Long time since my last visit

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
CliveNixon
Amateur
Amateur

Long time since my last visit

Post by CliveNixon »

It has been 8 years since I was last in Hua Hin (Summer 1996) to my lasting regret, and despite always planning on returning, if only for a few days, I always seem to have been waylaid by attractions elswhere in Thailand (Mainly Pattaya and Phuket!!) and simply have never found the time much to my shame.

I was chatting to an old Thailand aquaintance here in London recently and the topic swiched to places we'd not been to for a while and Hua Hincropped up! It was then I realised how much I'd enjoyed my time there all those years ago. As I'm feeling a bit fed up with all of the same faces and places in Pattaya and Phuket, Hua Hin seemed to offer an attractive alternative.

Because of this I've booked my first three weeks of my next trip (commencing in September) in Hua Hin. Subsequent research has shown me that much has changed since I was last there, namely there seems to be a whole heap of new bars and drinking areas now than there was then, when it was only Soi Bintabaht.

I have fond memories of two places and people which has only added to my shame of missing out on Hua Hin all this time.

Judging from the maps here it seems that both places have now gone and it would be good to hear if the owners (or managers) are still around in Hua Hin.

The places were Universal Joynt run by Phil and the Joy Guesthouse run by Billy (Wilson?) at the bottom and the top end of Soi Bintabaht respectivly.

Can anyone shed any light as to what happened to these places and the guys that ran them?
buksida

Post by buksida »

CN, welcome to the board.
Both guys are still around and both runs self named bars now!
As far as I know UJ bar is still there and called something else, Phil runs 'Philips bar' just along from the Sofitel (although is away at work a lot of the time).

Billy runs 'Billys bar' in the Bazaar area and is there all of the time! Never new Joy guesthouse or whats in its place now ... probably a 7-11 :roll:
CliveNixon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by CliveNixon »

Thank you Buksida,
Nice to know that even though some of the places have changed, there will be some familiar faces around.

Incidentally, the Joy bar was at the extreme Wat end of Bintabaht on the right hand side as you face the Wat. It was a GH as well as a bar and an excellent hassle free place to meet local expats as well as have sundowners while the world walked past. It was also good for drinking til dawn if none of the local ladies were appealing, but I suspect that in these days of forced closing, as well of the fact that I'm approaching 40, all nighters should be a thing of the past but I always seem to fit in at least one per visit to Thailand!

Judging from my research already it appears that Hua Hin has retained its laid back feel and the focus is still on meeting folks instead of just ogling the ladies. The only problem is going to be finding the bars to my liking as there now seems to be so many there! Oh well! What a nice chore thats going to be for the first 3 weeks! :cheers: