Dan Sing Khorn Border Crossing & Market

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Dan Sing Khorn Border Crossing & Market

Post by Big Boy »

We took a trip down to this very cheap market situated on the Thai/Burmese border last week. This was my first time for a couple of years, and I was amazed at how much the area had developed:
The border crossing - not much change here.
The border crossing - not much change here.
Looking over the 'old' market, which was the entirety of the market during my previous visit.  Although it looks pretty deserted, it was well stocked when I took a walk around.
Looking over the 'old' market, which was the entirety of the market during my previous visit. Although it looks pretty deserted, it was well stocked when I took a walk around.
This is the start of the 'newer' purpose built market.
This is the start of the 'newer' purpose built market.
Rare orchids are one of the specialities of this market.
Rare orchids are one of the specialities of this market.
DSC01100b.JPG (146.24 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Wooden furniture is the other speciality of this market.
Wooden furniture is the other speciality of this market.
DSC01106b.JPG (133.23 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Full report and more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Alfasteve
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dan Sing Khorn Border Crossing & Market

Post by Alfasteve »

The market is more or less interesting - don't expect anything spectacular though!
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I was there Sunday for the first time in over a year. There is a large renovation in progress, new pavillions and cement roads. When completed it will be much larger than before. However, I'm not so sure I like it. It is losing it's charm and becoming just anothet market. I presume sellers didn't pay rent before. That must have to change, probably keeping some of the more local and folkloristic sellers out. Time will show.
Nice pics, BB.
A friend is only one click away
buksida

Post by buksida »

Word in Prachuab town is that the border will be opened to foreigners next year (2015). Inland travel still difficult due to the road conditions but at least visa runs will be doable there (that's if the Thai govt haven't banned them all together).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

This is the Google maps route we use on the bikes via Sam Roi Yot and crossing Ao Ma Nao runway.
:cheers:
GN.

Scenic route
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

buksida wrote:Word in Prachuab town is that the border will be opened to foreigners next year (2015). Inland travel still difficult due to the road conditions but at least visa runs will be doable there (that's if the Thai govt haven't banned them all together).
Now, that's interesting news. :D
A friend is only one click away