Bar "Old Germany"

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
perthozz
Novice
Novice

Bar "Old Germany"

Post by perthozz »

This is one of a number of restaurants and bars well situated on the old port sea-front. Although it looked rather dead, I went in once to enjoy a bottle of German "Weizenbier", which I did enjoy. I was served and conversed with by an ageing "girl" who was angling towards my hotel address and a "massage", and who got it into her head that I was a Brit. I told her I was not, but was treated to a boring monologue about how she had "worked" in Germany (but could not speak German) and how horrible the Brits were, which was intended to be offensive, either because as she had not understood that I was not one or because I was not interested in her services.
Meanwhile her colleagues came out of the kitchen and joined in her tirade about the Brits, equally oblivious to my statement that I came from Perth, W. Australia.

I finished my beer not wishing to return to this beautifully located morgue.
The funniest thing was that I happen to have antecedents from Germany and do speak the language quite well....but none of these "Germany fans" could speak a word of it. I told them that they were doing Germany no favours and left :D
stretch
Professional
Professional

Re: Bar "Old Germany"

Post by stretch »

The same two old bags who got fired from the english bar
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

perthozz wrote:I finished my beer not wishing to return to this beautifully located morgue.
That made me smile! Nice review / hatchet job. But it's been around a long time.
Talk is cheap
perthozz
Novice
Novice

Post by perthozz »

That would fit I suppose. I’d have put her at about 40. Old yes, but not a complete bag but with a lousy personality. She seemed to lead a little posse of Brit lynchers including the males from the kitchen. I couldn’t understand why the Brits would be singled out. Sure there were loads of them around HH behaving exactly as I did back in the day (80s) but they were fun and not dirtbags, showing humorous respect for the girls (the real ones)..

I visited HH over Christmas to meet up with an old Brit friend who had been working in BKK for 30+ years and had a condo in HH. It was my first visit since the 80s. I liked HH but hated the bars. Even in Pattaya, which was already a shithole in the 80s, there was a good selection of young girls which seemed absent in HH except in some massage parlours. I was shocked by the amount of katoeys in HH which were a rarity back then (Phuket, Pats ..anywhere) and wondered how there could be such a market for them. Some of the old HH hands told me the place had changed after the Phuket tsunami, that it was no longer the more sedate place that I was expecting as a retirement option. I don’t live there.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

First two posts and criticizing a venue. Just wondering, why. I have never heard any complaints about the place, quite the opposite. Did you try the food, it's always been great imho?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Amazing Pork chops at Old Germany!