[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by Wado-Karate »

Keen is good :D

Hopefully, when she starts collecting her badges, she will become even keener.
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You should have a special badge for Takiap and others depicting a parent with a broken arm and stars circling over their head, to wear when the kids start practicing on them! :shock: :P Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Poor Takiap deserves an extra special award as his wife attends the adult classes as well. :wink:

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Good friend of mine attends to, he says her first are like razors!
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

:wink: Now you know why I invested in pads for her to hit, rather than me. :wink:

Seriously, it's no good if the first punch you feel, is in a real fight.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

It's not my wife I have to worry about because she takes it easy on me. My daughter is a different kettle of fish though, and for some reason thinks Dad cannot feel pain. :shock: :laugh: It's amazing just how much pain her tiny feet can cause, especially if her aim is off and she kicks something she should never ever be kicking. :oops: :shock: :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

:lach: Good girl - I've been teaching her to kick high. I guess when you're only 4 feet tall, high is relative.

A tip from one who encourages her to hit him - when practicing fighting, I've been going down on my knees - this will make your precious bits a little less vulnerable.

PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Takiap wrote:It's not my wife I have to worry about because she takes it easy on me. :
You're lucky - that knuckle strike to the throat she throws is a killer!
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

But she always says "Sorry" afterwards :D

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi John

Well, with Kaylene's first assessment behind her, and her next one due next week, we're just wondering when the third assessment will be, and what will be expected of her? I know you sent me the syllabus, but I think I'm a little confused by it all. :oops: :shock:

She really does have her mind set on getting that red belt. :thumb: Anyway, she's still loving it, and she kept on telling me that she had a load of fun last night. I just wish she was enthusiastic about going to school. :laugh: I got a feeling she's gonna take after her Dad in that respect, but oh well.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

You will see that earlier in thread that I quoted 'minimum' timescales for moving between each grade etc. Those timescales were based on the UK's 1 hour sessions. As I run 2 hour sessions, I can basically halve those times. However, progression is not just for attendance - at each stage, there will be a level of skill that also has to be achieved. At the early stages, skill will not be too much of a problem, so progression should now be quite rapid.

At the stage Kaylene is at, we merge 10th and 9th Kyu together. Next week's assessment (part of 10th Kyu) is simply being able to tie her belt correctly. She achieved it OK several times yesterday, and I don't see any problem in her doing it under test conditions next week. However, please make sure that she practices regularly over the next few days. At that point she will have gained the requirements of 10th Kyu.

The 3rd assessment, which will hopefully be 3 weeks afterwards will include elements of 9th Kyu. This is where the skill starts to kick in, and she has to get it right. We were practicing elements of her 3rd assessment last night, and she was doing very well.

It is also important that she remember the Japanese terminology. At each stage of learning, the syllabus has Japanese words, and their English translation that it is important for her to learn - homework so to speak i.e. for 10th/9th Kyu, she needs to know:

Kihon ................. Basic
Sonoba .............. Stay in the same place
Tsuki (or Zuki) .... Punch
Uki .................... Block
Geri (or Keri) ...... Kick
Dachi (or Tachi) .. Stance
Shiko Dachi ........ Feet apart, about twice shoulder width, toes pointing out.
Chudan .............. Middle area of body
Jodan ................. Upper area of body
Gedan ................ Lower area of body
Shizen - Tai ........ Natural stance, feet apart same width as shoulders
Ichi ................... One
Ni ..................... Two
San ................... Three
Shi (Yon) ............ Four
Go ..................... Five
Roku .................. Six
Shichi (Nana) ...... Seven
Hachi ................. Eight
Kyu .................... Nine
Ju ...................... Ten

Once she has passed her 3rd assessment, she will hopefully move on to her Red Belt grading 3 to 4 weeks later. That will involve:

The student will be expected to perform the following:-

1. Know the correct etiquette.

2. Kihon - tsuki (Shiko - Dachi).

Sonoba - Zuki
a. Chudan
b. Jodan

3. Kihon uki (Shiko - Dachi).

Sonoba - Uki
a. Jodan - Uki
b. Gedan - Barai

4. Kihon - keri (Shizen - Tai).

Sonoba - Geri
a. Maegeri Chudan

Here is the associated video of what she will need to do (quite basic at this stage):

As gradings and assessments cost a little extra, please be assured that I will not put her forward until I'm sure that she is ready.

If you have any other questions, please don't hessitate to ask.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS

Adult Kyu Gradings will take place on 18 Dec 12

Childrens Kyu Gradings will take place on 19 Dec 12

Due to work commitments and the festive break, the club will be closed from 20 Dec, re-opening on 8 Jan 13.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Sincere apologies to both Jaime and Pharvey if the above announcement has spoilt your plans - I was looking forward to meeting you. However, you are still welcome to pop around after 26 Dec 12 - I'm sure we could sort something for you to help work off the Christmas excess (it'll help me as well) - just give me a shout.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

As the big day draws near, I would like to wish all club members a very happy festive season, and I look forward to seeing you all in the new year.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Have you eaten too much over Christmas?

Does your belt feel tight after all of that festive fayre?

If the answer is YES, then why not get yourself back into shape again, while learning an important life skill at the same time - self defence?

The Wado Karate Federation re-opens on 8 Jan 13 for anybody who needs that little bit of help to get back into shape.

As always, the first (2 hour) session with the Wado Karate Federation is totally free of charge, and no obligation whatsoever to come a second time.

Contact details are:

Telephone 0904 348797 (English)
0904 406013 (Thai)
e-mail: wadokaratefederation@gmail.com

Just give us a call, and we can discuss your personal requirements. Otherwise, I will be at the Hua Hin Forum 10th Birthday Party on 2 Jan 13 (If you're wondering who I am, I'll be the one dueting Gangham Style with Terry :oops: ). I will be happy to discuss with anybody then.