Halloween in Hua Hin

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Halloween in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

It will have been a few years since I'll have been in Thailand at the end of October. Certainly during previous visits Halloween was not celebrated (if celebrate is the right word). We had a thread on here last year mentioning celebration of Halloween by kids in Thailand, and I was wondering if the craze had reached Hua Hin, and if it has, how well is it supported?

I know the Thais love anything scary to do with ghosts etc, so I'm assuming it would be right up their street.

Do kids actually go from door to door collecting treats as per the Western World? If they do, are there any areas in particular areas that they go? Are there any areas to avoid?

Don't worry guys, I'm not coming to Thailand looking for kids - I'm just wondering whether or not to bring Halloween bits and bobs with me for my grand daughters.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Halloween in Hua Hin

Post by migrant »

I remember seeing lots of signs that bars and clubs in the BKK area were having parties and pushing costumes. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

You don't get any of the western type stuff BB.

Possibly just a few Bargirls in kinky Dracula costumes.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Last trip 2 years ago I did notice more Halloween stuff about than previously, and a few kids in masks etc - but can't say there was any hassle from them. Maybe those children who have one farang parent are becoming more aware of 'trick or treating' though - but I would expect they are closely supervised and controlled! Most Thai kids will be more concerned with getting ready for Loi Krathon. :twisted:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

How was it last night, any kids out and about? Last year we had only about 10 over this side. Last night around 40. :shock: Growing in popularity each year it seems. Thai kids with parents both Thai made up about 20%. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We didn't go into the central area, but here in the Bon Gai area we only saw 1 DVD seller with blood coming from his mouth, and there were quite a few lanterns being taken around the grounds of the Catholic school. A non-event really.

Points 48; Position 20
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

bintabat was pretty quiet last night no buzzzzzzz
last year was better more people n costume and a buzz about the streets not enought people around
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The first couple of Halloween's we were here a few kids came, but none last year or this year.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

BB wrote -
we only saw 1 DVD seller with blood coming from his mouth
Maybe he had sold someone a dodgy copy of a film... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, the special effects weren't that good - B Movie standard. :twisted:

Points 48; Position 20
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

As i recall last year a few bars had a little bit of spooky decoration but there was two or three bars that really got into the spirit of it and i would have given first prize to El Murphys that place looked really good with a skeleton hanging from the door.
I think the Hilton had a fancy dress party as a lot of the tourists had made an effort to dress up so we avoided that place.
Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

bozzman101 wrote:bintabat was pretty quiet last night no buzzzzzzz
last year was better more people n costume and a buzz about the streets not enought people around
Thats weird - I went down Bintabahn about 10/10.30 and it seemed quite busy, as did Poolsuk. Plenty of farang and Thai dressed up. One or two expats commented that it was the busiest they'd seen those Sois for a long time. Not all the bars had customers mind but Lucky Lukes was full as well as some of the bars on the back Soi. :alien:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's upon us again on the 31st. I see no threads other than this one, so no idea what happened and if there was any kid door to door activity the past two years. You were here last year BB, any kids come to your house?

Anyway, one of my favourite holidays just to see the kids having so much fun in my area, Thai and farang. Let's hope it doesn't rain, and post up photos of any goblins you may see out and about. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nothing whatsoever happened last year :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pete, kids going door to door is very much a US phenomenon. I've never experienced it in Europe except for a few scallywags jumping on the TV-inspired bandwagon and certainly not here, and frankly, I suspect most parents would be horrified at the thought these days - sadly.

I remember 'penny for the guy' when I was kid, but I suppose that's a thing of the past now too. <sigh>
This is the way