Chong Krajok Mountain (Mirror Tunnel Mountain)

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Chong Krajok Mountain (Mirror Tunnel Mountain)

Post by Big Boy »

Just 100Kms South of Hua Hin, Chong Krajok Mountain is a small mountain situated at the Northern end of the town. It is located in front of Wat Tharnmikaram 2. There are 396 steps to climb to the temple at the top, which is no mean feat for an old, overweight chap like me. Enshrined in the Golden Pagoda at the top are Buddha bones. There is also a duplicated Buddha Footprint. Tourists can request a certificate from the Tourism Department, Prachuap Kiri Khan Municipality to confirm they have conquered the 396 steps (personally, I was too knackered to bother).
Car parked, and this was the task ahead.
Car parked, and this was the task ahead.
DSC01240b.JPG (133.64 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Small fountain depicting the monkeys ahead of me on my climb.
Small fountain depicting the monkeys ahead of me on my climb.
DSC01243b.JPG (145.91 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
The stairway to heaven?  No, this only took me to less than half way up the mountain.
The stairway to heaven? No, this only took me to less than half way up the mountain.
DSC01246b.JPG (130.89 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
This was phase 2 of the climb (note the monk ahead of me)
This was phase 2 of the climb (note the monk ahead of me)
DSC01252b.JPG (132.54 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Almost there, and a huge poster telling me what a clever chappie I'd been surviving this far.
Almost there, and a huge poster telling me what a clever chappie I'd been surviving this far.
DSC01256b.JPG (152.51 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Plenty of targets sitting in the trees for the Monk to shoot at.
Plenty of targets sitting in the trees for the Monk to shoot at.
DSC01257b.JPG (164.14 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
The fantastic view looking North
The fantastic view looking North
The fantastic view looking South
The fantastic view looking South
The temple on top of the hill
The temple on top of the hill
DSC01273b.JPG (114.51 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
The way down
The way down
DSC01282b.JPG (141 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Full report/more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Chong Krajok Mountain (Mirror Tunnel Mountain)

Post by usual suspect »

Nice pics B.B. I've put this place on the 'take the wife there' list.. :bow:
So did you actually make it to the top..? Or send your good lady up there with the camera..?? :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is the town name the same as the mountain (for map reference)? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Your definitely getting around BB, at this rate you will have seen all there is to see within a couple of years :cheers:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

It's in Prachuab Khiri Khan (the town) itself.
Drive towards the beach and turn left at the traffic lights at the temple after the newish flyover I think.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

usual suspect wrote: So did you actually make it to the top..? Or send your good lady up there with the camera..?? :thumb:
My good lady had more sense - she stayed in bed at the hotel :D
prcscct wrote: Is the town name the same as the mountain (for map reference)?
As Frank rightly says its in Prachuab.

buksida provided some very nice photos from here a couple of years back. Main difference being the current 'hazy' conditions weren't prevalent, and buksi has a decent camera :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I've climbed to the temple twice. The 1st with a monk as he said the monkey's could be a pest. He explained the history, how it was built in honour of an earlier king, but that it was effectively abandoned as the monkey's kept wrecking everything! It was his turn to spend the night up there.

The 2nd time I (reluctantly) went up, was because the other half wanted to take water to the monkeys at the very top, I kid you not! So we lugged a 5k water bottle with us. Madness, I know.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

caller wrote:I've climbed to the temple twice. The 1st with a monk as he said the monkey's could be a pest. He explained the history, how it was built in honour of an earlier king, but that it was effectively abandoned as the monkey's kept wrecking everything! It was his turn to spend the night up there.

The 2nd time I (reluctantly) went up, was because the other half wanted to take water to the monkeys at the very top, I kid you not! So we lugged a 5k water bottle with us. Madness, I know.
You know, that could answer a question for BB. If they have "monks on monkey duty" and he saw BB planning an ascent, he may have gone up there specifically to keep the monkeys at bay. Interesting thought and plausible. Also explains why he wasn't too friendly having to do that as daily chores. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:I've climbed to the temple twice. The 1st with a monk as he said the monkey's could be a pest.
Strange that because as I started my climb there was a Thai man shouting frantically up at me in Thai. I could understand enough to know that he was warning me about the monkeys. Maybe he was telling me that I shouldn't go alone. Never mind, I actually like the monkeys - I find a soft word and no sudden movements, and they leave you alone. Its the people who show fear, and try to shoo them away who have problems.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:If they have "monks on monkey duty" and he saw BB planning an ascent, he may have gone up there specifically to keep the monkeys at bay. Interesting thought and plausible. Also explains why he wasn't too friendly having to do that as daily chores. :D Pete :cheers:
The Monk was making his ascent before I arrived, and arrived at/opened the gates a couple of minutes before I got there. He was definitely shooting the monkeys for sport - I don't think he even knew I was up there.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I certainly found the monkey's much less hassle - with or without the monk - compared to those at Takiap !
Talk is cheap
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

CHONG KRAJOK-2.JPG
I suppose Mr Big Boy will appreciate these early morning pictures or Khao Chong Krajok.
I am not an expert photographer as he is, and my fine Panasonic is out of order, so that I am now using a s
CHONG KRAJOK-1.jpg
mall compact Samsung...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nice :D

Embarrassingly enough, I didn't see the looking glass part during the 'report' visit. I have seen it since though.

Points 48; Position 20
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

CHONG KRAJOK-3.jpg
These 2 pictures are taken from the bridge over the railway, this one from the temple on the left before Khao Chong Krajok.