TOP GEAR

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: TOP GEAR

Post by caller »

Chris Evans is marmite - you either do or you don't like him and I don't. This will be a massive fail by the beeb. Good.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote:Chris Evans is marmite - you either do or you don't like him and I don't.
With you on both counts there*. He's lightweight, irritating and cocky and not half as funny as he thinks he is. (Hang on - sounds a bit like Clarkson!)
I'll give it a go out of curiosity, but I'll expect to be disappointed.

(*Mrs D-M went shopping the other day and I asked her to get some Bovril. When she came back with Marmite I did everything but throw myself to the ground in a temper tantrum. Instead I just sulked for an hour.)
This is the way
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I would also wager that one of his sidekicks will be a female/black/gay, or all three!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Evans is quoted as saying that if you have a show that has a 50:50 love him:hate him split, it's usually a sure-fire hit. Love him or loathe him he has built a very large, very successful and very profitable media business from nothing and that has to count for something.

I don't see the relevance of arcadianagain's post above other than pointing out the BBC will over-compensate with their usual PC verve. Then again, Evans is no saint so let's see. More to the point, who do you think it should be? Hammond and May were total unknowns but Top Gear made them celebrities (note I don't use the term 'famous') so I think Auntie will want that celeb or well-know option from the start to maintain brand continuity for the franchise and Worldwide sales.

I'm going for David Coulthard and that German woman, Sabine Schmitz, who thrashed Clarkson's Jag XF time round the Nürburgring in a Ford Transit!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well, Evan's has been quoted as saying he will be joined by a female host when he takes over Top Gear - Jodie Kidd is apparently the bookmakers favourite.

Wouldn't be a bad choice at all IMHO.. :thumb:

[EDIT] Guy Martin would also make an interesting choice as the third member of the team!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote:^ Well, Evan's has been quoted as saying he will be joined by a female host when he takes over Top Gear - Jodie Kidd is apparently the bookmakers favourite.

Wouldn't be a bad choice at all IMHO.. :thumb:

[EDIT] Guy Martin would also make an interesting choice as the third member of the team!

Two other names who are supposedly in the running are Suzi Perry and Phil Glenister - maybe Jodie Kidd is a more likely choice than Suzi Perry, but I like Glenister and he's definitely a car fanatic.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote:Two other names who are supposedly in the running are Suzi Perry and Phil Glenister - maybe Jodie Kidd is a more likely choice than Suzi Perry, but I like Glenister and he's definitely a car fanatic.
Yes, good point re: Phil Glenister - he had been mentioned as the possible "lead host". Have to admit I like the guy also and as you say, he's certainly a petrol head.

arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

[quote="J.J.B.

I don't see the relevance of arcadianagain's post above other than pointing out the BBC will over-compensate with their usual PC verve.

The PC of the BBC was my point JJB
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

IT COULD BE YOU!!! :thumb:

Chris Evans: 'You could join Top Gear team'

New Top Gear host Chris Evans announces he will audition members of the public to join the team.

He told viewers on BBC1's One Show on Wednesday: "Male, female, old, young, it doesn't matter. The one thing that does matter if you've got to have a real appetite for cars, and you've got to know something about cars.
"You can be a mechanic, you can be an amateur racing car driver, you can be a guy who’s a fireman but who’s been building his own Land Rover in his garage, but you’ve got to know about cars, to some extent.”
He said he would be making the main announcement about it on his radio show today.

Full Report: - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/116 ... ublic.html

Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

^^ ^^
But failed Welsh rocket scientists are excluded......... :tsk:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ DAMN!! :banghead:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just watched the last episode of TG, an amalgamation of two of the last three shows that were axed. IMO, if you haven't watched it yet and unless your a complete diehard, I wouldn't waste 75 minutes of your time, definitely the worst TG programme I can remember watching
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

:agree: 100% - absolute cr@p. Gave up after 20 odd minutes......
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Gutted. Can't stand Chris Evans!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

margaretcarnes wrote:Gutted. Can't stand Chris Evans!
Well, at least you can take consolation in the fact that the "Three Amigos" are planning a show in direct competition on ITV...