Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm in Korat at the moment and a couple of months or so ago, a new bar opened, called 'Tiger is Coming'. Just on the corner of one of the junctions in downtown Korat. They stock 300 beers from all over the World - Europe, Thailand and Asia (including Thai beers I have never heard of), the Americas, Oz and NZ.

They have 'muted' relaxed live music, what looks good food (but no menu in English it seems) and is just a very pleasant place to sit and relax. Now okay, prices aren't cheap, but at about 8pm on a Monday evening, it was more full than empty and by all accounts it's doing very well. There was a smattering of farangs when I was there.

I wonder if someone would be brave enough to try and break the mould of bars in Hua Hin and try something like this?

https://www.facebook.com/tigeriscomingbeerandeatery89/
Talk is cheap
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by kendo »

Caller it may not be cheap but when your up in Issan a few cold ones with other farang breaks the isolation of village life. My nearest bar that opens every day is 20 kilos away. So in my book I would love a bar like this in Prasad.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yeah, that's a good bar Caller. However, the bar scene in Korat has seen a few closures recently and they pop-up and disappear regular style. For example, I think the old Walrus bar has now turned into a middle-eastern take away/restaurant now.

Also, the locals will not tolerate any girl bars like can be found elsewhere in Thailand as it is a conservative area really...but the locals also like this type of bar/restaurant you mention too.

Good luck to them...the place needs a decent bar or two these days as G&D etc. is a bit tired. Pattini's near the big uni is also good for food and a beer.

Also, the selection of imported beers in the malls has got much better since Terminal 21 turned up....The Mall has it's act together now too and can even buy JD's HH company's stuff there now, as I'm sure you are aware.

In answer to your thread title question, then I'm guessing it would take a serious restauranteur/hospitality pro with a serious bundle of cash to pull that off in central HH...wouldn't be cheap to do in a place that was viable to make cash.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

caller wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:41 am I'm in Korat at the moment and a couple of months or so ago, a new bar opened, called 'Tiger is Coming'. Just on the corner of one of the junctions in downtown Korat. They stock 300 beers from all over the World - Europe, Thailand and Asia (including Thai beers I have never heard of), the Americas, Oz and NZ.

They have 'muted' relaxed live music, what looks good food (but no menu in English it seems) and is just a very pleasant place to sit and relax. Now okay, prices aren't cheap, but at about 8pm on a Monday evening, it was more full than empty and by all accounts it's doing very well. There was a smattering of farangs when I was there.

I wonder if someone would be brave enough to try and break the mould of bars in Hua Hin and try something like this?

https://www.facebook.com/tigeriscomingbeerandeatery89/
They don't quite stretch to 300 varieties but La Bierra in Khao Takiap (opposite Circada market) sounds pretty much the same as what you're describing, unless I've missed something?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pleng wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 pmThey don't quite stretch to 300 varieties but La Bierra in Khao Takiap (opposite Circada market) sounds pretty much the same as what you're describing, unless I've missed something?
That's good news then, apart from the fact I've never heard of it! I will wander along and check it out at some stage. Thanks for the info.
Talk is cheap
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Spitfire wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm Yeah, that's a good bar Caller. However, the bar scene in Korat has seen a few closures recently and they pop-up and disappear regular style. For example, I think the old Walrus bar has now turned into a middle-eastern take away/restaurant now.

Also, the locals will not tolerate any girl bars like can be found elsewhere in Thailand as it is a conservative area really...but the locals also like this type of bar/restaurant you mention too.

Good luck to them...the place needs a decent bar or two these days as G&D etc. is a bit tired. Pattini's near the big uni is also good for food and a beer.

Also, the selection of imported beers in the malls has got much better since Terminal 21 turned up....The Mall has it's act together now too and can even buy JD's HH company's stuff there now, as I'm sure you are aware.

In answer to your thread title question, then I'm guessing it would take a serious restauranteur/hospitality pro with a serious bundle of cash to pull that off in central HH...wouldn't be cheap to do in a place that was viable to make cash.
The area that I live in(Nakhon Sawan Province) is also very conservative and there aren't any 'girl bars' anywhere near where I live, almost all of rural Thailand is like that and very conservative. The girls that work in bars or massage shops all go to Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui etc. to try and hit the jackpot with some rich foreigner. :laugh:
Thailand is just a poor country and it's kinda sad.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Name Taken wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:49 am
Spitfire wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm Yeah, that's a good bar Caller. However, the bar scene in Korat has seen a few closures recently and they pop-up and disappear regular style. For example, I think the old Walrus bar has now turned into a middle-eastern take away/restaurant now.

The area that I live in(Nakhon Sawan Province) is also very conservative and there aren't any 'girl bars' anywhere near where I live, almost all of rural Thailand is like that and very conservative. The girls that work in bars or massage shops all go to Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui etc. to try and hit the jackpot with some rich foreigner. :laugh:
If you know Thailand, in every respectable town there are some brothels or karaoke or those places called sing a song where ladies and men are singing thai songs all over the night. Those places are for thai people, but if you can speak a little thai you can easily find a girl for having nice time.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

europtimiste wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:59 pm

If you know Thailand, in every respectable town there are some brothels or karaoke or those places called sing a song where ladies and men are singing thai songs all over the night. Those places are for thai people, but if you can speak a little thai you can easily find a girl for having nice time.
That's true, but they won't tolerate a foreigner for very long even if the foreigner speaks a little Thai. Those types of places are for Thai people only.
Anyways, :offtopic:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Name Taken wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:28 pm
europtimiste wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:59 pm

That's true, but they won't tolerate a foreigner for very long even if the foreigner speaks a little Thai. Those types of places are for Thai people only.

What do you mean by very long ? Daily visit ? Better go with a thai friend.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

^ ^ ^ ^
You two need to learn how to use the 'reply with quote' option correctly :mrgreen: :laugh:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

In reply to europtimiste
I mean don't try and become a 'regular' because one day you will go to your favorite Thai brothel/karaoke bar and they will just tell you to LEAVE. This isn't even taking into account that most of these places are deserted and they are also very far apart and spread out so you will be putting some serious miles/kilometers on your vehicle going to these places.
There is absolutely no desire by the Thai Government and by Thai people to integrate foreigners into Thai society.

"Better go with a Thai friend" You mean having a minder like a foreigner has to have in North Korea? :laugh:
Last edited by Name Taken on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

redzonerocker wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 pm ^ ^ ^ ^
You two need to learn how to use the 'reply with quote' option correctly :mrgreen: :laugh:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I dont think any of us think that we can be integrated into Thai society. I cannot think of one Asian country where that is possible, not even S'pore the most 'western' country. Its not even 'Separate but Equal" that we would like and expect. Its just the ability to be in the same place at the same time and to be treated with courtesy.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 am I cannot think of one Asian country where that is possible, not even S'pore the most 'western' country. Its not even 'Separate but Equal" that we would like and expect. Its just the ability to be in the same place at the same time and to be treated with courtesy.
:agree:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

you can go to any western country and not be "treated with courtesy." try a café in the French countryside, north Germany, the U.S. south, midwest or nearly any small town. Foreigners are neither wanted nor welcome, or in the U.S. south, if you're not from there you're a foreigner.