No original music bands anymore

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: No original music bands anymore

Post by Gregjam »

There is new original music, the problem is that it is hard to find it among all the dross out there and people do not want to pay for it. So easy just to download the stuff you know and trust. I go to Oz regularly and when there buy a CD perhaps to relieve the guilt feeling due to downloading so much stuff. The shop usually have a buy two, get one free and I select two I know I like and ask the assistant to pick something for me offering a few guidelines on what genres I like. This is how I was introduced to the Black Keys and have since bought another of their CDs. Not always successful but for the price of a few beers it gets you something different to listen to and maybe you will find the next U2 or Nickelback.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Talking about music, I want to mention the House - band at Huntsman Pub in the cellar of Hotel Landmark in Bangkok.
I have frequented this pub since I was introduced to it in the 90ies primarily because of the band. To my knowledge they do not play own stuff and has no records out but they are above average good and they have knack for choosing a good collection of songs.

The last time I heard them they had two female singers who did a terrific job. Maybe it belongs to the story that the core of the band is 3 brothers and they are from the Philipines. THe female singers are philipina also :violin:

I am proud to say that they recognize me by now and call me their Friend from Norway.
On top of that I never enquired about their band name :roll:
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It started with all the "manufactured" boy bands in the late 80's and 90's... no, actually it started with The Monkeys which was a manufactured band made for TV, but they did a couple of decent songs. What happened to the great song writers... there are an ample number of good voices out there but a lack of talented song writers in the last couple of decades.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:It started with all the "manufactured" boy bands in the late 80's and 90's... no, actually it started with The Monkeys which was a manufactured band made for TV, but they did a couple of decent songs. What happened to the great song writers... there are an ample number of good voices out there but a lack of talented song writers in the last couple of decades.
'Very true what you say, both about The Monkeys as the 1st manufactured boy band and about the lack of tallented Song writers. Were is Brian Wilson when you need him?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.