[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by Wado-Karate »

As you can see, there were a few additional minor changes to the shirts.

Sensei John with the Children's Class sporting this year's must have fashion accessory:
DSC00466.jpg
DSC00466.jpg (121.82 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
DSC00468.jpg
DSC00468.jpg (133.75 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Looking good there John.....
Looking forward to returning to Hua Hin and hopefully getting the training schedule back online.
Hope the training is progressing ready for your fight. Might have to drag you out for some early morning runs...
Regards,
GN.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Hi GN, you won't have to drag me. I'm doing the hua Hin Half Marathon before work next week.

Looking forward to your return. If you want your shirt now, let me have your post details, and I'll send it.

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks for the shirt, I will collect it from class when I get back near the end of the month.
Currently ~100Kms offshore Borneo so doubt I'll get any mail.
Good luck with the half-marathon... let us know how you get on.
GN.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

karate.jpg
karate.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 1162 times

Simijim
Novice
Novice

Post by Simijim »

Trying to find Wado-Karate Dojo. Can some one give me directions. Tried following map on Facebook to no avail.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Hi Jim,

My contact details are on the first page of this advertorial, and the 'About' section of my Facebook page. Give me a call, and we can meet up nearby. You can then follow me to the Dojo.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Big Boy

Re:

Post by Big Boy »

Simijim wrote:Trying to find Wado-Karate Dojo. Can some one give me directions. Tried following map on Facebook to no avail.
Jim,

The Wado Karate Federation does feature on the Hua Hin Map http://www.maphuahin.com/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Club Announcement

There will be no training on 22 June 2015. Sensei John will be competing in the Pattaya Martial Arts Grand Championship 2015.
Pattaya.jpg

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT

The road is being re-laid leading to and outside the dojo. Please take care, especially after dark, when coming to the club.

The road surface will be slippery, and there are open manholes.

This disruption will go on for several weeks.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT

A reminder to all students that there will be no training on Monday 15th or Monday 22nd June.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks John, and I wish you the best of luck for the upcoming competitions,

Go kick some ass. :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I accompanied Wado-Karate to the International event in Pattaya last weekend, The Pattaya Martial Arts Grand Championship.

This was a huge tournament hosting International Competition in many Martial Arts. Personally, I think they took on too much for one tournament as organisation was 'Thai' to say the least. However, despite the many frustrations, a good time was had by Sensei John's followers.

It has been said many times on this thread how Wado Ryu (karate style) is disliked in Thailand, and that hatred was shown yet again, resulting in Bronze, when it was clear that he should have made the final to take Silver or Gold (don't take my word, watch the semi final video below).

Quarter Final

There was a huge wait prior to Sensei John’s fight (after being told he had to be in the stadium before 8am. In this time he sought out his first opponent, and tried to suss him out. His opponent was a dream come true – his opponent was not a karateka. His opponent was primarily a Muay Thai fighter who had dabbled in some real martial arts. John had always wanted to try his karate against a Muay Thai fighter, but he had only really seen the fakes who tours the bars getting hit for a few Baht, and a bottle of beer. His opponent admitted that this was his first karate competition.

Other time waiting for the fight was spent warming up/sparring with Fraser, who had travelled over to help John.

Before John was allowed to fight, he was made to remove the Thai flag from his Gi by the referees. If they read the rules, they actually stated that opponents had to wear the flag of the country they were representing on their Gi. John was the only person complying with this rule in the whole arena, but of course, he was Wado Ryu - persona non gratis in Thailand. Anything to put the non-Shotokan competitor off - yes, it is that blatant.

After something like a 8 hour wait, John was eventually called to the mat. His opponent looked quite fit. Within seconds of the fight starting, it became clear that John’s opponent knew absolutely nothing about karate (probably harsh – he knew how to tie his belt).

Mind you, having said the above, John’s opponent was a very good fighter. He was not your average ‘fake’ Muay Thai fighter, his Muay Thai was good. John’s fight style was not very effective against this style of fighting, and it was obvious to me that all John had to do was to keep his cool, not get drawn into a scrap (which could have gone either way) and not get hurt. This guy was going to get himself disqualified without a doubt. At this level of competition you need 10 warnings to get disqualified. His opponent landed one legal shot all match, so it was a matter of sit back and let the guy get himself disqualified.

