BBC iPlayer via VPN

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Post Reply
User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am

Using my usual paid-for VPN program I can connect my computer to BBC iPlayer today and log in but iPlayer won't play TV programmes as it now sees that I'm outside the UK. I didn't use it for a while so I'm not sure how long it's been a problem. The computer program I use for downloading BBC content to my PC (to watch at a later date) also won't download TV programmes now for the same reason.

To test, I've downloaded a free VPN (with a data cap) and it connects and plays iPlayer programmes and the other program downloads.

I've a feeling BBC have blocked the VPN my pay service uses, anyone else have any issues? I'll drop them (not the BBC :D) a line if no-one else has problems.

(no holier-than-thou comments about piracy please, not interested as far as UK TV content is concerned :naughty: ).

RCer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 797
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by RCer » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

I've considered going the VPN route but have not because of my background in Telecom. These sites and streaming sites come and go like we change our socks (outside of Thailand where we don't wear socks, lol).

Meanwhile the paying subscriber gets stuck in the middle. Money paid out, short lived access, and then they have to track down a new provider.

I tend to get 1 month out of my free streaming services then I have to search for a new one because the old links are broken.

User avatar
Pagey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by Pagey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 am

I've watched BBC iplayer via a free VPN for a long time until about a month ago when it started to display an error message, this content not available or similar.

I mentioned to my friend in Chiang Mai and he tried his and he still gets it but he uses a paid one , HotspotVPN.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am

RCer wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am
I've considered going the VPN route but have not because of my background in Telecom. These sites and streaming sites come and go like we change our socks (outside of Thailand where we don't wear socks, lol).

Meanwhile the paying subscriber gets stuck in the middle. Money paid out, short lived access, and then they have to track down a new provider.

I tend to get 1 month out of my free streaming services then I have to search for a new one because the old links are broken.
Yes I think a reliable VPN service is worth the cost. One with multiple servers in many countries. The one I use is promptly responsive to emails and I've used them since at least 2007 so they're stable.

On the Android 'set top box' alternative there's a full UK TV streaming service that a friend in UAE has been using for at least a couple of years, seems good, runs out of Cyprus. They load the box and ship it fairly cheaply, with updates online I think. Not sure how Thai customs will be on that though, maybe better to get someone to bring it in in their luggage. :D

I'm using a full UK TV one that I installed on my box and set up myself a few days ago (fed up with the Kodi crap), 1000 Baht a month, working well but early days.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:31 am

Pagey wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 am
I've watched BBC iplayer via a free VPN for a long time until about a month ago when it started to display an error message, this content not available or similar.

I mentioned to my friend in Chiang Mai and he tried his and he still gets it but he uses a paid one , HotspotVPN.
Thanks, seems definitely like BBC have cottoned on to the IP addresses my guys are using at the moment, a good service should change them regularly.

User avatar
Pagey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by Pagey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:38 am

Hdprime has all the UK TV programmes plus sport etc for around 380 baht per month.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by StevePIraq » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

If you set your VPN location as UK you can watch iPlayer with no problem.

Actually I have just played with mine and it does not seem to matter which VPN location is selected it works every time
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am
If you set your VPN location as UK you can watch iPlayer with no problem.

Actually I have just played with mine and it does not seem to matter which VPN location is selected it works every time
That's what I have done for years, but I was just told by my VPN provider:

"BBC started aggressively blocking access if a VPN was detected a few weeks ago."

also:

"You will need to clear your browser cache after you connect and before you try to access BBC iplayer as BBC now checks browser cache for location info and will block access regardless of the Internet IP address if they find something giving away your actual location"

They have given me a custom gateway and it works fine now.

But I can't believe you can watch programmes on BBC iPlayer from an IP address outside of the UK as you say you do? No one can do that. You will get the message "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues. " If you do then you're some sort of magician. :)

The free VPN I tried today (10 GB cap so not useful long term) works if set to a UK location, but not a North American one. And that's the way it always is. The VPN's IP address is obviously not one recognised as a VPN by the BBC (yet).

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by StevePIraq » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm

I have been watching BBC iPlayer regularly including this morning using my PIA VPN with settings such as Singapore, Hong Kong, numerous US locations, plus many more. I have no need to clear my cache or anything else and I get perfect reception. However my BBC account does have a UK address and post code associated with it from years ago.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
404cameljockey
Guru
Guru
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by 404cameljockey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 am

StevePIraq wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm
I have been watching BBC iPlayer regularly including this morning using my PIA VPN with settings such as Singapore, Hong Kong, numerous US locations, plus many more. I have no need to clear my cache or anything else and I get perfect reception. However my BBC account does have a UK address and post code associated with it from years ago.
Wow still very strange. Even if you have a TV license in the UK, you shouldn't be able to watch with an IP address in a range outside the UK. Don't know what to say.... :bow:

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:47 pm

And I don't have a TV license in the UK, even stranger.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2273
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by StevePIraq » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Just checked and a UK TV license is a legal requirement but not linked to your BBC account, all the account requires is a
the following
Email address
Password
Post Code
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

JammieR
Novice
Novice
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by JammieR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am
Using my usual paid-for VPN program I can connect my computer to BBC iPlayer today and log in but iPlayer won't play TV programmes as it now sees that I'm outside the UK. I didn't use it for a while so I'm not sure how long it's been a problem. The computer program I use for downloading BBC content to my PC (to watch at a later date) also won't download TV programmes now for the same reason.

To test, I've downloaded a free VPN (with a data cap) and it connects and plays iPlayer programmes and the other program downloads.

I've a feeling BBC have blocked the VPN my pay service uses, anyone else have any issues? I'll drop them (not the BBC :D) a line if no-one else has problems.

(no holier-than-thou comments about piracy please, not interested as far as UK TV content is concerned :naughty: ).
To be honest i have had the same problem. I did a little research and found out a number of vpn providers catering theis niche. What I did was opt for the best Singapore vpn available in the market in term of price and features to watch bbc iplayer abroad.
Now its been six months and i am watching it without any problem. Some times the IP doesn't work but it rarely happens. :tsk:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arcadianagain and 5 guests