Wildlife killings at Kuiburi National Park

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Re: Wildlife killings at Kuiburi National Park

Post by Big Boy »

Nick NCFC wrote:I finally managed to go see the animals on Sunday this week and a thoroughly enjoyable day it was to.

The wife managed to contact them after weeks of trying and ascertain it was open so off we set, very easy to find and well signposted from Petkasem road the road was also surprisingly good once you leave the main road and head to the park.

Once you arrive at the park you pay your money and are allocated a guide and a driver. I took my parents who are over from the UK and the total price was 1300 Baht. I got in for Thai price with my D/L.

Once disinfected and in the park you drive around the various vantage points and the rangers contact the guide with updates on animal sightings. We saw elephants, Gaur, various deer, wild boar, birds galore and thought the whole experience fantastic. The animals are some distance away so binoculars are essential but the driver lent us his.

One note of caution not many of the guides speak English so try and go with a native speaker and contact the park before you go to ensure they are open.

This was one of the best days I have had in Thailand and so much better that going to see the tortured captive elephants that are around Hua Hin.
Nick, we're planning on going early next week. Is it signposted from the main road? How long did the drive take? Do you have anything else that might help such as GPS co-ordinates?

Mrs BB has been in touch with the park, and has been told the guided tours are from 2pm. Was this your experience?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

KUIBURI NP.JPG
I went there from Prachuap city where I live (green track)

From Huahin, you can take the 1014 before KUIBURI, or the 3217, 4 km further.
You will need less than one hour to reach KUIBURI, then about 20-30 mn to the Park.
There are signs on the way.

Sorry, my map is in thai only.

You have to be there around 14.00 in order to take the first visit. It is closed in the morning.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Gerard, you've confirmed the opening time, and that GPS co-ordinate will be invaluable.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

Big Boy wrote:.
Nick, we're planning on going early next week. Is it signposted from the main road? How long did the drive take? Do you have anything else that might help such as GPS co-ordinates?

Mrs BB has been in touch with the park, and has been told the guided tours are from 2pm. Was this your experience?[/quote]

Gerard has summed it up perfectly. I just followed Sat Nav to Kuiburi National Park lost GPS signal a few times but the road signs were really excellent with specific signs directing you to the elephant watching. Yes the tours are in the afternoon as that is when the best chance of seeing all the animals are.

Hope you enjoy your trip it's a great park!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you to Nick as well.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Arghhh...... getting ready to go, and SatNav won't accept Gérard's co-ordinates. :cry:

Will try N12 04'10.12 E99 51'31.46 as per Google Earth and hope sign posts kick in before we're lost.

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

On our last drive to Bang Saphan, there seemed to be lot's of signs to the park, good luck!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

KUIBURI-NP2.JPG
Using DEGREE / MIN / SEC coordinates,
N12 04'10.12 E99 51'31.46 is on the PHETKASEM at KUIBURI

The coordinates of the park are on the map.

Have a nice day there !
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looking forward to the pics and report - may want to start a new thread as this old news article is no longer accurate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson