Dan Singkhon (Directions please)

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Dan Singkhon (Directions please)

Post by ozuncle »

I have heard that this area is good for purchasing wooden furniture and recently on here also good for orchids.
Also an historical area for sight seeing.

Two sources said one hours drive but I have seached for a map without much success.
The best I could get was :-
Prachuap Khiri Khan
in Tambon Khlong Wan
4 klm from Khao Thoen Stone Park.
( Khao Hin Stone Park is located West of Town " Prachuap K K" I think. Highway 4 till 331-332 Klm then turn right.
8 klm to the stone park and the another 4 klm to the border.)

All this sounds OK but a google of Khlong Wan reveals that that town is west of Chumpon!

Either way it sounds like more than one hour.
Rather than waste a day, could someone please give me correct directions.
Thanks
:cheers:
You only live once.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I just found this set of directions on a furniture site:
Drive South on the Petchkasem Road through Pratchuap Khiri Khan and about 10Kms after the town there is a turning on the right for Myanmar. Take that road and follow it for about another 15Kms and you eventually arrive at the border crossing of Singkhon.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

You have to do a u-turn to make the right turn as it is a divided highway, and the turn towards Myanmar is not that easy to spot even when you are on that side of the road. However I believe that you can also get to it if you turn right at the set of traffic lights where you would turn left to go into Prachuap Kiri Khan itself, although i have never done it - maybe someone else on the board has?
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I think Wanderlust is correct. There is more than one way now. It is safer to follow the trodden route as per STEVE G's post although the distances are a little out.

Go south past the Prachuap Town lights. After a few kilometers you will see a sign on the right to Myanmar and Dan Sing Korn immigration. You have a travel quite a way further to reach a U-Turn for a truck. Once you have made the U-Turn and the left off of Petchakasem you will need to travel another 18km to the border crossing. Just head for the hills if in doubt.

Be prepared for some3 disappointment. I was there 2 months ago and everything was much more expensive than before and many shops had gone. In the hour I was there I only saw one truck cross the border. It was just after the cyclone which may explain the lack of Burmese on the site but does not explain the price increases.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Thank you all very much.
Won't be back till Nov but have printed this page and packed it in my bag.
:cheers:
You only live once.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I was there today. It is as Steve wrote. You don't have to do a U-turn, just straight over the other lane into the street to Dan Sing Khorn.
There is a very good and cheap Thai-restaurant about 2 km after the Sing Khorn Immigration office and 4 km before the border on the left side.
You cannot make a visa run here, because the border is only open to the Burmese for the market. We don't go for furniture (I found nothing nice for a reasonable price), but for flowers and plants. The fully blown orchids are also expensive (100-300), but the small ones you can get very cheap (10 Baht if you buy the whole stock). If you go with a Thai lady don't show that you belong to her and let her do the negociations. Otherwise you will pay the double price. Best time is in the morning of Saturday, then you have the most choice.