Book recommendations

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I'll admit to loving Harry Potter (the books - I find the films best left to their intended audience). I've read all 6 and will read the 7th when I have the spare cash to buy it (1,150bt? :shock: )

I loved the Narnia books, Roald Dahl's children's books, Alice (Wonderland & looking glass) as well, so I guess I like the magical genre. :D
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
dan
Amateur
Amateur

local bookstore

Post by dan »

i find the bookstore above the mcdonalds in downtown hua hin to be significantly better than the one opposite the sofitel but that is just one functional illiterate's opinion.

books have never been cheap and they aren't at the above either but the 300-400 baht i spend on the new book is probably better spent than on the mediocre bottle of merlot which i like to swill.

my latest recommendations, all purchased locally:

the kite runner by khaled hosseni......an emmigrants story and not a happy one

the march by e. l. doctrow......not a good time to be a southern belle as sherman marches thru georgia and the carolinas, forty acres and a mule(yeah, sure)

never let me go by kazuo ishiguro.......a very scary world in jolly old uk

i'm fairly certain if you don't like the above titles there is something wrong with u!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

DawnHHDRC wrote:I've read all 6 and will read the 7th when I have the spare cash to buy it (1,150bt? :shock: )
:shock:

There is adverts everywhere here, only a fiver in England.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BaaBaa. wrote:
DawnHHDRC wrote:I've read all 6 and will read the 7th when I have the spare cash to buy it (1,150bt? :shock: )
:shock:

There is adverts everywhere here, only a fiver in England.
I've seen those adverts - only a fiver, if you spend 50 Pounds first!
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lambella
Amateur
Amateur

Harry Potter

Post by lambella »

I've read all of the Harry Potter books including the last one, which I had on order and picked up yesterday. Saw the movie in Bangkok at the weekend. Not seen Imax before. Wow! Blogged about it.
Enjoyed the book, all of the books. They're fun, they're dark and yes, they're for kids. But give me Rowling over the graphic, misogynistic, male dominated Stephen Leather stories.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

We seem to be on the same wave-length here Dan.

Never Let Me Go was superb (Kuzuo Ishiguro never disappoints) - gave me slight nightmares, but a fascinating read.

Got 'The Kite Runner' in my case at the moment, was hoping to start it while invigilating hugely boring exams, but haven't quite managed yet. Will have to wait until the end of the term I guess...

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Bangkok Tattoo - John Burdett.
If it hasn't been mentioned before, try it.
Sure, a book about bars, drugs, corruption etc etc but written in the first person by a "fairly deeply" Buddhist policeman in Bangkok.
I enjoyed it anyway.
The English author also wrote a prequel - Bangkok 8. That's the police district in the capital that covers Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy.
Again, he's a Thai policeman/detective who is extremely religious and tries to explain to us "non-believers" the correct path - with some Thai reality.