Is it safe to hire Jet Ski's etc. in Hua Hin?

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
peteytray
Rookie
Rookie

Is it safe to hire Jet Ski's etc. in Hua Hin?

Post by peteytray »

We hire Jet Skis and get involved in water sports in Bali every time we visit - but have been warned off doing so in Thailand (nowhere specific) and now we are visiting Hua Hin was curious if there is truth to the story about risks with regard to being scammed and people claiming damage when there was already pre-exisiting damage etc or are people/businesses in Hua Hin more 'honest' than what we found in Phuket (for example)? :-)
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Is it safe to hire Jet Ski's etc. in Hua Hin?

Post by Spitfire »

This subject is a bit of a moot point here and has had a lot of negative publicity.....be very careful doing it in Thailand anywhere.

Anyone selling you something on a beach in Thailand is probably a rip-off artist imo....and more than likely a criminal too or a least working for one to boot.

:roll:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

i would suggest trying the beach at kao kalok for jet ski hire,its a nicer beach,and mr moo who operates the business is an honest man.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Spitfire wrote:
Anyone selling you something on a beach in Thailand is probably a rip-off artist imo....and more than likely a criminal too or a least working for one to boot.

:roll:
It's a matter of perspective, I like to have lunch and a bottle of beer on the beach when I'm in Thailand and usually I feel far less ripped off than I do when I visit a restaurant in the city where I work in Europe.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Since the clean up, a bottle of beer on the beach is less than the price of a bottle of beer in Binta, or even most the bars in Soi 80.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Re: Sv: Is it safe to hire Jet Ski's etc. in Hua Hin?

Post by Ralfredo »

I would say that it's pretty safe. Of courses you can get scrammed but I would say that Hua Hin is a pretty safe place.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

STEVE G wrote:It's a matter of perspective, I like to have lunch and a bottle of beer on the beach when I'm in Thailand and usually I feel far less ripped off than I do when I visit a restaurant in the city where I work in Europe.
Perhaps to some extent that is so.....however, gone are the relaxed days of 10-12 years ago here and that vision of Thailand that existed then now only exists in TAT adverts or within stary-eyed tourists (and many live off it to feel good). Almost everyone is on the scam in one way or another here and most visitors to the beach cities (Thai or foreign) aren't capable of, or are unwilling to, look beyond the facade that is presented to them in a rinse & repeat fashion.

Denial has it's comforts.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Spitfire wrote:... stary-eyed tourists ...
A stary-eyed tourist... :laugh:

stary-eyed.jpg
stary-eyed.jpg (5.09 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
This is the way
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Indeed DM. I missed the 2nd 'r' out of "starry-eyed" due to beer excess on a Sunday. It is disturbing though that if you Google 'Starry-eyed' you get a page of ridiculous sites talking about some silly pop star and song....only on the second page do you get the dictionary definition and all........ :roll:

Modern superficial nonsence everywhere. 'The Voice' website gets higher billing than the dictionaries.....FFS. No hope for the future generations when glossy vanity driven drivel is more important than real education sources.

:|
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Spitfire wrote:
STEVE G wrote:It's a matter of perspective, I like to have lunch and a bottle of beer on the beach when I'm in Thailand and usually I feel far less ripped off than I do when I visit a restaurant in the city where I work in Europe.
Perhaps to some extent that is so.....however, gone are the relaxed days of 10-12 years ago here and that vision of Thailand that existed then now only exists in TAT adverts or within stary-eyed tourists (and many live off it to feel good). Almost everyone is on the scam in one way or another here and most visitors to the beach cities (Thai or foreign) aren't capable of, or are unwilling to, look beyond the facade that is presented to them in a rinse & repeat fashion.

Denial has it's comforts.
I don't think it's changed much, I've been based in Hua Hin for 12 years now and I still see the same watch salesman, the same old lady on the beach selling expensive pineapple and the same overpriced tuk-tuk drivers, they've just aged a bit, like me. All beach resorts worldwide are prone to be a bit of a rip off but I don't see it being any more prevalent in Hua Hin than anywhere else, I used to be a regular visitor to Bali and that was far worse.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Well, you may well be correct to a certain extent, but I guess there is always "space" in opinion between those that live here full time as expats (and have do so for a long time) and those that live here on an "in-out' basis.

On the other hand, I might be just too cynical....to be fair.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Spitfire wrote:Well, you may well be correct to a certain extent, but I guess there is always "space" in opinion between those that live here full time as expats (and have do so for a long time) and those that live here on an "in-out' basis.

On the other hand, I might be just too cynical....to be fair.
You'll become cynical if you live anywhere for too long, that's why I keep moving around!