John (Blue) is quite a gentle mannered guy, but his opponent’s first kick to the head hurt John and was likely get his heckles up. He kept his cool, but illegal shot after illegal shot kept coming in. About half way through the contest, John started to react, and gave some back (just as illegal). My heart started to sink as John’s heckles were up and his opponent started showboating, thinking he was Mohammed Ali. I must admit, I’ve never seen showboating like this in all my years of watching karate, and I’m sure it must be against Dojo etiquette. The fight was turning into more of a street fight that a karate contest, but planned or not, John’s aggression drew in the 10th illegal shot – game over.

John had a chat with his opponent afterwards, and I think the conversation was better than the fight. It went something like:

Opponent: “I don’t understand how I lost. I was all over you.”

John: “When you get back to your Dojo, ask your Sensei to teach you the rules, and Dojo etiquette.”

Conversation over.

John had not won his way into the semi final through aggression or fighting (although he only took the one powerful shot). He had used his many years of experience, and did enough.

Semi Final

With a medal secured, the rest of the day was without mega pressure. Well, Sensei John’s (Red) semi final opponent was a joke to be in the semis. He had no game plan, made singular attacks, and just stood there with no guard waiting for John to deliver whatever punishment he wanted with his counter attack followed by What seemed to be a lot of acting. If this were a boxing match, it would have been stopped because John’s opponent could not defend himself.

There were a few very dubious points awarded to John’s opponent and somehow the contest finished even. As usual, the Wado karateka in Thailand was not being scored fairly

John actually gets more action from his punch bag in the Dojo rather than this guy – at least the punch bag swings when it is hit. Unfortunately, John was enjoying this farce so much; he didn’t keep an eye on the scoreboard.

In 2 days of watching all of the contact sports, we didn’t see the medics called upon once until this fight. Then just like a London Bus, they were called to the mat 3 times (although I stopped the video when they were treating John’s opponent). This guy was glazed, had a 2” gash in his head and had lumps and bumps everywhere by the end. This was actually John’s downfall – he was miles ahead, and rather than just running around the mat keeping out of trouble, I think he actually saw a punch bag rather than a human being in front of him.

I think John frightened himself when a single punch created the 2” gash – he’d never hurt anybody like that (the true power of a Martial Artist). He did back right off at that point. I was sat in the stands, and I could see the other guy’s eyes rolling like something out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I think John’s travelling entourage were thinking – finish it, but alas, after his self induced shock to his system, it is just not the karate way.

Don’t ask me how – just watch the video and judge for yourself, but the contest ended even. There was no sudden death to decide it, but the (did I say dubious?) judges awarded the fight 4-1 to John’s opponent (I think the fact he could hardly stand got their sympathy vote). I don’t know if you can see the impression on the face of the Judge who voted for John, but it tells a story. Looking at his colleagues, he’s basically saying what fight did you guys watch (see comment regarding Wado karateka above)?

The final was also a non-event, the diference being it was Shotokan vs Shotokan.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy, having watched the video, I honestly cannot see how the other guy could possibly have won.

All I can think of, is that the judges were secretly a blood thirsty lot and that they wanted to see John finish the other guy completed. Because he let them down, he was duly punished. :shock: :cuss:

I'm not sure if John has mentioned it to you yet, but it seem as though one or two of his students may be fighting at the event with him next year. I broke the news to Kaylene yesterday. :D

Anyway, a BIG congrats to John for bringing a medal back home.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:Big Boy, having watched the video, I honestly cannot see how the other guy could possibly have won.
This is not sour grapes, but a problem that Wado Ryu has in Thailand - John accepts it as a problem of living in Thailand.. Thailand has adopted Shotokan, and recognition of another style would mean somebody losing face because they may have adopted the wrong style.

Anyway, probable reasons for the fight being awarded to the other guy includes:

- He was Shotokan.
- He was representing Jacky Gym (Thailand's largest karate school).
- Jacky Gym trains mainly children, so he will have been a teacher and/or official.
- Several of the judges would be closely associated with Jacky Gym.
- As with last year's Thailand Open, many of John's 'scoring shots were ignored.
- He was gifted points to bring him level.
- I could go on, but I won't because nobody was upset about the result.

A Wado contestant winning a medal in Thailand was a terrific breakthrough. Anybody can see the other guy had no defence, and John was feeling a little embarrassed when the head was split open. We know (and I'm sure John's contestant knows) who really won the fight.

As for Kaylene entering next year, she could do very well. However, she will be fighting under the Wado banner, and might (will) suffer the same referees. The other thing to remember is the purchase of additional 'World Karate Federation (WKF) approved safety equipment - increases costs about 4 fold.

I also watched a lot of the kid's competition, and I'm convinced John's kids class could be there among it. It would be a great experience for them.

Points 41; Position 18