What are you reading right now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by buksida »

I'm about halfway through Kafka's Castle .... he must have been to Thailand at some stage - the layers of bullshit and bureaucracy are frighteningly familiar.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, that's the point of "The Castle".
In other words, there is no point other than frustration. Going around in circles. Being obstreperous. Losing.
You should get hold of "The Trial". It's the same old headbanging stuff but,,,
I don't think Kafka finished it. He died in despair.
I think there was supposed to be a solution to the simple, straightforward legal issue but Kafka never got there,
What a writer.
The books will make you angry!!
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

'Bad Pharma' by Ben Goldacre. http://us.macmillan.com/badpharma/BenGoldacre

If this book doesn't make you spitting angry, it should. Even though I'm aware of the published deceits of this industry, it is still disturbing to have 'prejudices' and 'theories', confirmed by well researched facts.

Those who rely on 'studies say...' and 'evidence-based medicine' or simply leave it to their Doctor to know what is the best medicine for them, will have their beliefs shattered.

The number of 'tricks', the scale of the manipulation and the complicity of regulators, is a crime against humanity.

Compulsory reading for anyone with a pulse.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Why read a book that makes you angry/frustrated? For me a book is entertainment so I go for the lowbrow option of James Patterson, the various ex-SAS writers and thrillers in general.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

arcadianagain wrote:Why read a book that makes you angry/frustrated? For me a book is entertainment
What makes you think my choice wasn't entertaining? Read the reviews.

I enjoy Tom Sharpe, Terry Pratchett and Wodehouse but read this book for research purposes and because reviews had suggested it was an important contribution to understanding how our present medical system works. If you aren't angered, you aren't human but I'm over it. Thanks for caring. :thumb:
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

MrPlum wrote:
arcadianagain wrote:Why read a book that makes you angry/frustrated? For me a book is entertainment
What makes you think my choice wasn't entertaining? Read the reviews.

I enjoy Tom Sharpe, Terry Pratchett and Wodehouse but read this book for research purposes and because reviews had suggested it was an important contribution to understanding how our present medical system works. If you aren't angered, you aren't human but I'm over it. Thanks for caring. :thumb:
Good for you for reading a book for research purposes, I wish I had the commitment you have, but apart from venting your anger against the medical medical profession on HHAD where does your anger get you apart from needing the relaxation methods/yoga you also advocate.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

arcadianagain wrote:Good for you for reading a book for research purposes, I wish I had the commitment you have, but apart from venting your anger against the medical medical profession on HHAD where does your anger get you apart from needing the relaxation methods/yoga you also advocate.
I am not angry and this is the wrong topic for personal 'observations' which provide narrow windows of opportunity for others. Enjoy your reading. :cheers:
Home_and_away
Novice
Novice

Post by Home_and_away »

I've just finished The Kite Runner which was recommended to me as a page-turner. And now, The Great Gatsby, havn't seen the film yet.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Just done Bird Sense by Tim Birkhead, all about what it's like to be a bird. Absolutely brilliant - a real gem!

http://bird-sense.com/

Only got into this since moving to the sticks, 22 different species seen in the garden so far - and that's only when I'm looking.

Prior to that, I read The Expats by a new author, Chris Pavone. Its basically a 'spy-ish' sort of thing starring a female ex-CIA officer who leaves and relocates to Europe with her husband. I couldn't put it down - great read.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/215499/ ... ris-pavone

Just about to start Prague Fatale, by Philip Kerr. I've been saving this. Its another (the 8th) in the Bernie Gunther detective series, this guy being German and operating before, during and after the war - they go back to the 36 Olympics and up to Cuba - and all are based around historical fact (one of his books led me to The Real Odessa by an Argentinian journalist, Uki Goni, which was a brilliant, revealing read).

I love this series of books and always eagerly look out for the next one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 70422.html
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Following your recommendation, caller, I managed to download all nine of the Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr. I'd never heard of him before.
Have just finished "Field Gray" which I thought was excellent. Another 8 to wade through in time.
You know he brought a 9th out "A Man without Breath" earlier this year?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I do Lomu, that's already on my kindle for when in LOS! I didn't read them in sequence either, I bought Berlin Noir 1st, which is the 1st three books in one package, but the last two have been read in the order they were published.

Like you, I stockpile and take time to get around to everything. I still have about a dozen real books waiting to be read, plus the stuff on Kindle.

Glad you enjoyed Field Gray. I find the fact our 'hero' is not another UK/US based detective, plus its historical, refreshing.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I saw your post about Philip Kerr and Nazi German detective novels, I thought I'd read someone else doing that years ago but I've just had a look and I see he wrote the first one in 1989 so I think I must have read that back then.
I'll download a couple and give them another go.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If you both like historical fiction, have a go at Alan Furst. He writes spy stuff and is a master of it in a historical setting.
I've got two - "Dark Star" which was a great read and "Night Soldiers" which I'm saving for now.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm reading a George RR Martin novel at the moment. Science fiction.

I got myself a 2nd hand Kindle for 2k recently and already have more books on it than I'll be able to read in 10 years.
I'm really enjoying the opportunity to choose what I want, rather than picking the best of a narrow choice in HH. Especially in the field of sci-fi and fantasy - lots of catching up to do there!

If truth be told, it will take me a long time to come to terms with reading from a digital device instead of the real thing, but that's a minor complaint.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

lomuamart wrote:If you both like historical fiction, have a go at Alan Furst.
Thanks for the tip, I will go see!
Talk is cheap