Non-alcohol days - are you able to get your fix?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Non-alcohol days - are you able to get your fix?

Post by Big Boy »

As a virtual non-drinker, I can see the amusing side of the current alcohol restriction, although I wouldn't have been so amused a few years back.

I've just had an e-mail from friends in Bangkok advising they've not been able to get their fix outside of their expensive hotel mini-bar.

I'm wondering what the situation is locally. Are you able to get your fix? Maybe having to suffer the indignity of drinking from coffee cups. I'm not asking anybody to drop their watering hole in it by naming them, but maybe you could indicate that you've found a supply, and will advise via PM.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Eiahhh

Re: Are you able to get your fix?

Post by Eiahhh »

What alcohol restriction??? :shock: :shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Today - Asalha Puja Day
Tomorrow - Buddhist Lent Day (Wan Khao Phansa)
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My local restaurant has no problem. "If anyone asks, you brought your own drinks!" Not illegal to bring your own supply to your local watering hole!!!!
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I drink at home and have a good supply of fine beers from WishBeer, Hand Me A Beer and Purr Beer.

When I first moved here to Korat, about eleven years ago, there were several nearby bars where I'd enjoy a happy hour brew, no matter what the holiday. All those have closed now and there are none to replace them. I haven't been to a watering hole in Korat in at least five or six years.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

When will the Thais realise how bad Buddha days and election days are for tourism? It's not as though tourism is a minor activity in The Kingdom - it's a big factor in the country's economic makeup.

On election days there should be a simple rule - anyone who can't vote can buy a drink - and easy enough to work out who's who..

Buddha days are a real downer for people on a short holiday, and a big deterrent to them coming back to the LoS, but respect for the national religion is important; so why not ban amplified music on Buddha days instead of closing bars? - the opportunity for tranquil conversation over a cold beer would be wonderful..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
buksida

Re: Non-alcohol days - are you able to get your fix?

Post by buksida »

No problems outside of the heavily policed tourist towns.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

uncle tom wrote:It's not as though tourism is a minor activity in The Kingdom - it's a big factor in the country's economic makeup.
:lach:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I'm not sure that the number one tourist group in numbers and welcoming attitude, the Chinese, drink in the bars and restaurants. Like the Indians, buy booze in 7/11s and drink it in their rooms.
butteryflavory
Novice
Novice

Post by butteryflavory »

Does anyone know if any bars will be open tonight? Maybe after midnight?
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

butteryflavory wrote:Does anyone know if any bars will be open tonight? Maybe after midnight?
legal after midnight.
I have seen some bars open after midinght after holidays but I don't know which ones.
maybe in binabaht.

post number one. :D Welcome to the forum.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

My wife ordered a glass of red wine last night, at a nice restaurant on Soi 94. The waitress advised us about not able to sell alcohol on the holiday, then quietly offered to bring it in a water glass if that was ok. It was and the water glass arrived filled almost to the brim, over Twice the amount of wine one normally gets in a wineglass. We joked that from now on she needs to pretend she doesn't want anyone to know she's drinking and request it in a water glass :)

Earlier yesterday I stopped to buy a coke at a small private convenience store near the beach. Normally the expats sit out front sipping beer. There was a large cardboard sign out front saying no alcohol sales for 2 days and another one stating no sitting out front and drinking for 2 days. As I bought my coke one of the regular expats came in, asked about getting a beer. The shopkeeper told him to go ahead, grab a beer from the cooler and go in the back room to drink it :)