Live music

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
dahobbit

Live music

Post by dahobbit »

Thought it'd be an idea to trade notes about places to hear decent live music, and who's playing there. Here's a couple of my hits:

Saxophone Bar: Cover band but they can play, with one very good female singer (Miaow) each night and alternating a couple others. Band starts at 11:30, goes to 2.

Dusit Resort: Piano trio. Plays some pretty good jazz.

Sofitel: Solo piano in the lobby in the early evening. On the weekend, it's Dominiqu Boudin who plays original compositions that sound lke classical music. It's interesting. Last high season, they had a killer band from Cuba. We'll have to wait and see who they get next season.

Rockestra: If you don't already know, it's our local "house of rock". Good house band with rotating cast of singers. The owner is an aging Thai symphonic rocker who does sets on the weekend. Packs the Thais' in then, too.

Oyster Bar: along the shore. Going through some changes for the accompaniment, but Miaow sings there upstairs in the evening. She's good. A good place to eat, with nice art gallery adjoining. The owner seems to care about music, so keep an eye on who they bring in.

Montri Restaurant. 3-piece band, joined by Miaow after she finishes at Oyster Bar. With the backup, here show gets a bit more energetic.

Sanuwat Cafe: near the mini-bus station. Hit or miss, but Chai, the owner is a pretty good guitarist. The format is sort of "karaoke for instruments", with a computer playing the tunes while Chai or someone else riffs and sings on top of it. A very Thai scene.

That's some of the places I've found. Seems like you need a flashlight to find out where things are happening musically. Appreciate anything that anyone can add. Maybe we could get an ongoing listing page happening.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Some good info there. I've always like Smorlean behind Sao Paolo Hosptial, six or seven member band that does mostly Thai rock tunes.

If you can keep me updated on musical events and venues I can add a page to the website.
dahobbit

Post by dahobbit »

Lev wrote:Some good info there. I've always like Smorlean behind Sao Paolo Hosptial, six or seven member band that does mostly Thai rock tunes.

If you can keep me updated on musical events and venues I can add a page to the website.
Thanks, I'll check out Smorlean.

I think a page of music listings is an excellent idea. I've felt the lack of a place to find out concretely who's playing where.

btw, another fun thing is Friday nights at the 'Queen's Garden' public park on the beach down the road from the Majestic Restort (Soi 19, behind the Wat). The band is usually a 5-piece doing Thai and Western covers, but occasionally it's varied with other bands, singers, etc. Tons of Thai go there in groups and as families, with their kids and dogs, and it is a very laid-back cheerful affair, with cheap beer and food.
dahobbit

Blue Station

Post by dahobbit »

Went to the Blue Station for the first time last night and had a great time. The band plays Thai Country-style (which sounds more like rock to me), no Western covers. The band is really good, with an excellent guitarist. As the night goes on, guest jammers join in. I played two numbers on my Melodian and got a great response. Also notable that the place was paicked, although it was Monday night. If you can enjoy Thai music (and usually I don't, but this was good) and you're not afraid to be the only farang inthe place, this is a really good time.