Vicious Thai gangs at Songkran

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Vicious Thai gangs at Songkran

Post by centermid7 »

There was no trial on Monday. The victims gave testimony and have now left the country. There is no trial date scheduled and with the passing of time and the fading of the headlines the chance for any real justice, if indeed there ever was a chance, has grown dim.

Cheers
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

BUT!
When they return to the UK and feel SAFE, you will get further coverage. Lots of the reports also have a link to the other incidents in Thailand! This is peak holiday booking time in Europe and Thailand has definitely lost its shine. We will see another long low season and a poor high season!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

NOKYAI wrote:BUT!
This is peak holiday booking time in Europe and Thailand has definitely lost its shine. We will see another long low season and a poor high season!
And is that a bad thing if it does happen? For me it's not, hotel prices may come down, restaurants may be more available, possibly less traffic. If one is not in the tourist industry what dose it matter, not a jot.

Will it really make an impact, I personally do not think so. Just as the bomb in BKK some time back there was possibly a hiccup but that's all.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I sort of agree!
I feel sorry for friends who have businesses that depend on tourism from Ferangland, but I like the low season best. I like the expat community and the diversity it has. This is not always helped by the decreasing quality of the tourists we seem to be getting recently. The 'quality' tourists have moved on to pastures new, we are now gating an overflow from the more seedy parts of Thailand. This is nothing to do with the people that were savaged as they were lovely and I'd seen them here for many years.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I actually don't think that these incidents hurt the tourism industry at all. People will still book their holidays with the, 'It'll never happen to me', stance and, to be fair, it probably won't.

It's the expats who become enraged with these headlines; sick and tired of it occurring frequently, yet having absolutely no power to do anything about it. The tourists will keep on coming. The only ones who won't are those that are late teens planning a holiday and their parents won't let them anymore.

Thailand fully deserves to lose its tourist trade for a whole bucket of reasons. Unfortunately, for the next few years it won't. The other South East Asian countries are catching up though in regards to desirable holidays so ,fortunately, in a few years, the Thai tourism team will be able to suck on some large farang balls (if they take the time to venture to a neighbouring country, where said farang balls will be).
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Already happening. A family who are friends of mine have been planning an extended trip to Thailand for a year. This latest event in Hua Hin along with other bad press about Thailand in the last few months has made them rethink their plan. Now they and all their dollars (He's wealthy; in the tech industry) are going to Viet Nam instead.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

GLCQuantum wrote:I actually don't think that these incidents hurt the tourism industry at all.
Completely agree. The old adage "there's no such thing as bad publicity" rings true. People hear about a place and often forget the details of why but become curious to visit.

HHFarang's monied friend is a perfect example, considering what horrors took place in that part of the world for his countrymen not so long ago.
hhfarang wrote:Now they and all their dollars (He's wealthy; in the tech industry) are going to Viet Nam instead.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

J.J.B. wrote:HHFarang's monied friend is a perfect example, considering what horrors took place in that part of the world for his countrymen not so long ago.
hhfarang wrote:Now they and all their dollars (He's wealthy; in the tech industry) are going to Viet Nam instead.
Come on..... Vietnam was some while ago. In the same vein, should I not go to Germany?

GLC makes a fair point, BUT Thailand has certainly become less appealing to myself and the LHG in the last few years. We're looking further afield.... the issue being the LHG's bleeding Chinese passport!! :cuss: :cuss: :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It will not affect tourism even 1%, only panicky people like after the BKK bomb will cancel. For gods sake the UK is worse than here for vicious attacks. I come from Liverpool and for the last 20 years people will not go to the city centre at night due to the violence.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

pharvey wrote:
J.J.B. wrote:HHFarang's monied friend is a perfect example, considering what horrors took place in that part of the world for his countrymen not so long ago.
Come on..... Vietnam was some while ago. In the same vein, should I not go to Germany?
It depends on who you speak to, some still claim to feel its effects very acutely. Of course I'm making an extreme comparison to make a point, other than that I think we're in violent agreement!
:cheers:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

:roll:
GN.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Being here its hard to judge how energetic Malaysia, Cambodia and VN are being in promoting tourism in N america and Europe, tha t is a factor
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It seems the issue has one more person falling on his face. I am informed by my loved one that the HH police chief is getting the boot for the public relations mess he made of this and he is being replaced by a senior officer from Isaan who the missus knows.
Damn I have to watch what I say to her now.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Update on British family beaten up in Hua Hin. 4 Thai men have each been sentenced to 2 years in prison in Thailand.

I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And for those that don't twitter:

Hua Hin Brit attackers get two years in jail

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/1 ... rs-in-jail
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!