The passing of Leonard Cohen. RIP

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

The passing of Leonard Cohen. RIP

Post by Bluesky »

A great and talented artist in his own right.

Leonard Cohen obituary
Canadian singer, songwriter, novelist and poet revered for works including the song Hallelujah
• Leonard Cohen dead at 82:

It is a remarkable testament to the scope of popular music that Leonard Cohen could ever have been filed under the headings of rock or pop. A poet and novelist as well as a songwriter, Cohen, who has died aged 82, was as much a literary figure as a musical one.

Early in his career, his novel Beautiful Losers (1966) caused the Boston Globe to declare that “James Joyce is not dead. He is living in Montreal under the name of Cohen.” Yet Cohen was determined to establish himself as a songwriter, having been smitten as profoundly as any of his contemporaries by the emergence of rock’n’roll music. “I always loved rock,” he said. “I remember the first time I heard Presley, how relieved and grateful I was that all this stuff he and all of us had been feeling for so long had finally found a particular kind of expression.”

His debut album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, was released in December 1967, and while not everybody loved its funereal tone, the songs it contained, such as Suzanne, So Long, Marianne and Sisters of Mercy, would prove to be cornerstones of his repertoire for the rest of his long musical career.

In his later years he became a Zen monk and spent much of the 1990s sequestered in a monastery on Mount Baldy in California, where he was known as Jikan (the Silent One). Fans often seek spiritual guidance from their idols, but Cohen was a rare example of one who might actually have been capable of providing it.

Live Leonard Cohen dead at 82: tributes paid to legendary singer-songwriter – latest
Leonard Cohen has died aged 82. Here we round up tributes and reaction as they flood in for Canada’s cultural icon.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q [/youtube]

As the article is quite long link attached.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... n-obituary
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-