What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Pranburi Mangrove Forest

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Driving to Pranburi Mangrove Forest - Help?

Post by hhinner »

I think the boardwalk is actually less than 1 km, but it probably seems longer on a baking hot day :sun: . If you have time, there's a boat landing about halfway round with longtail boats that will take you down to and a short ways up the Pran river and back, taking about an hour, and costing 400 baht. When we did it, there was also a blockade of small boats preventing bigger trawlers going out to sea. The boatman said they were protesting about big trawlers and seafood companies destroying the livelihoods of small inshore fishermen by indiscriminate trawling in inshore waters.
Attachments
pranblockade1.jpg
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote:Yes, thanks for that BB, I'll have to pay a visit as I often use that back road to get to the beaches further south but I've never actually gone into the park.
How do you get across the river from the park to go further south? I thought that you would have to come back around? Maybe it is a different place? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote:I think the boardwalk is actually less than 1 km, but it probably seems longer on a baking hot day :sun: . If you have time, there's a boat landing about halfway round with longtail boats that will take you down to and a short ways up the Pran river and back, taking about an hour, and costing 400 baht.
There were distance markers on the boardwalk, which indicated that it was a lot further than 1Km, but I wasn't measuring, so can't be sure.

I saw the boat landing, which was deserted. There was a board up with a cost that was covered - I uncovered it a bit, and it said that it was a 50 min trip for 500 Baht. However, I would suggest that anybody considering a boat trip into the forest should seriously think about Mermaid Cruises, who have their specially designed electric long tailed boat, which cruises the river silently i.e. not frightening wildlife with engine noise.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There's not much forest involved with these boats. They just go downstream to the Pranburi river then upriver a ways through quite populated and industrialised area (i.e the fishing port) - so it's interesting from that point of view, but you won't see much wildlife (unless you count fishing boat crews of varying nationalities). We didn't actually get that far up the river to quieter stretches. I think it's just something to give some of the smaller boat owners a bit of extra income now that their main livelihood is being destroyed. Good point about Mermaid Cruises - the electric boat sounds interesting.

Also the beach at the forest park would be really nice, except for all the rubbish that marks the high water line.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We went back to the forest today expecting to see the swamp under water after the recent rain - we were disappointed. The only thing that had changed was the river that goes along edge of the forest had risen considerably, and the boats were running trips.

The wooden walkway has suffered a fair bit of weather damage, and the riverside element (50% of the walkway) was closed for repair.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Pranburi Mangrove Fore

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmmm...... Yet another set of photos which never made it to the forum:

Just a short drive from Hua Hin is a fascinating free attraction, The Pranburi Forest Park. You can take a walk through a mangrove forest on a raised walkway. The long raised footpath takes you deep into this eerie world, which wouldn't be out of place in a horror movie.

There is an abundance of wildlife to see as you progress through the forest (especially if you are very quiet).

About halfway through, there is a small dock, where you can hire a long tail speedboat, which will take you through the delights of the River Pran.

A bit further on there is a tower, which you can climb to get above the forest, with some spectacular views.

Outside of the forest entrance is a forest campsite, which leads to a very secluded beach. There is also a forest visitor centre on the campsite.

This little gem does not get huge waves of visitors, and it is not unusual not to see another person as you walk through.
20130327_104829.jpg
20130327_104829.jpg (137.1 KiB) Viewed 840 times
20130327_104836.jpg
20130327_104853.jpg
20130327_105254.jpg
20130327_105755.jpg
20130327_105952.jpg
20130327_105952.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 840 times
20130327_110232.jpg
20130327_110232.jpg (141.12 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: What's On & Where To Go Hua Hin - Pranburi Mangrove Fore

Post by oakdale160 »

The hash house harriers, the running/stumbling club has had some very good runs there. Must have been a huge project to build all those walkways.