What's on in Hua Hin

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

What's on in Hua Hin

Post by StevePIraq »

We all make an effort to identify and promote events happening in Hua Hin and surrounds however we seem to struggle as so much is only promoted in Thai. The recent Hua Hin Bike week was one such event, even the organizers own web site only talked about the 2011 event.

I have searched all over and most web sites all seem to be much the same as HHAD, individuals posting about events they have heard maybe happening, surely Hua Hin has a formal tourism marketing office which has a web site.

There is this one http://www.tourismhuahin.com/ but yet another half complete site with out of date info

Today is the Kings Birthday, surely something is happening here but where do I find out.

Is there a web site which manages events in our area?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: What's on in Hua Hin

Post by blue05 »

think the answer to your question is no, sadly
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Things like HH Bike Night and the Jazz Festival are always promoted on here, usually along with the vintage car rally. The Observer also advertises these events - or should do!
Expats who are used to the annual stuff will ask around if they aren't sure of exact dates - but that doesn't help tourists.
I think the TAT probably realises that their target group are only staying for a week or two, so it's going to be pot luck if a tourist happens to hit a major event. And for most tourists things like the Bike Night for example won't be top of their agenda anyway.
Other events like Loi Khratong and Songhran are so traditionally Thai that the TAT maybe doesn't see the point of promoting them to tourists, who will turn up anyway if they are interested. (Certainly that is true of Songhran anyway.)
Other events such as the Kings' birthday are very personal to Thai people. They will welcome farang who are interested and respectful with open arms, but I can understand them not wanting to turn the event into a tourist free for all.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
buksida

Post by buksida »

StevePIraq wrote:
In a word no.

Hua Hin is a Thai tourist town, they're not interested in foreigners which is why events are promoted only in Thai with big posters around the town a week before they take place.

This section of the forum is the best place to find out the latest news and dates for current events, nobody sends us this information (though we have asked the local municipality and TAT several times) so we rely on our members posting and translating these flyers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I have always said that HH NEVER lets us know what events are coming up/going off.
I've also suggested before that those TV/info screens around town could/should be used for this purpose.
On a similar note can anyone tell me where the 'Centenery Park' is..?? I saw that the 'Motor show' is to be held there, but every Thai I ask has no clue as to where this place is..???
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

It is here.
Attachments
Centennial Park.JPG
Centennial Park.JPG (35.54 KiB) Viewed 669 times
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Cheers for that Roel..many thanks.. :cheers:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Also no advanced warning of the MIB coming round the bars last night & closing them all at midnight..while most of them were full..result..a street full of bewildered tourists, shutters dropped, lights out..thank you very much, please call again 2mrw..WTF was that all about? Who prompted the MIBs to do this..?? :cuss: :banghead:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

usual suspect wrote:Also no advanced warning of the MIB coming round the bars last night & closing them all at midnight..while most of them were full..result..a street full of bewildered tourists, shutters dropped, lights out..thank you very much, please call again 2mrw..WTF was that all about? Who prompted the MIBs to do this..?? :cuss: :banghead:
I'm surprised they weren't shut already in respect of the Kings birthday - sure they are normally closed?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Dannie Boy wrote:
usual suspect wrote:Also no advanced warning of the MIB coming round the bars last night & closing them all at midnight..while most of them were full..result..a street full of bewildered tourists, shutters dropped, lights out..thank you very much, please call again 2mrw..WTF was that all about? Who prompted the MIBs to do this..?? :cuss: :banghead:
I'm surprised they weren't shut already in respect of the Kings birthday - sure they are normally closed?
This confused me. I would have though they would all have been closed. Was very suprised to see them all open as normal.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

buksida wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:
In a word no.

Hua Hin is a Thai tourist town, they're not interested in foreigners which is why events are promoted only in Thai with big posters around the town a week before they take place.

This section of the forum is the best place to find out the latest news and dates for current events, nobody sends us this information (though we have asked the local municipality and TAT several times) so we rely on our members posting and translating these flyers.
This is probably the best answer to date and the section I have marked in red is IMO totally true. It would appear the best we can do is help each other by posting on here when we here of something worthwhile.
Enough said on this topic.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali