Which month has the best full moon party?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Which month has the best full moon party?

Post by HarleBen »

I along with my few other friends are planning to go to Thailand, Bangkok early September. I have heard the best full moon party is always in September. Is it true? if yes, then why? Shouldn't all full moon parties be same?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Which month has the best full moon party?

Post by Khundon1975 »

The best Full Moon party in Thailand is the one you live through and survive to tell the tale.
This applies to any month of the year IMHO.
:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HarleBen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm I along with my few other friends are planning to go to Thailand, Bangkok early September. I have heard the best full moon party is always in September. Is it true? if yes, then why? Shouldn't all full moon parties be same?
Sounds a bit like a wind-up, but I'll treat it as a serious question.

To answer with any authority, one would have to have been to a full moon party at least once in every month, and I don't know anyone daft enough to have done so. I can't see any reason why September should be any different from other months.

The best known parties are on Koh Pha Ngan, which is a very long way from Bangkok.
along with my few other friends
:mrgreen:
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I haven't been to any of the full moon parties for about the last five or six years now, but prior to that, I went on numerous occasions. I'm not sure if any I attended were in the month of September, but in my opinion, they are pretty much the same regardless of when you go.

If you've never been to one in the past, I'm sure you and your mates will enjoy the experience, but don't expect too much. Contrary to what you may have read or been told, the full moon parties are as wild and crazy as might think they are. Yes, lots of people, lots of drinking, and lot's of very loud music, but still, nothing too crazy. They have been toned down a lot over the year. These days, the full moon parties are just big outdoor "piss ups."

Still, if you've never been to one before then you'll probably have a blast unless the government has totally ruined them but forcing early closing and etc.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:25 pm
HarleBen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm I along with my few other friends are planning to go to Thailand, Bangkok early September. I have heard the best full moon party is always in September. Is it true? if yes, then why? Shouldn't all full moon parties be same?
Sounds a bit like a wind-up, but I'll treat it as a serious question.

To answer with any authority, one would have to have been to a full moon party at least once in every month, and I don't know anyone daft enough to have done so. I can't see any reason why September should be any different from other months.

The best known parties are on Koh Pha Ngan, which is a very long way from Bangkok.
along with my few other friends
:mrgreen:

Yeah I heard that, that's why I wrote it here. May be because of most of the people fly in, in September that's what I heard. I'll check it out this September myself :D

Thanks for taking out time and writing for me. :)
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

Takiap wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 am I haven't been to any of the full moon parties for about the last five or six years now, but prior to that, I went on numerous occasions. I'm not sure if any I attended were in the month of September, but in my opinion, they are pretty much the same regardless of when you go.

If you've never been to one in the past, I'm sure you and your mates will enjoy the experience, but don't expect too much. Contrary to what you may have read or been told, the full moon parties are as wild and crazy as might think they are. Yes, lots of people, lots of drinking, and lot's of very loud music, but still, nothing too crazy. They have been toned down a lot over the year. These days, the full moon parties are just big outdoor "piss ups."

Still, if you've never been to one before then you'll probably have a blast unless the government has totally ruined them but forcing early closing and etc.

Yeah guess I'll just find it out in coming week :D

Thanks for the information. I did hear mix reviews about the party. let's see
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

If uv never done the full moon party, it's definitely some thing to tick off your bucket list.. IMO the best time to go is in high season, October, November, December, January.....
Last time I went, I stayed on Koh Samui, got the speed boat over, had a blast, than headed back to a nice quiet room 5555

A recommendation from me would be:- find out when the full moon party is, head to Koh Samui 3 days before, party in chaweng beach, ride round the island, see the sites, then the day of the full moon, jump on a boat to Koh phangan, find some digs and get bang on it... When ya done.. Ya feeling rough, still full of body paint... Get ya self on a boat to Koh Tao, get ya padi open water course done, diving... It will definitely be a week to remember, if ya can remember it 5555

Things to note:- if you coming from bkk, get the sleeper train, it's fun n it's cheap... If that's not ya thing, u can always fly....
Rooms, boats and trains... personal I wouldn't book in advance, u might be lucky getting some nice cheap digs, but lets be honest we not going for the rooms are we... U just need some where to put your bags....

Koh Tao:- IMO it's got good diving!! But I wouldn't spend more time than I had to there....

When ya done, ya feel like death, uv lost a few quid, it's only a 5 hour bus n boat to hua hin... Where u can relax and recharge.... Hope this helps guys...
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Make sure to read up and be aware of all the dangers/scams etc of going to the full moon party. It's a fun time but not without risk.

Last time I went I wore a small pouch under my shirt which had all my 1000bt notes, and kept the change from my last broken note in my pocket. That way if I was to be pick-pocketed then the most I'd be likely to lose would be 750ish baht (assuming I was breaking each not to purchase a bucket of goodies at the cost of 250bt). Not that I'd ever been pick-pocketed before, but best be safe than sorry.

As it happens I was pick-pocketed and lost about 500bt. Could have been a lot more!
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

Good point pleng.... My advise for that would be only take out what your are willing to spend, and you willing to lose...
5555 old flip flops, a pair of shorts n ya cash that your willing to blow... Room key, leave at hotel front disk, phones n other stuff like that for pics of the night... That will be up 2 u...
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Yea I kept my phone in the under-shit pouch too. It's all well to say "only take what you're willing to loose", but if you end up loosing it in the first hour then that's your party over before it's even started, so even if you're prepared to lose it, it still makes sense to protect it too! :)

I think I took 4 thousand with me, came back with about 2. Could have ended up loosing the lot and having to call it a night early (although the state I was in when I got pick-pocketed, calling it a night at that point may have been a good idea! :D)
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

See pleng, this is where me n u are different... I'd of per drank before I went, n there would be beers waiting for me back at the digs.. So there should be no excuse for cutting the night short 55555 n I'm sure ur pals will hook u up till u get back to the digs....

But of course I see ya point, to me waking up after a heavy night, finding money in ya pocket is all ways a bonus, go get a greasy breakfast and a oil massage...perfect....

One thing tho.... Try n keep away from idiots doing any sort of drugs... Or them idiots who try n fight every one.... Just walk away....
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Pleng wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 pm Yea I kept my phone in the under-shit pouch too. good idea! :D)
Well no ones going to touch it there........................... :thumb: :laugh: :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Pagey wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 am
Pleng wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 pm Yea I kept my phone in the under-shit pouch too. good idea! :D)
Well no ones going to touch it there........................... :thumb: :laugh: :cheers:
Ouch... pretty awful typo, right there!
--AndY wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 pm See pleng, this is where me n u are different... I'd of per drank before I went, n there would be beers waiting for me back at the digs.. So there should be no excuse for cutting the night short 55555 n I'm sure ur pals will hook u up till u get back to the digs....
Yea, 10 years ago I'd have probably had a few beers before leaving; though I'm not sure how that changed the situation. As for beers waiting for me back at the digs.... I'd be pretty disappointed if I'd had to leave the full moon party because I'd lost all my money and end up drinking in my hotel room.

As for pals hooking me up. Well the first time I went I was on my own, so no chance there. The next couple of times I was just with my girlfriend and I was generally in charge of looking aftet the money. The last time I went I went with my girlfriend and one other pal, but I also like to account for the fact that there's a very good possibility of getting separated at some point in the night.