Grocery shopping in Khao Takiab

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Re: Grocery shopping in Khao Takiab

Post by Big Boy »

I wouldn't rule out the bicycle option. Hua Hin's roads have improved significantly this year, and I'd be surprised if Google Earth has everything. A railway crossing is your problem, but I'm fairly sure there must be an illegal crossing under the flyover judging by the amount of motorcycles I've seen going through the gap there. Yes, the roads are major, but they rarely get busy (just avoid Cicada times).

Not sure where you are, but the [Edit] Soi 8 Soi 12 (or fairly close to 12) must be an option with a legal crossing, but you may have to go against the traffic for a few hundred yards - TIT.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

soi Takiap 8 just before Joy Market is where you make a left turn (heading north) to exit Khao Takiap to go out to the main highway.

this is the shortest and fastest route out to the main highway and soi 112.

go over the small bridge over the canal, cross the railroad tracks (no problem at all) follow the road out (called Hua Hin 91) to the main highway. then cross the highway at the intersection right in front of you and then get over to the left on the new streets that parallel the main road. the market is ahead on the left. then if you are on a bicycle you can come back the way you came. MUCH EASIER.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

Wow! Thanks guys! Yes, I found the small bridge and the 91 road. We stay at the Jamchuree so I guess it's a bit of a hike but maybe I will test it someday then. Cheers!
hhnewbie

Post by hhnewbie »

Takiab soi 8 is very narrow, there is an alternative with less traffic from where you are with the bike is turn left into the white temple to the end, there is a road along the canal that will take you to the railroad crossing, from there you can cross into Hua Hin soi 91 to Petchkasam. The Tesco Loutus next to the water park has produce, fruits and meats, it is open from 7 am to 10pm.
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

hhnewbie wrote:Takiab soi 8 is very narrow, there is an alternative with less traffic from where you are with the bike is turn left into the white temple to the end, there is a road along the canal that will take you to the railroad crossing, from there you can cross into Hua Hin soi 91 to Petchkasam. The Tesco Loutus next to the water park has produce, fruits and meats, it is open from 7 am to 10pm.
Yes, I found this one from the map. Seems even better, its easy to just follow the canal. How about the railway crossing, isn't it a bit dangerous? :shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Juice81 wrote:How about the railway crossing, isn't it a bit dangerous? :shock:
No, it's a proper crossing with barriers and audible signal. Visibility is good - no risk whatsoever unless you're stupid and run the barriers.

Points 41; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Juice81 wrote:
hhnewbie wrote:Takiab soi 8 is very narrow, there is an alternative with less traffic from where you are with the bike is turn left into the white temple to the end, there is a road along the canal that will take you to the railroad crossing, from there you can cross into Hua Hin soi 91 to Petchkasam. The Tesco Loutus next to the water park has produce, fruits and meats, it is open from 7 am to 10pm.
Yes, I found this one from the map. Seems even better, its easy to just follow the canal. How about the railway crossing, isn't it a bit dangerous? :shock:
it is not the railroad crossing that is dangerous, it is the main highway you have to cross that is dangerous. i go through this "intersection" almost everyday and it is one of the most dangerous places i have to deal with in Hua Hin, and I drive all over everyday. i ride a motorcycle and race all over and this intersection still scares the sh*t out of me.

so when you get to this intersection, just wait for a break in the traffic, it could be five minutes, and try to group up and watch the Thais as they make a break for it on their scooters.

you might luck out and there will be no traffic at the time you cross, but late afternoon is mad max.

also, about the road from the white temple, the road runs straight into a house. it looks as if the house was built in the middle of the road. but just keep going and on the right side of the house you will see a dirt mud path that you use to get to the road that is just beyond the house that runs along the canal.

there was a bridge over canal and you could drive a car to the canal road, but no more. i was just able to get my scooter past the house with the help of two people. so i don't go that way anymore. should not be a problem for bicycle.

and yes this way is less traffic until the main highway.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

Haha, okay guys...! Thanks really for all the valuable advices, this is really overwhelming! :D :D At first I thought that okay this is too dangerous for me to try out, but as I read Big Boy's story about the house build in the middle of the road and the mad max crossing, I really have to take the challenge and see it all with my own eyes! Just a bit worried to try doing all this with big grocery bags hanging on the handle bar... :mrgreen:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why bother crossing the the road junction (intersection)? Many Thais (and Farangs) would just ride in the wrong direction - not that I condone it, but TIT. It's only a couple of hundred yards until you get to the new bit of road that goes past the front of Vana Nava - just get off and push the bike. It will be faster and safer than going across that road.

Points 41; Position 18
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

Quite simple really. Hit the temple markets on Tues & Sat for fresh fruit/veges/meat (?). Plenty there and even some fresh seafood. Or even the fish markets close by for the seafood. Get up to Market Village to stock up on other stuff from Tesco. Simple baht bus ride up and back from the Takiab Police Station area. 10 baht each way. For emergency stuff, you can either hit the two Family Marts or the new bigger 7 Eleven just opened next door to the old Sea Markets. And as stated, there are a couple of bigger supermarkets in Takiab village area. Plenty to choose from without getting stressed and getting over to the big markets near the water park. Stuff you think may be too expensive or difficult to get, consider bringing with you. Cheers.