safe and rosy in Thailand.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HoM, I would agree at least with the second part of your statement, but then again this is the same of anywhere in the world. If you want to have a few beers then going to unfamiliar places anywhere in the world is a risk. My recommendation is don't go to back street places, don't offend people and always let someone know just where you are going
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

My Thai friends, that own shops and carry the takings all carry guns, both male and female....I'm certain that % is wrong. I have been to these places a couple of times and it really wasn't that enjoyable unless you can speak good Thai. Luke Nam is relatively tame and very well run, a good night out and I like the food. Duck mouth anyone?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thailand — Gun Facts

Number of Privately Owned Firearms

The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Thailand is 10,000,0001

Compare
Rate of Civilian Firearm Possession per 100 Population
The estimated rate of private gun ownership (both licit and illicit) in Thailand is 15.61 firearms per 100 people

Compare
Number of Privately Owned Handguns
There are reportedly 3,700,0002 handguns in civilian possession in Thailand

Compare
Number of Privately Owned Firearms - World Ranking
In a comparison of the number of privately owned guns in 178 countries, Thailand ranked at No. 11

Compare
Number of Registered Firearms
The number of registered guns in Thailand is reported to be 6,200,0002 3

Compare
Rate of Registered Firearms per 100 Population
The rate of registered guns per 100 people in Thailand is 9.194

Not sure you're correct on this one Takiab
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:

Not sure you're correct on this one Takiab
Clearly not as the 99.9999999% comes out to I think one in a billion. Whatever the real % is is anybody's guess but a figure approaching 10% doesn't seem too far off the mark and in one of the local drinking houses, fuelled by drink and no doubt drugs, it's little surprise that there's the occasional gun fight between the locals. Seems fairly sensible to give these places a miss unless you really are a thrill seeker.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, may I got carried away with the .99999999 part of it, but what I was getting at is that I very much doubt that a LOT of Thais carry guns in their cars. Hell even the three policemen I know don't carry their guns in their cars when off duty.

Owning a gun in Thailand is one thing, carrying it around with you in a car is another matter altogether.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

NOKYAI wrote:My Thai friends, that own shops and carry the takings all carry guns, both male and female....I'm certain that % is wrong. I have been to these places a couple of times and it really wasn't that enjoyable unless you can speak good Thai. Luke Nam is relatively tame and very well run, a good night out and I like the food. Duck mouth anyone?

Quite strange that they carry guns, and I wonder if they do so legally. Having a license to own a gun in Thailand doesn't entitle you to carry it around with you.

Interestingly, I personally know 7 shop owners very well, and I can assure that none of them even own a gun other than one of them who happens to be a policeman. Saying that, I am only assuming he owns one because I've never seen him carrying one, even when he is in uniform.

Of course we do also know that it is relatively easy to get an illegal gun here.