Music - what are people listening to now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Re: Music - what are people listening to now?

Post by Chromeman »

I have seen a lot of videos on Youtube from auditions from "XXX Got Talent", "X Factor" and similar contests from around the world, and I have discovered some really good voices that I plan to follow in the years to come:

Josh Krajcik (USA)

Uncle Jed (Australia)

Ella Henderson (UK)

Pentatonix (USA)
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

The Overtones

Post by Frank La Rue »

This started out with me checking out Paul Rodgers and Free and Bad Company on Youtube, stumbling over Paul MC Cartney performing "I saw her standing there" with Bruce Springsteen, then onto Beatles in Wasington 1964 and onto Billy Joel with his acapella "For the longest time" and subsequently onto the Overtones. Longwinded explanation, I know, but you tube puts up references and suggestions to an old man high on red wine on a Friday night and I went with the flow.

I have to say the Overtones is pretty good, a bit like the Manhattan Transfer in the late 1970ties, but not quite that good, but more than good enough. Male sexuality at its best from the guy with the deep voice.

The link to their version of "Pretty Woman" here:

One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

"Music - What are people listening to now".

Indeed an interesting caption.
What people, one may ask?
Different music for different people.
I sometimes prefer a piano etude by Chopin, sometimes a jazzy tune by Roy Eldrige or Count Basie, and sometimes even one of Rod Steward's recordings from his "American Song Book".
It's all a question of occassion and mood.
A friend is only one click away
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Lung Per wrote:"Music - What are people listening to now".

I sometimes prefer a piano etude by Chopin, sometimes a jazzy tune by Roy Eldrige or Count Basie, and sometimes even one of Rod Steward's recordings from his "American Song Book".
Rod Stewarts American Songbook is great, for me he is the closest you get to Dean Martin in our time, when he does these songs.
There is a concert DVD with Rod Stewarrt from Royal Albert Hall 2005, very enjoyable, where he does songs from the above collection
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I have taken to browsing Youtube on Weekends, for music clips. Whilst browsing various concert takes with Manhattan Transfer (Hearts Desire, Operator, Tuxedo Junction, The Boy from New York City, Gloria),
who have been one of my favourites since they emerged, I came accross Aretha Franklin.

I know she is good but had kind of forgotten about her. There are several versions of her song "Think", the version she does in the Blues Brothers - movie has a speed-ed up tempo and deserves a replay.

I ended up listening to most of the songs from both Blues Brothers movies, really exellent selection of soul and blues songs, including "Respect" with Aritha Franklin in the 2nd movie.
My wife was wathcing Thai soap opera on Thai TV on the PC. We both sat in the kitchen after dinner. Great night in! These are the things I hope will pull me through in Hua Hin retirement without getting bored. And if I do I can invite hhFarang over for a glass of wine...... :cheers:
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Fantastic song stuck in my head just now....
:cheers:
GN.

yummy:

Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Here is another cover of Radioactive that I really like:

Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

And this gem, Witney Houston and Cece Winnans performing Bridge over Troulbed Water;

Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Frank La Rue wrote:

Rod Stewarts American Songbook is great, for me he is the closest you get to Dean Martin in our time, when he does these songs.
There is a concert DVD with Rod Stewarrt from Royal Albert Hall 2005, very enjoyable, where he does songs from the above collection
Quite right, the Royal Albert Hall 2005 concert is great.
I like the Rod's interpretation of the American evergreens, but deep down I prefer the originals - Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Pat Boone (oops), Bing Crosby, etc.etc.
A friend is only one click away
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Lung Per wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:

Quite right, the Royal Albert Hall 2005 concert is great.
I like the Rod's interpretation of the American evergreens, but deep down I prefer the originals - Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Pat Boone (oops), Bing Crosby, etc.etc.
Yes, the Ratpack - I was introduced to Frank Sinatra by a friend at our age of 18, as his parents were into it.
Quite unusual at a time when we were supposed to like Deep Purple and Emerson Lake and Palmer. I actually bought quite a few vinyl LPs with these artists, I think Sammy Davies was my favourite but I remember fondly "Songs for Swinging Lovers" with Frank Sinatra - I actually ought to go back ans see if I can download it of find it on CD, now that you got me started......... :cheers:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I actually bought on DVD last year " Sinatra & Friends", with (THE) Nelson Riddle & his orchestra, Dean Martin, Natalie Cole and others.
I also bought Tony Bennet - An American Classic and Tony Bennet in Concert. He got a revival last year with quite a bit of attentiion - deserved in my opinion.
Great listening experiences whilst only listening or cooking food or other light activity which goes well with a glass of wine.

I'll be surpised if the Tony Bennet DVD's cannot be found at the Night Market - they are quite well stocked with popular artists DVDs
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Elton Johns latest album has been critically acclaimed to be one of his best albums of his 40 year career. Southern American blues, jazz and gospel influences, really good music - album title 'The Diving Board'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Henry 14th wrote:Elton Johns latest album has been critically acclaimed to be one of his best albums of his 40 year career. Southern American blues, jazz and gospel influences, really good music - album title 'The Diving Board'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip - Good news all around if Elton John manages to renew himself, he has an impressive songbook in his own right of course, but very predicable with the years.

We were talking about Rod Stewart a few posts back, I recently found a clip with Rod Stewart doing "Your Song", but not as a ballad , more like country- rock - rythm type of arrangement. I am not musically scholared so I do not know how to express it in technical terms. Eagles "Lying Eyes" has the same rythmic expression.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Talking of jazz, I just love this - three great artists in perfect harmony. The album this is taken from is my current flavour of the month indoors!

Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

hhfarang,
I remember that you asked about ska one time.
Here you go,